Windows 10: Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?

Discus and support Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Just reset windows 10 to solve a network issue {[SOLVED ]Unidenified Network, No Internet Access - Microsoft Community}, and I chose the option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Celeborn_Black, Jul 11, 2022.

1. Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?

Hello, Just reset windows 10 to solve a network issue {[SOLVED ]Unidenified Network, No Internet Access - Microsoft Community}, and I chose the option to keep my files, but reinstall windows. I was warned that installed programs would be lost, and so I created a system image backup to an external HDD. Is there a way I can recover everything from this system image except the system files ? Those files I assume were the cause of the issue that forced me to reinstall windows. Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

Celeborn_Black, Jul 11, 2022
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

restore system image from command prompt, drive d: not seen by system restore

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To be able to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the following details:

• Are you trying to restore the system image or create a system image?
    • Are you able to see the external drive in File Explorer?
    • Could you please briefly explain the procedure that you are following to initiate a system image restore?

In the meantime, I suggest you to refer the articles on
    How to: Create a system image in Windows 10
    and

How to restore a Windows 10 system image to an existing or larger storage device
    created by Andre Da Costa.

Please reply with the detailed information, to help you in a better way.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 11, 2022
  3. System Image Restoration in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on Windows 10.

Before we proceed, I would like you to answer the following questions:

• Could you please tell me are you facing any issue with your Windows 10 computer?
    • Could you please explain in detail “Windows 10 restoration of system Image affects all the existing partitions instead of only C:\”?
    When we create system image, by default, a system image includes the drives required for Windows to run. It also includes Windows and your system settings, programs, and files. You can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer
    if your hard disk or computer ever stops working.

In Windows 10 We have an option to select other drives while creating System Image backup. If you have selected other drives too when creating System Image backup it will affect those drives too.

I suggest you to create a system image and check.

To create system image on Windows 10 follow the below methods.

• Type File history in the search area on the taskbar and select File history.

• Click on System image backup on the left bottom corner of the Window file history Window.

• Click on Create System Image on the left panel of the System Image backup windows.

• Select the driver, where you want to Create system Image.

• Follow on screen instruction.
    Please get back to us with the updated information. WE will be happy to assist you further.

AmritaBhattacharjee1709, Jul 11, 2022
  4. Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?

System Image Problem

[table][tr][td]Version[/td] [td]Date[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5.05[/td] [td]8/03/2009[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5.08[/td] [td]7/21/2009[/td] [/tr] [/table]
    Which one is newer?
    Only 5.05 was offered on HP for the machine I linked.
    The description danced around some of the anomalies we're seen with drives.

Since only 5.05 was offered, I questioned 5.08
    Guess we know the answer now - 5.05 failed to flash.
    We could spend time trying to figure that out, but IMO it's better on the back burner for now

I think the next step is to try the Macrium sleight of hand to get the System Image restored.
    I'd like to get the System Image up and running to do the follwoing

• Copy Nick's data to a folder off of the restored System Image C: drive

• run a Belarc Advisor audit to collect license keys for Nick's software

• there might be other data collection that Nick can do in preparation for the final step

The final step is a clean install, install up-to-date MS and 3rd party software, and restore the copied personal data.

Nick was having difficulty locating the outlook files in the System Image - so getting it back running live is the best I can think of.

Thoughts, suggestions, and objections are always welcome and considered

Slartybart, Jul 11, 2022
Thema:

Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?

1. Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ? - Similar Threads - Restoring Programs System

2. [SOLVED] Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [SOLVED] Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?: Hello, Just reset windows 10 to solve a network issue {[SOLVED ]Unidenified Network, No Internet Access - Microsoft Community}, and I chose the option to keep my files, but reinstall windows. I was warned that installed programs would be lost, and so I created a system image...
  3. [SOLVED] Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [SOLVED] Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?: Hello, Just reset windows 10 to solve a network issue {[SOLVED ]Unidenified Network, No Internet Access - Microsoft Community}, and I chose the option to keep my files, but reinstall windows. I was warned that installed programs would be lost, and so I created a system image...
  4. [SOLVED] Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?: Hello, Just reset windows 10 to solve a network issue {[SOLVED ]Unidenified Network, No Internet Access - Microsoft Community}, and I chose the option to keep my files, but reinstall windows. I was warned that installed programs would be lost, and so I created a system image...
  6. Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?: Hello, Just reset windows 10 to solve a network issue {[SOLVED ]Unidenified Network, No Internet Access - Microsoft Community}, and I chose the option to keep my files, but reinstall windows. I was warned that installed programs would be lost, and so I created a system image...
  7. System restore and system image

System restore and system image: So I regularly create backups on my computer using the windows 7 restore tool from the control panel. There comes an option for creating the system image for drive C which is an SSD. I have heard that if the windows goes corrupt or is accidentally reset I can restore the...
  8. System Restore from Image

System Restore from Image: After a recent MS update, my system crashed completely, so I did a clean install and am trying to restore from an image. Windows finds the image and goes through a -very- long process after which it says the restore was successful, but when it reboots, it is back to the...
  9. Restoring from system image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring from system image: Hi there, My hard disk(1Tb capacity) recently died and nothing was recoverable. It was replaced by a SSD (500 Gb) capacity. There was about 800Gb available on the old drive so space wasn't a problem. The old drive had a C: and D: partition. I supplied the technicians with...
  10. Restoring from system image

in Windows 10 Support
    Restoring from system image: Hi there, My hard disk(1Tb capacity) recently died and nothing was recoverable. It was replaced by a SSD (500 Gb) capacity. There was about 800Gb available on the old drive so space wasn't a problem. The old drive had a C: and D: partition. I supplied the technicians with...