Windows 10: Restoring Digital Entitlement

Discus and support Restoring Digital Entitlement in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Bought Windows 10 Pro from an authorized dealer and successfully installed then activated Windows 10 on a standalone PC with the Activation key that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by beachdogvet, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Restoring Digital Entitlement

Bought Windows 10 Pro from an authorized dealer and successfully installed then activated Windows 10 on a standalone PC with the Activation key that came with the CD.

With that same CD I installed Windows 10 on a Laptop I had as well, (an additional machine). Could not activate because the key was already being used on the standalone. Okay fine....went to Windows Store and bought another key...arrrrg. The laptop activation was successful "Windows 10 on this device is activated with a digital entitlement"

So what happens if my Laptop goes south, crashes and burns lets say. I re-install Windows 10 with the CD I have, how is that Digital Entitlement I just bought for the Laptop, going to be applied? Or remembered? Surely I'm not going to have buy another....key???

:)

beachdogvet, Feb 6, 2016
  2. Debyfuqua Win User

digital entitlement

where is my digital entitlement for windows 10 located? I cannot find it.

Debyfuqua, Feb 6, 2016
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    'Mike P, Feb 6, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Digital Entitlement

All the info is stored in the MS Server. Unless you replace the MB then it would be considered a new PC, replacing any other devices such as HD, SSD, CD/DVD will not affect the activation. Just re-install Windows and skip the key when asked.

topgundcp, Feb 6, 2016
  5. I'm assuming that would also apply for the standalone (the first machine I installed to) as well?

beachdogvet, Feb 6, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Yes

topgundcp, Feb 6, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    Actually that is not the case.

The first pc does not have digital entitlement, as it has been product key activated.

Digital entitlement only arises for upgrades or licences bought from MS store. See

Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help

extract from above link.

Activating after reinstalling Windows 10

How you activate Windows 10 after reinstalling it depends on how Windows 10 was originally installed on your device.
    If you activated a free upgrade to Windows 10 or bought and activated Windows 10 from the Windows Store, you have a digital entitlement for your device. This means that you can reinstall the same edition of Windows 10 that your device has a digital entitlement for without entering a product key. During reinstallation, if you’re asked to enter a product key, selectSkip. Windows 10 will automatically activate online after the installation is complete.
    If you previously installed and activated Windows 10 using a product key, you’ll need to enter the product key during reinstallation.

cereberus, Feb 6, 2016
  8. CTPhil Win User

I have sort of a unique problem with digital entitlement. I have a few laptops to sell, and would like to put cloned drives in and have been having mixed results with digital entitlement. Sometimes it goes without a hitch and sometimes there's no way I can activate even with entering the Windows 7 Validation Number from the sticker on the machine. I'd like to be able to just put a drive with Win 10 on it in a hard driveless machine that had previously run 7. What am I missing?

CTPhil, Mar 19, 2016
  9. tracit99 Win User
    I am a little confused, which is nothing new. For the Laptop did you buy a new key for Windows 10 or a key for Windows 7 or 8?
    If you bought a Window 10 key I don't think it should show "activated with digital entitlement". However if you used a Windows 7 or 8 key then the digital entitlement would make sense.

tracit99, Mar 19, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Windows 10 activations purchased from the Windows Store result in digital entitlements:
    Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help

The biggest difference between a digital entitlement and product key activation that a consumer needs to be aware of is that a product key activation can be transferred to a new motherboard/computer whereas a digital entitlement cannot.

NavyLCDR, Mar 19, 2016
  11. tracit99 Win User
    Hey thanks for the clarification. I missed the part about Windows Store in the OP.

If I were to shell out the money for Windows 10 I would definitely want it to be transferable.

tracit99, Mar 19, 2016
  12. CTPhil Win User
    I'm trying to install 10 on machines that previously had Windows 7 installed and activated. My understanding is that such machines are entitled to 10 and that 10 can be clean installed without entering an activation #. Indeed I have done that successfully on some machines, and on those I get "digital entitlement enacted". Others however don't cooperate and I have no idea why. On those even using "change product key" and using the key on the sticker on the machine does not work. If I reinstall 7 on those machines it validates, and if I then do an upgrade from a working 7, that will also validate. But I don't want to have to do that on every one, especially since I'm installing 3rd. party apps.

