Windows 10: Restoring files from file history after having restored a system image?

Discus and support Restoring files from file history after having restored a system image? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My system wasn't working right so I restored it from a complete system image taken on March 31 It's now April 11. The restore went smoothly and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TMagritte, Apr 11, 2020.

1. TMagritte Win User

Restoring files from file history after having restored a system image?

My system wasn't working right so I restored it from a complete system image taken on March 31 It's now April 11.

The restore went smoothly and everything is working well again. However, I had numerous updated documents since the system backup on March 31.

When I try to restore them from file history, I can't navigate past March 31. When I've searched for a way to do this, all the answers seem to suggest you just select the same drive in the file history settings in control panel.

However, in said settings, it shows that "Copy files to:" lists the network location I had set file history to. I've turned it off for now for fear that a new backup might make me lose everything backed up since March 31. When I click on Select drive under Available drives it shows the same network location. If I click on it is says "This File History drive was already used." and underneath shows several username and computer names that have backups, including this computer, where Last back-up date is correctly 2020-04-10 this is a Windows server where I have daily system backups and also the file history backups.

I can also "Add network location" select the same location again but nothing changes when I do this.

I still can't see any of the backups past March 31, the date of the image I restored.

Does anyone know how I can get file restore to see the newer backups?

I can always get the files from an other image backup made prior to the restore, but I'd like to figure out how to do this with file history as I have another computer where that is currently my only backup.

Thanks!

:)

TMagritte, Apr 11, 2020
  2. ChrisnMcK Win User

Restore System Image - File History will not restore current files

I use File History regularly and the last back up of files was today (March 2017).

I made a system image in August 2016 and needed to restore the image today.

When using File History to restore my current files, it will only allow me to install files up to the system image date (Aug 16), not the current date.

How can I update File History to allow all today's files to be reinstalled?

Many thanks

ChrisnMcK, Apr 11, 2020
  3. Pinchy Win User
    Deleted file restore software.

I cant remember if it recovers old files OR leaves new files on the computer even after you do the restore. I havent used it in a while.

Pinchy, Apr 11, 2020
  4. Restoring files from file history after having restored a system image?

how do I restore files from file history after system image restore.

i took system image backup in september.

file history backups continue through october.

had to restore september system image in november.

when I use file history restore to recover october files file history restore doesn't find them although they are in the file history data file.

paidilukous, Apr 11, 2020
Thema:

Restoring files from file history after having restored a system image?

1. Restoring files from file history after having restored a system image? - Similar Threads - Restoring files file

2. Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup: After a recent win 10 update completely immobilized my hard drive, I was forced to backup the drive from a saved image. The system restored fine, but when I try to restore my files backed up through File History, I get into an endless loop of identifying the drive with the...
  3. Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup: After a recent win 10 update completely immobilized my hard drive, I was forced to backup the drive from a saved image. The system restored fine, but when I try to restore my files backed up through File History, I get into an endless loop of identifying the drive with the...
  4. Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. restore file history

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    restore file history: I continually get a message - for years now - that I need to restore my file history. How do I do that? Evidently I am unble to back up my files to an external hard drive until the file history is restored....
  6. File History - restore

File History - restore: I backup my files using FileHistory. How do I restore a file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-restore/34fcbace-3bd4-43ae-8c0d-c8ec6cbbb17f
  7. Restoring from File History

Restoring from File History: I backed up my files using File History. The computer I was using was lost in a fire. I need to restore my files to anew computer but File History on my new computer will not recognize the external source. I could just copy the files but then they would keep the backup...
  8. File History restore

File History restore: I have a laptop with a cracked screen that I need to have repaired and wont have it for a few days. I've got my File History and an extra laptop that I can use in the interim. How do I: 1. restore / use my files from File History on the extra laptop without crossing over...
  9. Restore history files

Restore history files: i have tried to restore my files after it was refreshed. my history files say no files found. i tried to open the file but the open button is dark and won't work. i asked cortana and virtal assist with success. how do i get my files back? i have windows 10 for over 2 years......
  10. File history restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history restore: My Toshiba tablet keeps. Demanding file history be turned on. The setfings say it is on. How do i turn it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-restore/73a47ff4-d9cd-474d-aff3-4514dabe3428"