Windows 10: Restoring Live Mail via Acronis TI from Win 7

Discus and support Restoring Live Mail via Acronis TI from Win 7 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My wife's 5-y-o Win 7 machine died recently. I used Acronis True Image to backup her Windows Live Mail account onto an external hard drive. If I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Tone Dialling, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Restoring Live Mail via Acronis TI from Win 7

My wife's 5-y-o Win 7 machine died recently. I used Acronis True Image to backup her Windows Live Mail account onto an external hard drive. If I restore/recover it to her new Win 10 machine, will I be able to access the backup files with the Mail client of Windows 10?
    Thanks in advance,
    Tony

:)

Tone Dialling, Jun 6, 2016
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Restore System Image

Van1,

I have added this to my earlier post about Acronis

Edited 29 Nov 2016 - I have tested Acronis TI 2017 and it can only restore its own .tib images & .vhd images [Windows 7 system images]. It cannot restore .vhdx images [Windows 10 &, I believe, Windows 8]. Several threads in the Acronis forums and an Acronis
    Knowledge Base article also stated that this limitation existed. I then contacted Acronis support who confirmed the fact. There is no reason to believe that Acronis will add this capability in the future.

Denis

Tryx3, Jun 6, 2016
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Restore System Image

There's nothing wrong with your method. I create a folder for each computer and then a folder with the date inside and I move the entire WindowsImageBackup folder into it.

Restoring Live Mail via Acronis TI from Win 7 [​IMG]

You are right about having to leave the latest one in the right position. Of course, not all image restorations take place when the computer is completely messed up so you will often have the chance to shuffle things about so you can restore the one you
    want first time.

Many people in this forum have recommended
    Macrium Reflect Free
    for making system images.

Paid-for applications include the well-regarded Acronis TI. It creates large files instead of folders so your images would always go into the same TheseAreMyImages folder on your xHDD and you could choose any one of them to restore from.

If you have an HDD from WD then you can get a free sawn-off version of Acronis TI -

Acronis TI WD Edition
    . I use this.

If you have an HDD from Seagate, Samsung or Maxtor then you can get a free sawn-off version of Acronis TI -

Seagate DiscWizard
    . I also use this.

In both cases, the applications needs to be able to detect one of their own brand discs in order to install or run. The disc does not need to be internal, it can be the external HDD that is the qualifying product. So you could get the WD Edition because
    you evidently have a WD external drive. You would always have to connect the drive in order to open the application. Similarly, you would always have to connect the drive to boot from the boot disk but as you would be using its boot disk in order to restore
    an image that should not be any great bother.

All these forms of Acronis TI have much more flexibility than the Windows system image facility. They are also much better at being restored onto new HDDs should you ever replace your drive.

In addition, the full version of Acronis TI [but not the free versions**] can also work with Windows system images for restoration in addition to its own format. There is not normally any particular reason to use Windows to make system images when
    you have Acronis but the flexibility is there anyway.

** That's just because the free versions are taken from Acronis TI 2015 which did not know anything about Windows 10. They could handle Windows 7 system images. Next year or the year after, the free versions will get updated to the equivalent of Acronis
    TI 2016 and they will then be able to restore Windows 10 system images.

Edited 29 Nov 2016 - I have tested Acronis TI 2017 and it can only restore its own .tib images & .vhd images [Windows 7 system images]. It cannot restore .vhdx images [Windows 10 &, I believe, Windows 8]. Several threads in the Acronis forums and an Acronis
    Knowledge Base article also stated that this limitation existed. I then contacted Acronis support who confirmed the fact. There is no reason to believe that Acronis will add this capability in the future.

Denis

Tryx3, Jun 6, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

Restoring Live Mail via Acronis TI from Win 7

Although I do know Acronis True Image, I do not know Windows Live. Before you restore, backup her OS partition. If the restore of the appropriate W7 WLive folders is accepted by W10 Windows Live, then you're the hero of the day *Smile *Smile
    [Before you have that root beer celebration, make sure she can really send, receive, read, write old and new emails!]
    However, if such does not work well at all, then quietly restore that very recent current backup [which was verified during the making, correct?] -- and you will be a restore hero of the day *Smile *Smile
    [And, you can safely have that root beer celebration.]

