Windows 10: Restoring an old backup

Discus and support Restoring an old backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; in 2009 I backed up my wife's data onto discs before she got rid of her laptop. I now want to restore the data to my Windows 10 laptop but cannot find... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DavidMiller_616, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Restoring an old backup

in 2009 I backed up my wife's data onto discs before she got rid of her laptop. I now want to restore the data to my Windows 10 laptop but cannot find any software. Any ideas please.

:)

DavidMiller_616, Mar 1, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Restoring an old backup [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Mar 1, 2020
  3. sumasage Win User
    Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Mar 1, 2020
  4. Mark Ole Win User

Restoring an old backup

backup and restore

Hi,

With regard to your concern, it is possible that Windows 10 is not able to overwrite the old image backup. We suggest that you rename the
    WindowsImageBackup folder to WindowsImageBackup.bak and then try running the back and restore again.

Let us know how it goes after after performing the recommended troubleshooting steps.

Mark Ole, Mar 1, 2020
Thema:

Restoring an old backup

1. Restoring an old backup - Similar Threads - Restoring old backup

2. restoring backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    restoring backup: Need help with restoring function. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restoring-backup/0aa3dd4c-122c-4e70-a307-53c3854c093e
  3. Backup and restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup and restore: So I am trying to use Windows backup and restore tool on my Sony Vaio laptop and I can't get it to work someone please help. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore/82ca9cbf-e2a1-4116-83d7-002735c2c3be
  4. Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore: Why can't I run a system image backup on my new Windows 11 HP laptop. only 60 gb used on 476gb ssd? My external Hard drive has 841gb free, yet the back up stops saying there isn't enough room to create backup because of VSS doesn't have enough space? how much space does it...
  5. Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore: Windows backup failed. I am attaching screenshots https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore/7edd6d5a-3d6b-4840-a0af-eb95d5170697
  6. Restoring not very old FileHistory backups

Restoring not very old FileHistory backups: I have an issue trying to restore files from Windows 10 FileHistory. For the first time, on May 27 2020, I used option : Settings Update & Security Backup Automatically back up my files I had 'file history' turned on. The backups are being written to an external drive....
  7. backup and restore

backup and restore: Why won't Windows 10 Backup and Restore Windows 7 backup to a usb flash drive and yet it will back up to a usb portable hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore/102cb00f-7a92-443f-986c-01090b36d99d
  8. File History / Backup Restore of old files not possible?

File History / Backup Restore of old files not possible?: I have the following problem / question: I use "Back up using File History" to backup all important files (documents, etc.) on my PC. I got 2 external drives. One of them I placed into the Safe Deposit Box at my local bank about a month ago (with the status as per that...
  9. Backup old computer and restore onto new computer

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup old computer and restore onto new computer: A friend of mine smashed his all-in-on PC with Windows 10 Home and asked me to make a backup of his data and later restore the data onto his new PC. I have basically two questions about this: 1.) How do I do the backup best? Can this be done with Windows' own backup feature,...
  10. Restoring backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring backup: Hi I have windows 10 installed on an SSD. I backup the entire SSD using Macrium Reflect Free. I now want to restore the windows 10 installation. Do I need to restore the entire SSD or can I just restore the C partition ? Whats the best way ? Thanks 27393