Windows 10: Restoring BitLocked D drive data when the operating system on drive C is damaged

Discus and support Restoring BitLocked D drive data when the operating system on drive C is damaged in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello. I am using C and D drives by partitioning notebook SSD partitions, Win10 for C and D drive for data storage. I put BitLock on the D drive. Due... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by 가로리, May 8, 2019.

1. 가로리 Win User

Restoring BitLocked D drive data when the operating system on drive C is damaged

Hello.

I am using C and D drives by partitioning notebook SSD partitions, Win10 for C and D drive for data storage.
    I put BitLock on the D drive.

Due to an abnormal shutdown of the notebook, the C drive partition area is corrupted, so it can not boot and boot using bootable USB.
    I can unlock the BitLock of the D drive using the restore key, and I have also checked the folders and files inside.
    In addition, the D drive was in a state of BitLock at abnormal termination.

However, I want to copy using xcopy, IO error occurred and copying was not done and monitoring is done with Chkdsk
    A log of some areas is corrupted.

Here,
    Will I be able to restore the C drive and reformat the drive C, reformat the drive, and then install the OS D without restoration?
    In other words, when the C drive was damaged, the D drive was bitlocked, so is not the D drive a problem?

The restore time or cost depends on whether to restore to drive D. There is also a security problem.

Thank you for your advice.

:)

가로리, May 8, 2019

2. No C: but D: drive has all the data

Hi Austin,

To help you with your concern regarding the data on the drive C:, you're seeing the drive "C:" as the drive "D:" because you're booting your computer outside Windows. When booting your computer outside Windows, the system is reading the recovery partition
    as drive C: and the data in the drive C: \ are listed on the drive D: \. Try to boot your computer and try to check again the data in the drive C: \ and see if the data are listed.

Regards.

Virfranz Man, May 8, 2019
  3. Activate Bitlocker for data drive partition

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

BitLocker
    Drive Encryption is one of the best security tools of Windows operating system. This feature of
    Windows 10 safeguards your stored data in fixed or removable drives of your storage system. When you turn on
    BitLocker it saves data on any drive and encrypt it automatically. When you encrypt drive, it
    protects everything with passwords on that drive whether it is file or document. In today’s
    Windows 10 tutorial, we will take you through Encrypt Drive Partition using Bitlocker process with
    BitLocker which will support your system in protecting its data.

Get Into BitLocker Drive Encryption Window in Windows 10

To Encrypt Drive Partition using Bitlocker you need to access BitLocker Encryption Window First. For this,

• Open Cortana Search.
    • Type BitLocker in the search field.
    • And in the search results select Manage BitLocker option.
    • BitLocker
      Drive Encryption window pops up on your screen.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, May 8, 2019
  4. Lehder Win User

Restoring BitLocked D drive data when the operating system on drive C is damaged

Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10  

I've just read this

I don't know the source nonetheless It could be the reason, as he said he was installing home version.

Last question mate, is It neccesary to delete all the partitions to do a clean installilation on a driver with bitlocker?

I mean, you have uefi with 5 partitions with bitlocker enabled on C(Os) and D(data)

-Recovery
    -System
    -Msr
    -Primary-bitlocker
    -D(data)-bitlocker

To do the clean installation should I delete D as well? Or just the ohers and install W on the unlocated space and when it finishes I'll be able to access my D partitions with bitlocker

Lehder, May 8, 2019
Thema:

1. Restoring BitLocked D drive data when the operating system on drive C is damaged - Similar Threads - Restoring BitLocked drive

2. Operating System on D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Operating System on D drive: I somehow partitioned the drive and now all files are on D:. Of course the laptop won't boot up.Can I merely copy all files from D: to C: and delete D? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/operating-system-on-d-drive/bc606cfb-d323-4662-bdde-e011a75d8209
  3. Operating System on D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Operating System on D drive: I somehow partitioned the drive and now all files are on D:. Of course the laptop won't boot up.Can I merely copy all files from D: to C: and delete D? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/operating-system-on-d-drive/bc606cfb-d323-4662-bdde-e011a75d8209
  4. Operating System on D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. D drive missing in System Restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    D drive missing in System Restore: System restore does not show D: drive after restoring an image, it does show in File Explorer and Disk Management. Ran SFC /scannow and no error found. System restore did show C: missing and that was fixed by disabling system restore for that item. I have checked BIOS and...
  6. D drive missing in System Restore

in Windows 10 Support
    D drive missing in System Restore: System restore does not show D: drive after restoring an image, it does show in File Explorer and Disk Management. Ran SFC /scannow and no error found. System restore did show C: missing and that was fixed by disabling system restore for that item. I have checked BIOS and...
  7. New PC with fast c-drive and data d-drive.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New PC with fast c-drive and data d-drive.: There has been so much discussion around how to set this up for max efficiency. I provide support for friends and family who are not as knowledgeable as me. To make things easy for me to debug and for my SIL to operate, I want to set up his system as follows, please just...
  8. "the operating system drive is not protected by bitlocker drive encryption"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "the operating system drive is not protected by bitlocker drive encryption": Hi. My pc has 8 drives attached to it. A: sata ssd B: usb C: m2 nvme E: m2 nvme U: sata ssd W: usb X: sata hdd Y: sata hdd E, U X and Y are bitlocked. I wanted to turn on the auto-unlock feature, which worked fine except for drive E, which give the error,...
  9. Move data from C drive to D

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Move data from C drive to D: How to move a c drive that is full to the D drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-data-from-c-drive-to-d/0df7a77f-dcac-4ec1-9d53-148f0565176e
  10. Storing data on Drive C, versus Drive D

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storing data on Drive C, versus Drive D: I have 1.22GB of 118GB available on the C Drive of my 2016 HP laptop, where everything gets stored by default. So pretty close to maxed out. But my D Drive has 854GB of 918GB available. How can I shift everything to the D Drive? Could making such change cause the laptop to...