Windows 10: Restoring from File History on an external drive to a new external drive

Discus and support Restoring from File History on an external drive to a new external drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a computer including an external drive (which contains all the photos). These two things have been backed up to another external drive using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ChantalImbach, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Restoring from File History on an external drive to a new external drive

I have a computer including an external drive (which contains all the photos). These two things have been backed up to another external drive using File History. So far so good.

Now, the drive containing the photos has been damaged and can not be used anymore. This means, I want to restore this drive from the backup onto a new external drive.

One would think that this should be really easy but apparently it's not. Has anybody ever done this and how exactly did it work?

I'm also wondering whether I can simply copy paste the contents? I know on a Mac Time Machine this is not possible, it needs to be restored properly. But not sure about Microsoft File History???

Any help is welcome - thanks!

:)

ChantalImbach, Dec 19, 2018

2. File History is off and won't recognize my external drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

• Have you made any changes in settings prior to the issue?

• What is the status when you connect your external driver in your system?

• Have you checked with a different external drive? What is the status?

• Have you tried connecting the drive in a different USB port? What is the status?

I suggest you to disable your third party-software (If any) and check if it resolves the issue.

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install
    other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Check if it helps.

You can also try turning on file history by following the below procedure and check if it resolves the issue.

To enable file history on Windows 10, connect an external hard drive and follow the steps below:

• Open Start menu and type
      File History

• Click File History (control panel)

• Tap or click Select a drive, and choose the network or external drive you want to use.

• Turn on File History
    Note: If the network drive you want isn’t in the list of available drives, tap or click Show all network locations. If the drive you want isn’t listed there either, open File History in Control Panel, tap or click Add
    a network location, and follow the instructions on the screen.

Please reply with the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you further.

Aswin_Anand, Dec 19, 2018
  3. File History of files on external USB harddisk drive

Hi,

I have a external harddisk connected to my pc using USB. This drive contains personal files which I want to add to file history. I simply want that everytime I connect my external harddrive to my pc, that file history backs up the files on it to a location
    on the network. How do I do that?

* I have file history working for files on an internal harddrive

* I did add my external harddrive to the Documents library

* I tried adding the folder on the external harddrive using the "Add a folder" using the windows 10 settings. But the folder seems to dissappear from the list after a while.

Another detail: the disk is encrypted using DiskCryptor. Everytime I connect the drive windows says it has to be formatted. When I mount the drive by providing the key to DiskCryptor the drive becomes a valid one.

Stefan Cloudt, Dec 19, 2018
  4. Restoring from File History on an external drive to a new external drive

File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Dec 19, 2018
Thema:

Restoring from File History on an external drive to a new external drive

1. Restoring from File History on an external drive to a new external drive - Similar Threads - Restoring File History

2. Restoring backup from an external drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring backup from an external drive: Hello everyone! So I recently backed up my hard drive to an external drive before reinstalling Windows 10. Now that I am backed up, how can I restore the data back to its original place on my hard drive? Thank you in advance! submitted by /u/xnmvenom [link] [comments]...
  3. need help with restoring file history from external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    need help with restoring file history from external hard drive: So I have a FileHistory file on my external hard drive that I saved from my previous laptop that I returned, but with my new one after I plugged in my hard drive to restore my files and went to restore with file history it says that no file history was found, how would I get...
  4. Rotating external drives with Windows File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Rotating external drives with Windows File History: I would like to rotate external USB connected drives to do backups with the Windows 10 File History utility. I would like File History to write to one external drive for a week. Then I would swap the drive with one I keep in a fire safe. Is it just a matter of choosing a...
  5. Add an external drive to File History

Add an external drive to File History: Windows 10 1909 I've added an external data drive to my system, and would like the files to be backed up using File History. It doesn't seem to matter if I select the drive, or individual folders on the drive, back up data never shows up. Is this something File History...
  6. Restoring Files From An External Hard Drive

Restoring Files From An External Hard Drive: So I had to send in my previous laptop for repair and backed up my critical files and programs prior to sending it off. Glad I did so, since the folks doing the repairs, totally borked it. I got my warranty refund and purchased a new laptop. Problems have arisen though, in...
  7. Restore Point with External Drives

Restore Point with External Drives: Hello. I have a question about restore points with external drives. If I create a restore point into an external drive. And if I reset my Windows PC, will the restore point not be deleted from my external drive? Please leave your answers down below. I will appreciate them....
  8. Using File History on external USB drive.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Using File History on external USB drive.: I have all my docs on a separate drive than my system drive c:, called drive I, and I back up using FileHistory to drive K. I and K are different partitions on a separate but the same secondary hard drive, which is silly seeing that if the actual hardware crashed no files or...
  9. restore files from external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    restore files from external drive: how to restore my files and programs after resetting windows 10? I backed up everything on an external hard drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-files-from-external-drive/10bb8695-d55c-41d5-9b2e-e0655b212d2a"
  10. Restoring from external hard drive

Restoring from external hard drive: My old laptop became non-functional (bad motherboard), so I uninstalled my SSD hard drive and have been using it as an external hard drive. Now, I would like to install everything on this external hard drive including the OS and files onto a new laptop. How can I do this?...