Windows 10: Restoring programs from one drive to another after MB upgrade with new hard drive

Discus and support Restoring programs from one drive to another after MB upgrade with new hard drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I want to upgrade my motherboard and do a clean windows 10 install on an NVMe drive. Can I migrate all my programs/files from older SSD onto the new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Beefeaterboy, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Restoring programs from one drive to another after MB upgrade with new hard drive

I want to upgrade my motherboard and do a clean windows 10 install on an NVMe drive. Can I migrate all my programs/files from older SSD onto the new drive using the image restore utility? My concern is the SSD will also contain the windows 10 OS on there. Or does windows just overwrite stuff?

Thank you for any guidance

:)

Beefeaterboy, Nov 20, 2020
  2. sumasage Win User

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Nov 20, 2020
  3. Free hard drive backup/restore program?

Obviously you're looking for something besides your Xp Pro utility that does this?

thoughtdisorder, Nov 20, 2020
  4. C R A Win User

Restoring programs from one drive to another after MB upgrade with new hard drive

Restore files after damaged hard drive

My hard drive died and was replaced by Dell. Fortunately (I think) my files were backed up to a Seagate external drive and I can find no clear instructions on how to restore/move my files correctly to my new hard drive.

I have the Seagate dashboard but it doesn't seem to find my files.

Are there specific steps? I suppose I could drag and drop the photos and music but I have other files, programs and information that I would like restored back like the original.

Any suggestions?

C R A, Nov 20, 2020
Thema:

Restoring programs from one drive to another after MB upgrade with new hard drive

1. Restoring programs from one drive to another after MB upgrade with new hard drive - Similar Threads - Restoring programs drive

2. Transferring Windows to one Hard drive to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring Windows to one Hard drive to another: Hello,I am in a unique situation where I had to remove my hard drive from my windows computer. All the contents of that hard drive now lives in a locally shared folder space dropbox. I now would like to copy the contents of the old hard drive now on dropbox to another hard...
  3. copying from one external hard drive to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copying from one external hard drive to another: I am trying to copy a large folder of photo files from one external hard drive to another in Windows 10. I used a drag and drop command and the resulting window showed progress as I could see the names of individual photo files showing briefly. After the copy process...
  4. One of my hard drives is accessible from another PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    One of my hard drives is accessible from another PC: Hi guys, Basically one of my hard drives can be accessed by another PC on the network (I'm checking via RDP). I have no idea how or why, but I want it to stop lol. In CMD after typing net share there is not shared network drive, looking in fsmgmt.msc it is not shared....
  5. Copy one hard drive "in toto" and move to another hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy one hard drive "in toto" and move to another hard drive: I have purchased a 2 TB Samsung SSD to replace a 2 TB Toshiba HD - it is the system boot drive. What software have you successfully used to move one drive to the other - so that when I power off and remove the Toshiba HD, the system boots from the new 2 TB Samsung SSD???...
  6. Transfer from one hard drive to another?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer from one hard drive to another?: I had a 120GB SSD and decided, since I'm running low on space, to upgrade to a 480GB SSD. However, I wanted to use the 120GB for something else now (Linux) and then use the 480GB as the main hard drive. That being said, since my Windows 10 OS (and saved files) is on my 120GB...
  7. Move Hard Drive from One Laptop to Another

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move Hard Drive from One Laptop to Another: I have two laptops, both are Dell Inspiron model 5558 with identical hardware configurations. Both are Win 10 version 1903. Due to a hinge issue with the primary machine, I want to move the hard drive from the one with the damaged hinge to the one without the hinge problem....
  8. transfer one hard drive to another?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transfer one hard drive to another?: How to I transfer One Hard drive to another? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-one-hard-drive-to-another/0999f86b-9ea6-439b-84b4-e510b8a0e59a"
  9. Backup from one external hard drive to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup from one external hard drive to another: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 laptop with the latest version of Windows 10. I have been backing up my photos from one external hard drive to another (both 2TB) using Windows 7 backup and restore for a few years. After copying all my images to a 5TB drive, and having another blank...
  10. Transfering Hard Drive from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfering Hard Drive from one computer to another: I have an old computer that has win 10 on a SSD. I'd like to transfer the old SSD to a completely new rig and get rid of the old hardware. How do I do it?...