Windows 10: Restoring autoplay after windows upgrade

Discus and support Restoring autoplay after windows upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Every time I do a Windows upgrade, Autoplay gets cancelled and I need to reset it in Control Panel and also in Registry. To simplify the routine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JosephPHILIPPA, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Restoring autoplay after windows upgrade

Every time I do a Windows upgrade, Autoplay gets cancelled and I need to reset it in Control Panel and also in Registry. To simplify the routine procedure, I would like a registry hack that changes 'e' to '1' in the value of the DWORD : 'NoDriveTypeAutoRun' under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer. Can anyone oblige ?

:)

JosephPHILIPPA, Jun 24, 2021

2. Program doesn't exist for Autoplay

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to set the Autoplay settings and check if it helps.

Follow the steps below.

• Press Windows key +X, select Control Panel.
    • Go to Control Panel and locate AutoPlay.
    • In AutoPlay settings make sure that you check Use AutoPlay for all media and devices.
    • Next click the Reset all defaults button. Your Autoplay settings should be reset to default.

Restoring autoplay after windows upgrade autoplay-problems-windows-10.png

• Insert USB or DVD to see if Autoplay is working.

You can also try downloading Windows Media Player 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=20426

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Jun 24, 2021
  3. AVJohnnie Win User
    Autoplay promt not showing in windows 10

This suggestion did not work - the Autoplay setting is already correct (and already set as suggested). Autoplay worked perfectly in Window 8.1/Pro (64Bit/w Media Center) before the Windows 10 Pro/64Bit upgrade was applied. I'm not interested in hearing
    about doing a clean install of Windows 10 either - especially when the problem did not exist prior to installing the Windows 10 upgrade. I have reimaged (image restored) the system back to Windows 8.1 twice, then allowed it to upgrade again to Windows 10-Pro/64
    - Same result ... Autoplay for removable media & devices is killed by doing the Windows 10 upgrade...

Next suggestion please...

AVJohnnie, Jun 24, 2021
  4. Restoring autoplay after windows upgrade

autoplay doesn't work after loading windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Please do let us know if you have installed all the pending updates on your device.

Also, check with the sound drivers as well.

I suggest you to check with the setting for AutoPlay and check if it helps.

Even if you have turned on the AutoPlay option, there might be some option chosen Choose AutoPlay defaults. I suggest you to check with those options.

Steps:

• Press Windows key, type AutoPlay and click on AutoPlay settings.
    • To enable AutoPlay, move the Use AutoPlay for all media and devices button to On.
    • Next you can choose and set your AutoPlay defaults.
    For Removable drives, the following options are available from the drop-down menu:

• Take no action
    • Open folder to view files
    • Ask me every time
    • Configure this drive for backup (File History)
    • Configure storage settings (Settings).

For Memory Cards, the options available are:

• Play video files using alternate
      software
    • Play using Windows Media Player
    • Take no action
    • Open folder to view files
    • Ask me every time.
    Set your options and exit.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 24, 2021
Thema:

Restoring autoplay after windows upgrade

1. Restoring autoplay after windows upgrade - Similar Threads - Restoring autoplay upgrade

2. Autoplay not autoplaying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Autoplay not autoplaying: Recently, my radio station stopped autoplaying. I searched and found How to Enable or Disable Media Autoplay in Microsoft Edge in Windows - Microsoft Community to remember where the setting resides. I checked and the url is still in the Allow section. Why won't it autoplay?...
  3. Autoplay not autoplaying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Autoplay not autoplaying: Recently, my radio station stopped autoplaying. I searched and found How to Enable or Disable Media Autoplay in Microsoft Edge in Windows - Microsoft Community to remember where the setting resides. I checked and the url is still in the Allow section. Why won't it autoplay?...
  4. Windows 10 Autoplay corrupted: empty options, restore not possible

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Autoplay corrupted: empty options, restore not possible: Hi, I hope somebody can support me here:After the installation of some photo editing software on my wife's computer all the autoplay options are either gone or overwritten.See picture:Please note, that I'm using the German version, but the German community was not very...
  5. Windows 10 Autoplay corrupted: empty options, restore not possible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Autoplay corrupted: empty options, restore not possible: Hi, I hope somebody can support me here:After the installation of some photo editing software on my wife's computer all the autoplay options are either gone or overwritten.See picture:Please note, that I'm using the German version, but the German community was not very...
  6. Windows 10 Autoplay corrupted: empty options, restore not possible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to restore Autoplay ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to restore Autoplay ?: Autoplay used to work well for permanently connected drives, whose power could be turned ON and OFF for the one connected by SATA and for the other the USB connection could be toggled. Now they do not Autoplay. I have checked the configurations of Control Panel, Settings,...
  8. Restore Autoplay Option: Import pictures and videos using Windows

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Autoplay Option: Import pictures and videos using Windows: I and others have asked this question before, but no luck so far. The Photos app is terrible, I've gone back to Windows Photo Viewer using the excellent tutorial. Windows Photo Viewer - Restore in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums Is there a way to go back to Import...
  9. Fixing Autoplay after the Anniversary Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Fixing Autoplay after the Anniversary Upgrade: Hi, frustratingly, the upgrade sets all default settings (there are many) to default, and autoplay off. These steps are necessary (in my experience). 1. Follow this old fix: Fixes for AutoPlay Dialog Box Not Appearing When Plugging in a Removable Device • Raymond.CC...
  10. Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10 AutoPlay lets you choose an action for different kinds of media when you plug in a device or insert media. You can set AutoPlay to open different kinds...