Windows 10: restoring desktop on reboot for child user

Discus and support restoring desktop on reboot for child user in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am setting up a new windows 10 pc for a handicapped adult who is essentially like a child. Once set up is finished, there will no longer be internet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Curious, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Curious Win User

restoring desktop on reboot for child user

I am setting up a new windows 10 pc for a handicapped adult who is essentially like a child.
    Once set up is finished, there will no longer be internet access to worry about.

I have installed games and apps for her with desktop shortcuts she can use to start her games. And I discovered "desklock.exe" which:
    - locks the desktop icons in place (avoids their being dragged to the trashcan or messed up)
    - and removes the ability to use the right mouse button.

What I need is a way to:

1. disable the Start button from showing anything other than "Shutdown" and Restart". Maybe Classic shell can do that. I haven't tried it.
    2. when the pc is rebooted, to automatically restore the desktop and all settings to how I set them up irrespective of anything having been changed in the meanwhile.
    3. a way for me to access everything to fix things when they go wrong.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

:)

Curious, Nov 18, 2017

2. trouble signing in with a new standard user on Windows 10

we downloaded Windows 10 to desktop and laptop. created a account for a child. Works great on laptop. On desktop will accept password but then imediately signs out. This is on a standard user. Changed the account to a administrator and could sign
    in but programs are missing and cant access the start menu. Any one have know of a fix so my child can sign in as a standard user on Windows 10 on our desktop. Thank you

HeidiBuchner, Nov 18, 2017
  3. How to change an "other users" account to a family child account

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. In Windows 7 we had separate accounts for our kids with screen time limits (no using the computer after 8 pm).

In Windows 10 these accounts appear as "Other Users", not as a family child account. I have not been able to set screen time limits on these "other user" accounts. We could delete these accounts and set up new child accounts but we are warned that
    the kids would then lose their desktops and possibly their files.

I would like to know how to do any of the following:

1. Set screen time limits for an "Other User" in Windows 10

2. Change an "Other User" to a family child account

3. Remove the "Other User" accounts but transfer all the desktop, files etc. into a new family child account

We really only care about screen time limits and not about any of the other family safety junk.

ralphsamjohn, Nov 18, 2017
  4. restoring desktop on reboot for child user

Hi Curious.

When I saw your post I was thinking Guest account, which we have a tutorial for but in Brink's write up it says it won't run Store apps so that is out given some of your games are from the Store.

So I guess that leaves you with a Standard account.

You said you wanted to strip Start. This tutorial will let you strip apps for a user.

Uninstall Apps in Windows 10

Then I found this article. I have a lot of time for howtogeek. It does involve editing the registry. With backups and Macrium this shouldn't be an issue as you will just restore.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8739...-in-windows-7/

I like your idea of keeping a Macrium Image on the HDD for a quick replacement. You are going to need a administrator account but I think you want to ensure it doesn't get selected. Not sure how to hide this although I read some articles so it is possible, just not sure how they work so wouldn't recommend.

Requirement 2 is interesting. I going ask for help on that one in general the whole thread. Lot of members with a ton of knowledge and tricks.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 19, 2017
  5. ahelton Win User
    You might want to look into some type of software like Reboot Restore Rx or Deep Freeze to satisfy requirement #2. Deep Freeze will cost you money for a single license, but is an incredibly robust piece of software. There is a free trial, however. It's used here at the library where I work. The tech support is fantastic. I've never used Reboot Restore RX, but it's free and sounds like it will provide you with what you are looking for.

Creating something Microsoft terms as "Mandatory Profiles" may also be of interest. Read through the linked documentation and see what you think.

ahelton, Nov 20, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    Another option (I'm not sure if it is too complicated to be practical for you) is to run her Windows as a Virtual Machine..

Make a checkpoint and then revert to it after every logoff. @here

It is a shame the guest account doesn't really work in windows any more. I don't know why MS removed it as all the pieces (default user profile etc) are still in place and just waiting to be used like they were in the past (and still are in other OS's).

7. ahelton Win User
    Interesting idea. I know about checkpoints/snapshots, but am wondering if there is a way to auto-load the VM and specified checkpoint on log-on to prevent the OP from having to do this manually for the handicapped adult?
    @Curious - Will the person using this computer be doing so under supervision or on their own time?

ahelton, Nov 20, 2017
  8. Curious Win User

Thank you both for your suggestions.
    I'm already running Windows XP as a virtual machine on her pc using Oracle's VirtualBox to run some of her ancient games. (They have 16 bit install files so will not install in W10). This vm starts automatically because I put its shortcut in the startup folder. I had enough problems getting that vm to run correctly so I don't want to add to my headaches! Besides not sure I can run 2 vms simultaneously.

