Windows 10: Restoring backup from an external drive

Discus and support Restoring backup from an external drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello everyone! So I recently backed up my hard drive to an external drive before reinstalling Windows 10. Now that I am backed up, how can I restore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/xnmvenom, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Restoring backup from an external drive

Hello everyone!

So I recently backed up my hard drive to an external drive before reinstalling Windows 10. Now that I am backed up, how can I restore the data back to its original place on my hard drive? Thank you in advance!

submitted by /u/xnmvenom
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/xnmvenom, Nov 29, 2020
  2. sumasage Win User

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Nov 29, 2020
  3. Free hard drive backup/restore program?

Obviously you're looking for something besides your Xp Pro utility that does this?

thoughtdisorder, Nov 29, 2020
  4. glassrat1 Win User

Restoring backup from an external drive

backup and restore

I thank every one that has replied to my post.

Mark the external drive I use has been wiped & reformatted,

there appears to be a backup on the drive after running a backup & image with Backup and restore Win 7 on Win 10

sys in the control panel.

but wile the backup is running it shuts down and says ( prep of one of volumes of the backup set it can not be accessed )

It appears that the problem is in the prep of one of volumes of the backup set Not in the external backup drive.

I did get one error stating that the external drive could not be found . ( but I found the error on the drive it says it

could not find )

glassrat1, Nov 29, 2020
Thema:

Restoring backup from an external drive

1. Restoring backup from an external drive - Similar Threads - Restoring backup external

2. Restore from Backup on External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore from Backup on External Hard Drive: I had to send my laptop to get repaired, so I backed up my laptop onto an external hard drive. I have gotten my laptop back, and as expected, everything is gone. I am trying to restore from my backup, but it does not seem to be working. I created the backup with Windows 10,...
  3. backup to external drive

backup to external drive: I want to backup my computer to an external drive. I have windows 10 in a partition on my MacBook Pro. when I go to backup it says "no usable drive found" even though I have my i-Portable plugged in...What do I need to do to make this work?...
  4. Backup to external drive

Backup to external drive: In the Backup section of settings, I click "backup now" and it doesn't back up. I have requested daily backups but my last one was 1 month ago. I am attempting to back up to an external drive. *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  5. External drive backup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive backup: Hi, recently I bought a new computer dell Inspiron small desktop, I also own a "Toshiba external hard drive USB 3.0 USB devise", which I used to backup my previous desktop computer for years where I saved valuable files and documents. Now when I tried to open this devise in...
  6. Backup to external drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup to external drive: People say to backup more so using Win10. Read some say to use other than Windows backup. If using such as Macrium Reflect. Would I need to create an Image of the whole drive on my laptop with my files/photos and system etc. So in the event of a failure/corruption etc, it...
  7. Restoring from File History on an external drive to a new external drive

Restoring from File History on an external drive to a new external drive: I have a computer including an external drive (which contains all the photos). These two things have been backed up to another external drive using File History. So far so good. Now, the drive containing the photos has been damaged and can not be used anymore. This means, I...
  8. restore files from external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    restore files from external drive: how to restore my files and programs after resetting windows 10? I backed up everything on an external hard drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-files-from-external-drive/10bb8695-d55c-41d5-9b2e-e0655b212d2a"
  9. Restoring from external hard drive

Restoring from external hard drive: My old laptop became non-functional (bad motherboard), so I uninstalled my SSD hard drive and have been using it as an external hard drive. Now, I would like to install everything on this external hard drive including the OS and files onto a new laptop. How can I do this?...
  10. Backup to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup to an external drive.: How do I connect my networked computer to my router connected usb hard drive for backing up my data? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/backup-to-an-external-drive/7b876cf8-b372-4ffa-b599-0fbc5c0b1109