Windows 10: Restoring my repaired/replaced Surface Pro 7 from a saved Windows Image Backup

Discus and support Restoring my repaired/replaced Surface Pro 7 from a saved Windows Image Backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I created a Windows Image Backup on a portable HD and a recovery drive on a USB drive before sending my Surface Pro 7 away to Microsoft for repair or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by James Robertson_59, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Restoring my repaired/replaced Surface Pro 7 from a saved Windows Image Backup

I created a Windows Image Backup on a portable HD and a recovery drive on a USB drive before sending my Surface Pro 7 away to Microsoft for repair or replacement.

The problem is a Surface Pro 7 has only one USB port, how do I boot the Surface from the recovery drive and access the Windows Image Backup on a portable HD.

If I boot of the C Drive I get the following error

Restoring my repaired/replaced Surface Pro 7  from a saved Windows Image Backup 4fbece2c-ad93-4cac-afe4-92045198f47b?upload=true.png

:)

James Robertson_59, Jun 26, 2020
  2. rcgldr Win User

Win 7 image restore breaks ability to see Win 10 image backups

I have a multi-boot system, XP Pro (32 bit), XP Pro X64 (64 bit), Win 7 Pro (64 bit), Win 10 Pro (64 bit). Each OS is on a separate hard drive and partition. The C: partition is boot only (no operating system on it).

I did a system image backup from Win 10 and also from Win 7. Once I do a Win 7 image restore using Win 7 repair (dvd), the Win 10 images backups no longer appear in the list of backups if I later run Win 10 repair or Win 7 repair.

The workaround for this bug is to do a system image backup from Win 7 and include the Win 10 partition in the Win 7 image backup (to Win 7, the Win 10 partition is a "data" partition). The the Win 7 repair will restore the Win 10 partition unless restore to "non-system" partitions is turned off. I confirmed this works by formatting both the Win 7 and Win 10 partitions before doing a repair / restore test.

What I don't understand is what the Win 7 restore changes to my system that prevents the Win 10 backup system images from appearing in the list of image backups. The Win 10 image folders are still present on my hard drive(s).

rcgldr, Jun 26, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Restoring my repaired/replaced Surface Pro 7  from a saved Windows Image Backup [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Jun 26, 2020
  4. BulldogXX Win User

Restoring my repaired/replaced Surface Pro 7 from a saved Windows Image Backup

Save the Windows Image Backup

Actually, Windows System Image is not nearly as convenient and flexible as third-party imaging software. With a third-party application I can:

• define and save multiple backup jobs;
    • run backup jobs on independant schedules;
    • maintain a rotating history of backups;
    • easily create and maintain incremental backups;
    • restore a backup in minutes without needing a working copy of Windows;
    • restore a backup to dissimilar hardware
    among many other benefits.

Windows System Image is like other utilities included with Windows over the years, like Notepad, Windows Fax and Scan, native compression, Wordpad, Voice Reorder, etc. that were not intended to replace third-party software but instead offered a basic amount
    of functionality to folks who didn't know how or were too nervous to try installing software.

BulldogXX, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

Restoring my repaired/replaced Surface Pro 7 from a saved Windows Image Backup

1. Restoring my repaired/replaced Surface Pro 7 from a saved Windows Image Backup - Similar Threads - Restoring repaired replaced

2. Cannot repair from image backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot repair from image backup: My laptop has two drives: SYSTEM and DATA.1 I have created image backup of SYSTEM on the DATA drive.2 I created an installation media USB disk. 3 I have replaced SYSTEM drive with new one4 boot from an installation media USB drive, and choose Repair, Troubleshot, and System...
  3. Cannot repair from image backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot repair from image backup: My laptop has two drives: SYSTEM and DATA.1 I have created image backup of SYSTEM on the DATA drive.2 I created an installation media USB disk. 3 I have replaced SYSTEM drive with new one4 boot from an installation media USB drive, and choose Repair, Troubleshot, and System...
  4. Surface Pro 7+ possible replacement

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro 7+ possible replacement: Hi there,I have a Surface Pro 7+, its Serial Number is 003009210253. It has recently had problems due to overheating as a result of being brought on-the-go for work often, and this has left the screen being unable to light up, however it still shows content on the screen very...
  5. Surface Pro 7+ possible replacement

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Pro 7+ possible replacement: Hi there,I have a Surface Pro 7+, its Serial Number is 003009210253. It has recently had problems due to overheating as a result of being brought on-the-go for work often, and this has left the screen being unable to light up, however it still shows content on the screen very...
  6. Surface Pro 7+ possible replacement

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Restoring from system image backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring from system image backup: submitted by /u/SgtJackVisback [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lk0h04/restoring_from_system_image_backup/
  8. Windows 10 - Windows 7-style Backup, Restore: "there are no backups saved on the current...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 - Windows 7-style Backup, Restore: "there are no backups saved on the current...: On Windows 10 2004 I have Windows 7-style Backup configured to run a weekly backup of all of the system drive C: plus a system restore image to another local drive F:\WindowsImageBackup\{$MACHINENAME} In the Windows 10 Windows 7-style Backup applet, in the Restore options...
  9. Windows (7) backup and restore for Windows 10 Pro.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows (7) backup and restore for Windows 10 Pro.: I recently switched off schedule (in backup and restore) and now backup and restore is frozen. I followed your link, Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 How to Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 Published by Shawn BrinkCategory: Backup & Restore 22...
  10. Restore from Windows Image Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore from Windows Image Backup: I Created an image backup using Windows 10. I burned the repair CD. I booted from cd. Options are most recent backup [but it only shows D:\, the factory backup partition]. No browse capability. Other option does not let me browse to the folder the system created,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot