Windows 10: Restoring Files and Programs from earlier version of my OS(C:) drive/partition to a new...

Discus and support Restoring Files and Programs from earlier version of my OS(C:) drive/partition to a new... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I attempted to clone my old HD onto a new SDD, but the cloning seemed to fail and the system would not boot into Windows 10 on the new SDD or the old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RichardBowers48, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Restoring Files and Programs from earlier version of my OS(C:) drive/partition to a new...

I attempted to clone my old HD onto a new SDD, but the cloning seemed to fail and the system would not boot into Windows 10 on the new SDD or the old HD. So I had no working version of Win10, and I performed a new clean installation of Windows 10 on the SDD (from a Recovery drive). Just now in searching through the file structure on the SDD (the old HD is disconnected), I found all my old files and programs under "C:/Windows.old" that must have been created during the cloning. There are zero files and programs carried over to the new clean Windows 10 installation, for example in My Documents or Pictures. Can I simply move all of these cloned file copies into the new Windows installation? Also can I do the same with the cloned Program Files, or will they not work because they were not installed in this new clean Windows environment? Normally this would be done via a Backup and Restore process or via software such as Acronis. What is the best way to proceed? Thanks!

:)

RichardBowers48, Jun 21, 2019
  2. phueal Win User

Move System Restore Partition to different drive

In case it's helpful to anyone in future, I did resolve this, with a lot more effort than I had hoped to spend! The basic process was:

• Decrypt C: drive;
    • Shrink C: partition by 500mb at beginning of drive;
    • Copy System Restore Partition into unallocated space (I used MiniTool Partition Wizard for this). Mark it as active;
    • Use EasyBCD to ensure it is set up to boot into the OS, and restart to test;
    • Delete System Restore Partition on HDD, and expand the remaining partition to fill the unallocated space;
    • Run Windows 10 installer from within Windows, 'upgrading' the OS, but keeping programs and files - this will repair the manually created System Restore Partition properly;
    • Re-encrypt with Bitlocker.
    Hope it's helpful! Long and the short of it is: try and think of these things before you start...

phueal, Jun 21, 2019
  3. Tommygunn Win User
    Partitioning Program Files/Program Files(x86) from Windows 10 install?

In the coming week I will be installing Windows 10 Home on my new computer. I will be using an SSD and an HDD, the SSD for the OS, programs and games and the HDD for photos, music and all the other slow stuff.
    So, my question. In case the OS were to ever get corrupted, or I had to reinstall the OS for any other reason, is it possible to have the SSD set up as follows; Partition 1 - OS, Partition 2 - Program Files/Program Files((x86) plus other associated folders/files) and Partition 3 for my games, so that any re-install does not wipe out my already installed programs?

I had no problem doing this in with my XP desktop(OS in C and Progs in D, although not perfect, but was never able to do it with Windows 7.

Can it be done?

Tom.

Tommygunn, Jun 21, 2019
  4. sumdumgai Win User

Restoring Files and Programs from earlier version of my OS(C:) drive/partition to a new...

How to restore C: drive from backup?

Thank you. I'll try your suggestion if my next attempt fails. I think my problem has been that I have been using a disk/partition backup instead of a system backup file.

- - - Updated - - -

Tried to recover from last System Backup file but it failed, too. Although it took a long time (from NAS backup), the recovery successfully completed. But the used size of the C: disk was very low and no OS was there. I have been using a USB that contains the Windows Installation Media, and when I boot from it, I select the UEFI version in the BIOS boot menu.

Here's latest attempt info:
    Using Command Prompt, I cleaned Disk 0 (C: Drive), where the OS should be, and converted it to GPT.
    Reinstalled W10 using USB that contains Windows Installation Media. I selected the UEFI version of the USB in the BIOS boot menu.
    After Reinstall, DiskPart, (List Disk, Disk 0 is GPT), (List Volume, Volume 3 is Boot), (Select Volume 3, List Partition, 1=Recovery, 2=System, 3=Reserved, 4=primary)
    Rebooted from EaseUS Emergency disk, using the UEFI version of the DVD in the boot menu.
    Restored Disk 0 (C: ) from EaseUS partition backup of C:
    After restore completed successfully, system rebooted itself.
    Error – No operating system found.
    Rebooted from USB Windows Media. Went to Repair mode, Troubleshoot, Command Prompt
    DiskPart, (List Disk, Disk 0 is GPT), (Select Disk 0, List Partition, Only 1 partition, Primary)

What am I missing? After the EaseUS restore, only 1 partition was created on Disk 0. The C: drive appears to have all of the files.

Thanks for your help.

sumdumgai, Jun 21, 2019
Thema:

Restoring Files and Programs from earlier version of my OS(C:) drive/partition to a new...

1. Restoring Files and Programs from earlier version of my OS(C:) drive/partition to a new... - Similar Threads - Restoring Files Programs

2. Restore files to C drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restore files to C drive: Some time ago after having installed an SSD in my desktop and made it the C drive. I put the user files documents, photos, etc. on the HDD, D drive. Now I want to move them back to the C drive. Is there a recommended way to do that?...
  3. Restore files to C drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore files to C drive: Some time ago after having installed an SSD in my desktop and made it the C drive. I put the user files documents, photos, etc. on the HDD, D drive. Now I want to move them back to the C drive. Is there a recommended way to do that?...
  4. Restore files to C drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. All files on partitions missing apart from C: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All files on partitions missing apart from C: drive: Hello all,I recently installed a new NVMe drive to add to my "collection" of storage medium. I was going to transfer my OS from my previous drive to this new one using a System-Image, but that failed in spectacular ways. I then thought about the issue and decided that I'd...
  6. All files on partitions missing apart from C: drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All files on partitions missing apart from C: drive: Hello all,I recently installed a new NVMe drive to add to my "collection" of storage medium. I was going to transfer my OS from my previous drive to this new one using a System-Image, but that failed in spectacular ways. I then thought about the issue and decided that I'd...
  7. Transfer OS from C Drive to new Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer OS from C Drive to new Drive: Hi, I've seen a lot of different ways to transfer the contents of my C Drive to a new larger drive. What is the best way to do this as I'm wanting to transfer my OS and everything on my C Drive to a new drive on my PC? Thanks...
  8. Transfer installed programs from c drive to new system drive

Transfer installed programs from c drive to new system drive: Hi windows 10 on my PC is has has critical process died problem and its in restart loop.. I have tried startup repair and system restore both didn't work. Now I want want to install new windows in my secondary ssd . Please guide me after installing window on my secondary...
  9. CANNOT CREATE NEW PARTITION FROM C DRIVE

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CANNOT CREATE NEW PARTITION FROM C DRIVE: I've created partitions on other computers for years and never had this message come up. I don't want to click on yes unless I know what it's about.[ATTACH]...
  10. Should I partition my new SSD to separate OS from programs and data?

Should I partition my new SSD to separate OS from programs and data?: I have a new SSD on which I will install Win 10 Home. Is it advisable to separate the OS and the apps/programs/data into 2 separate partitions on the SSD after win 10 is installed? Would doing this cause problems with installing and using programs, games etc? I ask because...