CTPhil, Mar 20, 2016
  13. cereberus Win User

You need to enter a key if you clean install on a pc if Windows 10 has not been installed previously.

Are you installing version 10586?

You need to be installing that version to enter a 7/8 key to activate it.

Additionally, the 10 version must exactly match the 7 key version (home, pro, N, SL) etc.

cereberus, Mar 21, 2016
  14. CTPhil Win User
    Yes, version 10586. The machines that I'm having problems with are not accepting manually entered Win 7 keys. The frustrating part is that it does sometimes go the way it should.

CTPhil, Mar 22, 2016
  15. cv007 Win User
    It seems like you are cloning drives (if I read your earlier post correctly). I have had a few problems activating from cloned drives. The laptops I have cloned had a Win10 key in bios, and in most cases after the clone, the activation happens automatically (I assume Windows finds the key in BIOS and activates using the 'new' key). In some cases, it will not activate no matter what- enter Win10 product key (from bios) manually, try various slmgr.vbs options, etc. If I remember correctly, the few times I had problems, I ended up running sysprep which seemed to properly clear out the activation status and ended up activating ok after the oobe wizard finished. If the clone was from an upgrade (Win7/8-> Win10) instead of a clean install, then sysprep will not work.

It would be nice to know what sysprep is actually doing in regards to activation, then one could truly 'wipe' any previous failed activation data and bypass running sysprep and either let Windows 10 find/activate the key in bios (Win8/10 key) or enter the (Win7) key manually (assuming was never activated before, and no digital entitlement yet).

cv007, Mar 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Restoring Digital Entitlement - Similar Threads - Restoring Digital Entitlement

2. Re-activating a Win10 digital entitlement license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-activating a Win10 digital entitlement license: Hi,I have a Win10 system with is licensed with a digital entitlement license which I need to re-install Windows 10 on exactly the same system - I'm not trying to transfer to a new machineAccording to this article If you have a digital license for your device, you can...
  3. No digital entitlement

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    No digital entitlement: I upgraded my Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home successfully. It shows windows is activated, but there is no message stating digital entitlement. Windows is working fine and updating, but if I need to do a clean install in the future, can this cause any problem, as I...
  4. Digital Entitlement applicable for upgraded motherboard?

Digital Entitlement applicable for upgraded motherboard?: Am I correct that the Digital Entitlement allows me to upgrade my motherboard and still have a valid Win 10 installation? That's what I surmise from reading posts on this? I plan to upgrade my recording studio system. 69239
  5. Reinstall with "digital entitlement"

Reinstall with "digital entitlement": I just installed Windows 10 onto a laptop that had Windows 7. It originally had 8.1 but I replaced it with 7. I just checked and Windows 10 is activated by "digital entitlement". I thought I would have to use the key that came with my retail copy of Windows 7 to activate 10....
  6. No "Valid Digital Entitlement Or Product Key'

No "Valid Digital Entitlement Or Product Key': W7 tower that was upgraded to 10 over a year ago. Got a TM.sys error (Tm.sys - 0xc0000221 Error - Windows 10 Forums) necessitating a reinstall. Everything went fine except for my desktop picture that was about 40% bigger than it used to be. I shrunk it down using MS Paint,...
  7. Restore Windows 10 digital entitlement activation offline

Restore Windows 10 digital entitlement activation offline: Here is some information about how to successfully backup and restore Windows 10 activation when installed through what Microsoft calls "digital entitlement", i. e. having used the free upgrade offer from a previous Windows version. It is mainly intended for advanced users...
  8. Digital entitlement

Digital entitlement: Had an odd thing happen. I had to replace my motherboard(Asus to Asrock) and do a clean install of Win 10 Pro. I have a retail copy of 10 pro but I never entered my licence number as requested during install, when I got the update and security screen/activation I was...
  9. Will it still get the digital entitlement?

Will it still get the digital entitlement?: Hi, I want to reinstall Win10. It was previously an upgrade from win7 but 32-bit, and now I want to install 64-bit, will it still get the digital entitlement? Thank you *Smile 88872
  10. How to use my digital entitlement

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to use my digital entitlement: I installed the free Win 10 upgrade and subsequently reverted to Windows 7 using a Macrium clone of Win 7 that I had made. Whilst in Win 10 I checked that the copy had been activated. As I understand it I now have a digital entitlement to Win 10 that I can use any time in the...