Windows 10: Restoring not very old FileHistory backups

Discus and support Restoring not very old FileHistory backups in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an issue trying to restore files from Windows 10 FileHistory. For the first time, on May 27 2020, I used option : Settings Update & Security... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NeilEames, Jun 2, 2020.

1. NeilEames Win User

Restoring not very old FileHistory backups

I have an issue trying to restore files from Windows 10 FileHistory.

For the first time, on May 27 2020, I used option :
    Settings Update & Security Backup Automatically back up my files
    I had 'file history' turned on.

The backups are being written to an external drive.

When I browse the external dive, I have files such as :
    flash-coloring-pages-1 2020_05_27 04_04_05 UTC.jpg

So a backup of this file, and many, many others, was taken on May 27 2020, when I initially turned the file backup on.

However, when I try to restore files :
    Settings Update & Security Backup Back up using File History More options Restore files from a current backup ,

the oldest backup the system offers to restore for me is : June 2 2020 8.47am 1 of 14.

I have now turned my back up off, but previously it was left set on, which appears to have caused my current grief.
    I did notice somewhere I can't find the screen at the moment that my backups were set to 'every hour'.
    I have been using the external drive for another purpose, so the backup system has been taking numerous unnecessary backups.

My issue :

It seems the restore process offers to only restore back to the 14th most recent backup.

As previously stated, the oldest backup the system offers to restore for me is : June 2 2020 8.47am 1 of 14.

Is the restore process limited to a strict number 14 of the most recent of backups?

Can I set that number higher?

Is there some other way restore files backed up on May 27 2020?

Thanks.

Neil.

:)

NeilEames, Jun 2, 2020

2. FIleHistory: some folders are not backup up anymore

Preamble: I have been used FileHistory to backup my folders and files on a network drive since long.

All backup up folders where included in the Library, therefore I nave used the Backup Contro Panel to include other folders in the backup list.

Up to yesterday everything was working fine.

Yesterday I used the Backup Control Panel to see what was happening if I was adding folder "C:\User\Paolo" to the list of included folders.

Shame on me ..

Since then FileHistory stopped backing up all folders, with one exception: the special folder "Download" which is the only one in my Library to be located in drive D:\ (that is, outside C:\User\Paolo)

Removing the folder C:\User\Paolo from the included didn't work.

Restoring Windows to a previous restore point did not solve the issue.

Starting a new backup on a different network drive did not work.

The final solution was to both

• remove all files located in C:\Users\Paolo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration
    • start a new backup in a new folder/network drive

I hope that sharing this will help others with the same issue.

Paolo

Paolo Cremonesi, Jun 2, 2020
  3. JimA1958 Win User
    Missing FileHistory Folders and Files After System Image Restore-Win10

Hi Sher and Others,

Thank you so much for your response. The links included had good advice on using basic features of FileHistory and creating a system image. I used Windows 10 FileHistory to save my files/folders onto a backup drive. I used Backup and Recovery (Windows 7)
    to create my system image. I restored the system image using the Windows 10 System Image Recovery. Before the recovery, I had verified on several occasions that files were available within the FileHistory folder on the backup drive from manual and search inspection.

I am sure FileHistory stores a database of files and folders it processes. Restoring my drive with an earlier system image would have replaced that database. Therefore, running the Restore Files options from FileHistory would only show files/folders in the
    replaced database.

My current FileHistory folder on the backup drive has two user folders, e.g., Jim and Jim (2). Their sizes are 100GB and 480GB respectively. The FileHistory after restore reports a Size of Backup of 100GB. I believe my missing files/folders might still be
    in my FileHistory folder on my backup drive.

* Will FileHistory delete files/folders from the backup drive that are not listed in its database?

* Is there a software tool that can rebuild the FileHistory database using the files/folders contained on the backup drive?

Thanks again for your continued help.

JimA.