This person already runs games on a Windows XP ancient PC on her one without supervision and does so quite well because I've blocked the right mouse button and use an old utility called iconlock.exe. It's great. When she runs into trouble she justs reboots using the power button and everything is back as it was. Iconlock does everything desklock does but in addition modifies the start button so that clicking on it only has "Shutdown" available. Ideal for my purposes. Not sure it will run correctly on W10 but I should give it a try instead of desklock.
    As for restoring the desktop to what I set it to, I don't remember how I did that. I think it was some setting that did not permit XP to "save" the desktop arrangement on exit. Since Windows did not save the desktop arrangement changes at the time of reboot the result was that a PC reboot brought back the original desktop (meaning mine) as it was. The trick of the setting that made windows not save changes to the desktop was all it took. But I can't find a setting for that in W10. I think that setting was part of iconlock. I sure hope that wonderful utility works in W10. It would solve all my problems......

I'm not a computer expert, so a lot of this is way over my head. But this person I am helping is a really wonderful and sweet gal and she loves her PC. Unfortunately her old PC is dying and I'm giving her a gift of a new one which comes with W10 and is more complicated for me to setup.

Just goggled iconlock: IconLock Download
    I don't think it will run in W10.

Curious, Nov 20, 2017
  9. Curious Win User
    I just had a brilliant idea.

I think the Classic Start addon (I think it is called Classic Shell) allows you to control the content of the Start menu and that - along with Desklock which locks the desktop arrangement and disables the right mouse button (if it works correctly) may be all I need. I'll try it tomorrow.

When I need full control to fix things, I just disable Desklock and regain the right mouse button function and I'm good to go!

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Curious, Nov 20, 2017
  10. Curious Win User
    Problem solved. *Biggrin In case someone else needs similar controls for a child:

Desklock.exe locks the icon positions on the W10 desktop and disables the right mouse button.
    Because the icon arrangement cannot be changed, a reboot always brings up the fixed desktop arrangement.

ClassicShell (Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements) allows you to remove all items from the start menu but keep "Shutdown".

Aeroplane mode removes internet access.

Put desklock in Windows startup folder.

When the administrator needs full access to repair or change things:
    shift/Start brings up the Windows 10 start menu with all controls.

Curious, Nov 20, 2017
  11. Gordon7 Win User
    @Curious - You have to set up a standard account (non admin) for her to use and then make you own admin account password
    protected, - that way you will always have a chance to recover the system, even if you can not recover her account
    to a workable condition, you will have the possibility to delete her account and create a new one for her!

Her account should not need any password, so she can log in by just click on her name!

This is the best and safest way to do it, but it is of cause up to you -?

Gordon7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. restoring desktop on reboot for child user - Similar Threads - restoring desktop reboot

2. Signing In with a child user account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Signing In with a child user account: Hello! I Tried to Sign-in with a child account. But i can't.. It says ''You need an Internet Connection For This''. But I can Sign-In with the administrator Account, WITHOUT Internet Connection....
  3. Restore desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restore desktop: My desktop configuration, along with the taskbar config disappeared while I was editing and saving a PrintScreen. All applications, files, etc still exist, but require workarounds to access. Any thoughts about how to restore my desktop and taskbar settings?...
  4. restore desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    restore desktop: How to restore desktop on new computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-desktop/975e2c39-62a0-4110-b6e6-77e9d39fba2f
  5. Child's Family User Account Password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Child's Family User Account Password: Hi. I just created a family user account on my computer for my kids. I created an email to do so, but never created a password for the account. I did not want my kids to have to have to enter a password in order to sign in to the computer. The family user account is active on...
  6. Screen time on child user account

Screen time on child user account: I just purchased a laptop with Windows 10 for the kids to do homework on and set up user and email accounts for each of them. I noticed however that whenever they try to open google chrome or start a zoom meeting with their teacher, they have a screen time request pop up...
  7. Desktop Restore

Desktop Restore: Hi all I recently purchased a new PC using windows 10 and when I finished setting it up it my laptop Desktop has mirrored my PC desktop(icons and all). I have now lost Icons and Apps that where on my laptop and I want to keep the 2 separate. Can my laptop be restored ?...
  8. restoring a user

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    restoring a user: I updated Windows and it turn my user torre into a backup and its now signing me in as temp.kruegerfan.00 I tried the changing active user but torre only appears as backup. All my music got lost as well. anyway I can revert all the info into torre like previously and any...
  9. desktop restore

desktop restore: how do I restore my desktop back to classic I have windows 10 and do not like the new desktop format https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-restore/d9580b58-fec6-4771-aff5-5f718b02a2c5
  10. How to restore file in deleted user account (Desktop File)

How to restore file in deleted user account (Desktop File): At the first after I upgraded my notebook from windows 8 to windows 10, I just realize that 1 of my 3 user account is not exist anymore (the Guest account is not there just after I upgrade it into windows 10). As I tried to make the new Guest account and still didnt work (I...