RolandJS, Jun 6, 2016
  5. Bastet Win User
    Here's what I did when changing from Win 8.1 to 10.
    Install WLMail on 10 & open it to create a WLMail folder, close app & find the new mail folder then delete it & immediately paste the original WLMail folder from the old OS (or in your case this will be from the Acronis image/backup) & then when you open WLMail all your accounts & emails up to the date when you copied/saved/backed up the folder will be there, you will have to sign into/enter the password of each account.

Bastet, Jun 6, 2016
  6. gpstoloff Win User
    You guys are missing his point: will I be able to access the backup files with the Mail client of Windows 10?

NO: The Windows 10 Mail client doesn't support local folders whatsoever (as of this version -- can't comment on Anniversary Version yet)

However, if you install WLM, it will read the restored folders (as Doctor9Fan indicated).

gpstoloff, Jun 7, 2016
  7. Thanks gpstoloff. I'm glad I had not already started the process that the two earlier folk suggested.
    Tony

Tone Dialling, Jun 8, 2016
  8. Restoring Live Mail via Acronis TI from Win 7

There is a mechanism that appears backward until you think of Windows as a Service - everything lives in the clouds.
    You import the mail and contacts to Outlook.com
    Import email from a desktop app - Outlook.com help

You'll need to put the backup on a machine somewhere for the Mail Migration add-on to find.
    That tool might require a fully installed WLM, so you might have to follow Doctor9fan instructions to get there.

I've never used the Mail Migration tool - I, as does the good Doctor, run WLM on Win10.

Slartybart, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Restoring Live Mail via Acronis TI from Win 7

1. Restoring Live Mail via Acronis TI from Win 7 - Similar Threads - Restoring Live Mail

2. restoring contacts in Windows Live Mail

in Browsers and Email
    restoring contacts in Windows Live Mail: Windows 10, ver 1909, build 183636. 1198; WLM 2012 I lost the use of my laptop and purchased a new one. My original harddrive is functional, and I used it as an external drive to transfer all my documents and files to the new one. I reinstalled that apps that i wanted to...
  3. restoring contacts in Windows Live Mail

in Windows 10 Support
    restoring contacts in Windows Live Mail: Windows 10, ver 1909, build 183636. 1198; WLM 2012 I lost the use of my laptop and purchased a new one. My original harddrive is functional, and I used it as an external drive to transfer all my documents and files to the new one. I reinstalled that apps that i wanted to...
  4. Live Mail in Win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Live Mail in Win 10: Win does not recognize Live Mail as a choice for .eml files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/live-mail-in-win-10/3f2a3fa5-58dc-4f33-a9b1-1ca3c05c1768"
  5. Mails from Windows Live Mail to Mail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mails from Windows Live Mail to Mail: Hi, How to get old mails and mail folders from "Windows live Mail" & "Outlook 2007" to "Mail" app in Windows 10. Thanks Prashant https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/mails-from-windows-live-mail-to-mail/22773ad1-1b23-486e-bcae-3143c4216a58
  6. Windows Live Mail From Windows 7 to 10

in Browsers and Email
    Windows Live Mail From Windows 7 to 10: I am running Windows Live Mail 2011 on my desktop computer. I have a new Windows 10 desktop computer. How do I move it to Windows 10? I use Time Warner POP email server. Thanks, cb 78922
  7. Win Live MAIL problem

in Browsers and Email
    Win Live MAIL problem: I have a new laptop with Win10 installed and ever since downloading WinLive Mail, Win Live Mail has given me problems. It spends hours saying it is upgrading, I cannot get rid of it unless, I shut the laptop down and remove the battery. This is ridiculous. Anyone else with...
  8. win live mail problems in win 10

in Browsers and Email
    win live mail problems in win 10: Suddenly my email has gone haywire. My App for win live mail has a shield on it that means I have to open it as admin, and I get a box asking me if I want to let this programme to make changes. When mail opens I invariably get a box asking me to enter my password....
  9. Problems with Live Mail after update from 7 to 10.

in Browsers and Email
    Problems with Live Mail after update from 7 to 10.: A friend of mine just updated his desktop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and now Live Mail fails to open correctly. I get the splash screen and the wait pointer and nothing. If I open Task Manager and close it, then Live Mail will load (sometimes I have to do it twice) but the...
  10. Activate Windows 10240 via Image restore (Acronis etc)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activate Windows 10240 via Image restore (Acronis etc): Hi there You CAN activate Windows 10240 on to a new system if you've copied / restored from an already activated image even if it's on different hardware. After re-boot smply update some of the drivers --Video / graphics is usually the most problematical. CPU change...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can acronis TI backup and restore SD card