Windows 10: Restoring Backup to New Machine

Discus and support Restoring Backup to New Machine in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello, I have small home based business and I have a computer that has all my software for accounting, orders etc. I paid a consultant good money to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by cakeMake, Jan 12, 2020.

1. cakeMake Win User

Restoring Backup to New Machine

Hello,
    I have small home based business and I have a computer that has all my software for accounting, orders etc. I paid a consultant good money to set and configure all that. He also said he put 2 drives that copy on each other so if one go bad, the other takes over. Have UPS. I have done everything that was needed and recommended.

Now someone told that what if the motherboard go bad, I will be left in a bad shape . I thought the regular backups I do on external drive can be taken to a new machine and I can be back in business. Is that not true? My understanding was I buy a new computer, open the backup and good to go in few hours. Is that correct or the restore only work on the same machine? If so what is the use of backup!
    Thank You.

- - - Updated - - -

To add, I have Windows 10 Professional. It has been customized with many changes to setting and some softwares to run my business to take order entry, run accounting , work with touch screen etc etc.
    Essentially I have spent a lot of time and money to get things going. I wanted to know what to do if other than harddisk something go bad and the computer is essentially not usable and I have to buy a new one and be ready in as short time as possible.

:)

cakeMake, Jan 12, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Restoring Backup to New Machine [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Jan 12, 2020
  3. sumasage Win User
    Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Jan 12, 2020
  4. twilyth Win User

Backup utility

Cobian backup will do file backups locally or to ftp, with or without encryption and compression. However it doesn't do image backups, which is really what you need if want to fully restore your system.

I've used the W7 back up program and Acronis a few times to restore a system and both work great. With Acronis though, you need to burn the recovery cd they suggest FOR EACH and EVERY machine you use it on.

One problem with W7 backup is that seems to break easily. On one machine I did an upgrade re-install and the backup utility doesn't work. No luck in trouble shooting it either. So I now rely on Acronis exclusively for image backups. But I use Cobian for file backups to ftp.

twilyth, Jan 12, 2020
Thema:

1. Restoring Backup to New Machine - Similar Threads - Restoring Backup Machine

2. Restore to a new machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore to a new machine: I backed up my Windows 10 machine to an external harddrive. How do I restore this backup to a new machine running Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-to-a-new-machine/12626566-92a4-4266-a0aa-f2d44c2fee41
  3. Restore to a new machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore to a new machine: I backed up my Windows 10 machine to an external harddrive. How do I restore this backup to a new machine running Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-to-a-new-machine/12626566-92a4-4266-a0aa-f2d44c2fee41
  4. Restore to a new machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Restoring windows backup in a new array

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring windows backup in a new array: Hi,I am responsible for operating windows server 2016. The server has 3 hard drives, and the controller is on RAID 0 mode. I want to change the array to RAID 1. Can I backup the server to an external drive, change the array to RAID 0, and restore the backup using the CD...
  6. Restoring windows backup in a new array

Restoring windows backup in a new array: Hi,I am responsible for operating windows server 2016. The server has 3 hard drives, and the controller is on RAID 0 mode. I want to change the array to RAID 1. Can I backup the server to an external drive, change the array to RAID 0, and restore the backup using the CD...
  7. Backup and Restore from a windows 10 machine to a new windows 11 one.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore from a windows 10 machine to a new windows 11 one.: I recently got a new computer with windows 11. My old computer is a windows 10 machine. I backed everything up from the windows 10 machine to an external harddrive a LaCie 4TB one to be exact, using FileHistory, the one where you go to Settings>Update & Security>Backup.Now my...
  8. Backup and Restore from a windows 10 machine to a new windows 11 one.

Backup and Restore from a windows 10 machine to a new windows 11 one.: I recently got a new computer with windows 11. My old computer is a windows 10 machine. I backed everything up from the windows 10 machine to an external harddrive a LaCie 4TB one to be exact, using FileHistory, the one where you go to Settings>Update & Security>Backup.Now my...
  9. How to restore W10 backup from old machine to a new machine

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to restore W10 backup from old machine to a new machine: The old machine is FX6300 on Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 and the new machine is Ryzen 5 5600X on Gigabyte X570X AORUS Ultra. I want to restore a W10 backup onto the new machine I assembled. I have been using a disk utility for quite some time to create backup images and restore...
  10. BAckup and restore for new User

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BAckup and restore for new User: Hi All Used to be windows user in the xp days and then went to mac. Now Mac's are becoming way too expensive and Windows 10 seems to be a more stable product, I am looking to move back. With Mac I can do a Time Machine backup and just restore all my programs, settings etc...