Windows 10: Restored told it to save files buy can't find them

Discus and support Restored told it to save files buy can't find them in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Computer would not boot and gave an error 0xc000000f Let computer do a factory restore and it gave me the option to save personal files so I chose... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by houtxhere, Feb 1, 2018.

1. houtxhere Win User

Restored told it to save files buy can't find them

Computer would not boot and gave an error 0xc000000f

Let computer do a factory restore and it gave me the option to save personal files so I chose that.

However, now I can't find any of the files.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Please talk to me like the dummy I am.

:)

houtxhere, Feb 1, 2018

2. Where does Win 10 place the files during a "save files and restore" function

My update failed! Machine locked up, finally went into restore-save my files and also the repair function neither worked. Placed the drive in a different machine to remove files and then do a complete restore of the drive. It seems the Win 10 restore
    function placed my folders in quarantine to protect them from being overwritten during the restore. I can't fine them where does the restore function park the files to save them, and can I retrieve them?

TonyRSVP1040, Feb 1, 2018
  3. Lost pictures when I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10.

Any suggestions or solutions to losing pictures during an OS upgrade? I upgraded from win 7 home premium to windows 10 and lost a considerable amount of pictures. Mainly the ones transferred from my phone.

The pictures were under saved and for some reason under sample.

Some of the pictures are in my windows.old but cannot be retrieved.

Some files say "We can't open this file".

Other files say they can't find the path, or the drive.

I have tried reverting back to Windows 7 and tried restoring the files to previous versions.

I can't system restore.

I've tried Recuva. It finds some of the files but cannot restore them.

Any help would be appreciated.

gabrielpicardi, Feb 1, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, factory restore uses a dedicated partition on your disk, there when you bought the PC, to restore it to the condition you bought it in.

I would not have expected an option to keep files, unless your manufacturer had done something very particular. If you say that's the process you used and there was such an option, I suggest you refer to your manufacturer.

Looking at your PC now, in your opinion, is it as it was when bought with any trialware that may have then been installed?

Or are you confusing factory reset with this:
    Reset Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

dalchina, Feb 2, 2018
  5. houtxhere Win User
    Yes I think I must have done the reset, but I can't find the files anywhere.

houtxhere, Feb 2, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Were you able to log in normally after whatever operation you performed?

If you are logged in under another profile then that might explain why you don't see them.

If you wanted to be thorough, then you could try booting your PC from Kyhi's boot disk (available from the top of the Software and Apps section here) and then use a portable 3rd party program such as this:
    Portable UltraSearch Download
    to index the disk and thus find any files irrespective of permissions issues.

Or you could connect the disk as an external USB disk to another PC and do that.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Restored told it to save files buy can't find them - Similar Threads - Restored told save

2. Can't find files after using File History restore.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find files after using File History restore.: Ack! Confused!I accidentally deleted all the folders jpeg, RAW and DNG photos from my desktop yes, every folder - I was deleting folders from a photo program and messed up royally.I'm using Windows 11 and used File History and 'restore', and I know they're back because a...
  3. Can't find files after using File History restore.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find files after using File History restore.: Ack! Confused!I accidentally deleted all the folders jpeg, RAW and DNG photos from my desktop yes, every folder - I was deleting folders from a photo program and messed up royally.I'm using Windows 11 and used File History and 'restore', and I know they're back because a...
  4. Can't find files after saving

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find files after saving: I'm using a program called Film Forth. I saved my project in C:\Users\jenlu\Videos\FilmForth. I'm trying to use WeTransfer.com to send the project via email. When i click Upload from WeTransfer and go to the correct folder, I can see the thumbnail of the project, but when I...
  5. Can't find files after saving

Can't find files after saving: I'm using a program called Film Forth. I saved my project in C:\Users\jenlu\Videos\FilmForth. I'm trying to use WeTransfer.com to send the project via email. When i click Upload from WeTransfer and go to the correct folder, I can see the thumbnail of the project, but when I...
  6. can't find saved documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't find saved documents: My computer is about 15 months old with Office Home and Student and was a warranty replacement. I was able to transfer data from the old to the new and this worked well until recently. Several weeks ago I transferred to Windows 11 - no problem. I have now found nearly all my...
  7. can't find saved documents

can't find saved documents: My computer is about 15 months old with Office Home and Student and was a warranty replacement. I was able to transfer data from the old to the new and this worked well until recently. Several weeks ago I transferred to Windows 11 - no problem. I have now found nearly all my...
  8. Can't find Saved page

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't find Saved page: All I did was click Save. It is a newspaper page. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find-saved-page/c0d40ad2-ba88-46bc-a27b-017610df85c5
  9. Backup program restored files that I can't find

in Browsers and Email
    Backup program restored files that I can't find: The bottom line: Files backed up, then restored from HP's built-in backup/restore recovery partition program can't be searched or seen or found after a restore. ====================================== I used HP backup utility built in to the recovery partition on an 8 month...
  10. Backup program restored files that I can't find

in Windows 10 Support
    Backup program restored files that I can't find: The bottom line: Files backed up, then restored from HP's built-in backup/restore recovery partition program can't be searched or seen or found after a restore. ====================================== I used HP backup utility built in to the recovery partition on an 8 month...