Windows 10: Restored Photos Folders all have today's date. How to sort by date of actual photos?

Discus and support Restored Photos Folders all have today's date. How to sort by date of actual photos? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My hard drive died this month, so with my new one I had to restore everything from my Backblaze backup. When I did so, all my albums/folders in Photos... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LadyTerentia, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Restored Photos Folders all have today's date. How to sort by date of actual photos?

My hard drive died this month, so with my new one I had to restore everything from my Backblaze backup. When I did so, all my albums/folders in Photos have today's date, the date they were restored and put on my new harddrive. Instead of being organized by the date of the photos like they were before, they are all jumbled up because windows thinks everything was made today. If I open up the individual photos folders, I can check the details of my photos and they have their old correct date on them for both Created and Modified. Is there any way to update the folders' dates to match the photos inside them, or get Windows to actually sort them by the dates of the photos inside the folders? My photos folder is a mess right now due to this.

:)

LadyTerentia, Dec 26, 2020
  2. ATPerez Win User

Photos not sorting by the correct date

I recently plugged my phone into my computer to sort my photos from my camera roll into separate folders. Most of the time I haven't had any problems, but I ran into one today.

A large portion of the photos I moved today show up under "older photos" instead of the correct date.

I checked all the files and the photo properties do show the correct date.

So why are my photos not sorting correctly and how can I fix it?

ATPerez, Dec 26, 2020
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    Photos taken on today's date in the Photo App?

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

With Windows 10 Photos app, you can browse your collection by date, album, or folder. Or search to find a specific person, place, or thing. When you open the Windows Photos app, the app fetches your photos and shows them as large thumbnails sorted
    by the date they were taken.

The Collection section of the app shows the pictures sorted by the date taken. There are 3 boxes at the top right corner under Collections. Select the third box, scroll down to today’s date in previous year to see the pics which were taken or downloaded
    on today’s date in previous year.

To get more information about Windows 10 Photos app, please refer to the link:
    Windows 10 Photos app

Hope it helps.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community Moderator

Peer_Sam, Dec 26, 2020
  4. Restored Photos Folders all have today's date. How to sort by date of actual photos?

How to order photos in File Explorer by date and time actually taken

I've run into a surprising problem keeping my photos in order in Windows.

I have photos from two Android phones and a Canon point and shoot camera that may be unedited, or edited on the phone app or by the standard photo apps on my PC and Mac laptops.

By default, Explorer sorts by file timestamp AKA modification date. When Explorer is in "Details" view you can right-click on the fields header and add various fields, including "Creation date".

So ordering by creation date allows you to avoid sorting edited photos as newer than unedited photos since this changes the modification date.

But it turns out that moving photos from the Android phones via the USB cable, which uses MTP or PTP behind the scenes, causes the photos to get a new "creation date" timestamp of the time the files are moved, rather than the time the photos were taken!

Is there some way I can organize all my photos by date and time actually taken since neither the creation date nor modification date can be replied upon to reflect the time the photo was taken?

hippietrail, Dec 26, 2020
Thema:

Restored Photos Folders all have today's date. How to sort by date of actual photos?

1. Restored Photos Folders all have today's date. How to sort by date of actual photos? - Similar Threads - Restored Photos Folders

2. Photo app properly sorts photos by date taken, but all videos appear as taken today...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photo app properly sorts photos by date taken, but all videos appear as taken today...: I have an issue with videos not sorting chronologically as to date taken in Windows 11 Photo App. Photos all sort properly by date taken. Today I exported some old videos and photos from Apple's Photo Library app onto a flash drive and then imported into Windows app, using...
  3. Photo app properly sorts photos by date taken, but all videos appear as taken today...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photo app properly sorts photos by date taken, but all videos appear as taken today...: I have an issue with videos not sorting chronologically as to date taken in Windows 11 Photo App. Photos all sort properly by date taken. Today I exported some old videos and photos from Apple's Photo Library app onto a flash drive and then imported into Windows app, using...
  4. Sorting photos by date in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sorting photos by date in Windows 11: PLease can you explain how to sort photos by date taken when importing from an iPhone into WIndows 11? THis used to be very easy in Windows 10 but WIndows 11 doesnt seem to sort them by date. Thank you...
  5. Sorting photos by date in Windows 11

Sorting photos by date in Windows 11: PLease can you explain how to sort photos by date taken when importing from an iPhone into WIndows 11? THis used to be very easy in Windows 10 but WIndows 11 doesnt seem to sort them by date. Thank you...
  6. Microsoft Photos App sorting photos by wrong date

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Photos App sorting photos by wrong date: I recently added a large batch of photos to my PC that were previously in Google Photos.I like to use the Microsoft Photos app to view my photos by date, but the added photos are all showing up under the date that I added them Oct 22, rather than by date taken January 2019...
  7. Microsoft Photos App sorting photos by wrong date

Microsoft Photos App sorting photos by wrong date: I recently added a large batch of photos to my PC that were previously in Google Photos.I like to use the Microsoft Photos app to view my photos by date, but the added photos are all showing up under the date that I added them Oct 22, rather than by date taken January 2019...
  8. Sorting Photos by date

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sorting Photos by date: After the latest update to Photos, the option to import the photos by date isnt available any more. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sorting-photos-by-date/99a856b7-40a0-48ed-be3b-98b2986d869c
  9. Sorting photos by date

Sorting photos by date: I'm scanning and adding many old photos. The Photo app sees the Date Created as the date I scanned the photos. I thought if I filed them by date in My Pictures, they would appear by that date in Photos. Do I really have to go back to each photo and change the date created?...
  10. Photos taken on today's date in the Photo App?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Photos taken on today's date in the Photo App?: My Windows 10 Photo App used to have a featured box that automatically displayed all the photos I took or downloaded on today's date in past years. I think I accidentally deleted that box and I see no option to bring it back. Is there a way to restore this feature so that...