Windows 10: Restoring 'My Document' folder back to default location on C drive

Discus and support Restoring 'My Document' folder back to default location on C drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have just got a brand new Windows 10 PC. It has a 256 GB SSD and a 1T hard drive. They are drives C and D. As delivered the user data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EdPearce, Mar 2, 2021.

1. EdPearce Win User

Restoring 'My Document' folder back to default location on C drive

I have just got a brand new Windows 10 PC. It has a 256 GB SSD and a 1T hard drive. They are drives C and D.

As delivered the user data libraries/folders Documents, Pictures, Music, etc are on the C drive. So I decided to move the Documents library to the D drive by following some online guidance. I used 'location' in Documents properties and moved it to D:/. I thought it would create a folder under D, but it didn't - and instead made the Documents location the whole of D:/.

I tried to undo this with Restore Default in Properties for what is now just D:, but it didn't work and I got an error message.

So the question is: how can I get my Documents folder back to C:/users/username ?

Also what is the right way to move my Libraries/Folders to the D drive?

:)

EdPearce, Mar 2, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

Cannot restore default location of Documents folder

Hello MurakamiFan, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you like, you can download and merge the .reg file in step 5 of Option Two in the tutorial below to automatically restore the default location of your Documents folder.

*Arrow Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

Brink, Mar 2, 2021
  3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Mar 2, 2021
  4. Restoring 'My Document' folder back to default location on C drive

Cannot restore default location of Documents folder

I accidentically set the location of my Documents folder to D:\ and now cannot restore it to C:\Users\MyName\Documents. When I try this I get the message "Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under D:\System Volume Information. Access is denied". How can I resolve this?

Furthermore, I have the issue that the original folder C:\Users\MyName\Documents apparently exists, I can read and write files onto it, but it does not show up in Explorer, even when hidden files are selected. Why is this?

MurakamiFan, Mar 2, 2021
Thema:

Restoring 'My Document' folder back to default location on C drive

1. Restoring 'My Document' folder back to default location on C drive - Similar Threads - Restoring 'My Document'

2. Default document folder restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default document folder restore: I want to restore the default document folder on my windows 11. After I removed one drive my documents folder disapeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-document-folder-restore/130672cf-ecd7-4edb-8aac-8334343d79ba
  3. Default document folder restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default document folder restore: I want to restore the default document folder on my windows 11. After I removed one drive my documents folder disapeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-document-folder-restore/130672cf-ecd7-4edb-8aac-8334343d79ba
  4. Unable to restore default location of Documents.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to restore default location of Documents.: I am using Windows 11 with OneDrive. OneDrive will not allow me restore default location of my documents folder. The only document folder that is available is the one listed in Users/Marc/OneDrive. When I try to restore default location through the properties dialog box, it...
  5. Unable to restore default location of Documents.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to restore default location of Documents.: I am using Windows 11 with OneDrive. OneDrive will not allow me restore default location of my documents folder. The only document folder that is available is the one listed in Users/Marc/OneDrive. When I try to restore default location through the properties dialog box, it...
  6. How to restore default location of Documents folder, after uninstalling OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to restore default location of Documents folder, after uninstalling OneDrive?: After uninstalling OneDrive, Windows refuses to let me restore the user Documents folder back to the original location.I am doing so by clicking on the "Restore Default" button from the Properties menu, on the This PC > Documents folder:First, it tells me the folder does not...
  7. Can't revert documents and pictures folders rto default location on C: drive

Can't revert documents and pictures folders rto default location on C: drive: Since the latest install of W10 it appears that the documents and pictures folders on my PC are in fact in the ONeDrive folder and not at all where they used to be. I do not want them in the OneDrive folder! I want them on my PC where they always used to be. However when I...
  8. Restoring Default User Folder Locations

Restoring Default User Folder Locations: Hello. A couple weeks ago I did a fresh install of Windows and all my folders are in particular locations across multiple drives. Now, while I was configuring the location of my Downloads folder while formatting my backup/downloads HDD (Seagate BarraCuda), I had temporarily...
  9. Cannot restore default location of Documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot restore default location of Documents folder: I accidentically set the location of my Documents folder to D:\ and now cannot restore it to C:\Users\MyName\Documents. When I try this I get the message "Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under D:\System Volume Information. Access is denied". How can I...
  10. Restore Default Locations of “Documents” in “Users” & “This PC”

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Default Locations of “Documents” in “Users” & “This PC”: Being new to both Windows 10 and OneDrive, somehow I managed to change the “Location” of my “Users” (and therefore also the “This PC”) “Documents” folder to the OneDrive “Documents” folder. So while in File Explorer if I right-click either the “Users” “Documents” or the...