JimA1958, Jun 2, 2020
  4. Restoring not very old FileHistory backups

File History Restore Not Working

My apologies for my not explaining my problem clearly.

File History would always list my external drive. It would not list the File History backup subfolder, "Computer Name", which contained my backup.

I completed the 5 steps you recommended, and in step (4), using Windows Explorer, I opted to change the name to "File History.old" instead of deleting it. Had I deleted it, all my backup files that I want to reload onto drive C would have been gone.

When I look at the external backup drive in Windows Explorer it now shows 4 folders, $RECYCLE.BIN, FileHistory, FileHistory.old and System Volume Information. Bottom line, FileHistory contains only the backed up data currently on Drive C as a result of step
    5, while FileHistory.old contains the data I wish to reload.

Now when I go to Control Panel/File History/Select drive, and select the external backup drive, only the subfolder contained in FileHistory shows up. The subfolder contained in FileHistory.old, which contains the data I wish to restore, is still not listed.
    When I select "Restore personal files" it only shows folders associated with FileHistory.

Thanks for your attention and help, but I am now resigned to copying and pasting the files that I need to restore. I totally yield to the higher power that is Microsoft.

Again thanks,

RP

Robert Pat Vaughn, Jun 2, 2020
Thema:

Restoring not very old FileHistory backups

1. Restoring not very old FileHistory backups - Similar Threads - Restoring very old

2. WINDOWS 10 - FILEHISTORY BACKUPS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WINDOWS 10 - FILEHISTORY BACKUPS: Hi. Q. I have an external hard drive which I have been using to copy files from a laptop using FileHistory. I now have a second laptop and I would like to copy files from it to the same drive I've been using for my other laptop, also using FileHistory. I want to make sure...
  3. FileHistory Very Unreliable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    FileHistory Very Unreliable: I get it to work by disabling system protection or by deleting the config files and all original FileHistory files, but it didn't even like 8 hours before it stopped backing up files. This is the error I get in event viewer: Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration...
  4. Created a FileHistory back-up folder from my old laptop. Want to restore that backup on a...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Created a FileHistory back-up folder from my old laptop. Want to restore that backup on a...: I made a backup of my old laptop using the standard backup option on an external drive. The files are all stored in a folder called FileHistory => [user name] => [the device name]. When I was choosing a file history drive, the external drive did show up but the File History...
  5. FileHistory backup

FileHistory backup: Regarding FileHistory backup drive, if I select "Stop using device" can I still use the same external hard drive by selecting "Add a drive"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/filehistory-backup/23338f5f-61e8-4e31-bcce-25018f07f0f0
  6. filehistory old versions

filehistory old versions: when running the version cleanup does it only look at backup files for the current PC or all PCs under filehistory on the same backup drive? also there are 3 versions of this PC under filehistory can I just delete the 2 unused ones?...
  7. Restoring an old backup

Restoring an old backup: in 2009 I backed up my wife's data onto discs before she got rid of her laptop. I now want to restore the data to my Windows 10 laptop but cannot find any software. Any ideas please....
  8. Filehistory retrieve backup

Filehistory retrieve backup: Hi all, I have set up a filehistory backup to backup specific folders from my hard drive to an external SSD. This has worked perfectly and it the backup shows on my SSD. All files are backed up and given a name extension with the date the files were backed up. So far so...
  9. Backup old computer and restore onto new computer

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup old computer and restore onto new computer: A friend of mine smashed his all-in-on PC with Windows 10 Home and asked me to make a backup of his data and later restore the data onto his new PC. I have basically two questions about this: 1.) How do I do the backup best? Can this be done with Windows' own backup feature,...
  10. FileHistory says I've never done a backup..err

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    FileHistory says I've never done a backup..err: Having had a disaster meaning I had to rest my system, and stupidly not having backed up my files for sometime, I am now keeping an external drive connected to record FileHistory. However, on going to Settings>Update & Security>Backup> backup Options it seems I have never...