Windows 10: restoring quarantined items

Discus and support restoring quarantined items in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; where is the history tab in MSE https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/restoring-quarantined-items/bf7f1eef-3b43-4640-b871-7f45da593878 Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by williamwhite687, Oct 5, 2018.

1. restoring quarantined items

where is the history tab in MSE

:)

williamwhite687, Oct 5, 2018
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

Where to restore quarantined items in Windows 10 creator update?

Hi,

As per the description of the issue, you would like to know how to restore files that has been quarantined by Windows Defender. For us to assist you, here's a simple guide on how to see where the quarantined files are located:

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Go to History tab.
    • In the History tab, check for Quarantined items.
    • Place a check on the file that you want to restore, this should enable
      Allow item
    • Press Allow item, this should bring the file back to the original location.

To check where the files are located, kindly follow the steps listed below:

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Go to History tab.
    • In the History tab, check for Quarantined items.
    • Click on view details.
    • In the description, it will show you the file path where it is located.

Let us know if the resolution provided works.

Paolo Mag, Oct 8, 2018
  3. Where to restore quarantined items in Windows 10 creator update?

Nothing has changed. We still have erroneous status reports in the Full history page just like we did in the All detected items page in the classic Defender interface. If a threat doesn't appear in the Quarantined threats list on the Scan history page, then
    it wasn't actually quarantined.

So we need to correct the documentation here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/help/antimalware-faq

On Windows Defender Antivirus for Windows 10 version 1703 and later:

• Use the Windows search box to find and open the Windows Defender Security Center
    • Navigate to the Virus & threat protection > Scan history.
    • Under Quarantined threats, select See full history

On earlier versions of Windows:

• Open Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Defender.
    • Click the History tab.
    • Select Quarantined items and then View details. You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.
    Once you have reviewed the quarantined items you can:

• Select Remove all to delete all quarantined software.
    • Select individual files, and then click Remove or Restore.
    • Select Quarantined items and then View details. You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.

restoring quarantined items bfcc581a-7534-4ea7-ac13-eda99e9658d1.png

GreginMich, Oct 8, 2018
  4. Joanne Win User

restoring quarantined items

Where to restore quarantined items in Windows 10 creator update?

So far I had no joy so I dug around. There is a command line futility that can solve the problem if you grit your teeth and hold your tongue sideways.

1) Open a CMD prompt as adminstrator.

2) Visit the "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender" folder.

3) "dir *.exe" should show "mpcmdrun.exe". He is your best friend of the moment.

4) "mpcmdrun -?" gives a list of commands. Near the bottom are the interesting parameters. "-restore" says you want to restore.

mpcmdrun -restore -listall

This shows a list of quarantined items.

mpcmdrun -restore -all

This restores ALL quarantined items. Be afraid. Be very afraid. But it can be useful.

mpcmdrun -restore -name "fu.bar"

This will restore fu.bar to its rightful place in the universe.

Then figure out how to submit a false detection report to the Windows crew. (In my case I knew freaking well the file was clean and legitimate. I'd designed and built the file myself - a midi device driver DLL. The build detected was 4 years old already.)

I hope this rescues at least one person from Quarantine Hell.

{^_^}

Joanne, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

restoring quarantined items

1. restoring quarantined items - Similar Threads - restoring quarantined items

2. restoring quarantined threat not doing anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    restoring quarantined threat not doing anything: when i try to click the button under threat quarantined to remove the threat nothing happens i cant restore it other drop down menus in windows defender work, everything else works...
  3. restoring quarantined threat not doing anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    restoring quarantined threat not doing anything: when i try to click the button under threat quarantined to remove the threat nothing happens i cant restore it other drop down menus in windows defender work, everything else works...
  4. Remove quarantined items from your computer?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Remove quarantined items from your computer?: I have 4 quarantined items in my protection history.I want to know if the threat is still on my computer.How I can remove them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/remove-quarantined-items-from-your-computer/36105ede-1cff-4afc-845d-57d2dd8c5df2
  5. quarantined items

quarantined items: How do I delete quarantined items. Windows Defender does not list them or offer a way to remove them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/quarantined-items/d8fd7a87-e19d-41fc-bf67-2435b0e7d6b8
  6. Quarantined item marked severe No option to empty

Quarantined item marked severe No option to empty: Hi Everyone, Windows 10 has quarantined "something" marked severe under History Protection but I don't see an option to empty. I have heard that after sometime that quarantened items are automatically emptied but it's been 3 days just sitting there. I am concerned to do...
  7. Accidentally restored quarantined trojan

Accidentally restored quarantined trojan: I got a trojan quarantined but instead of clicking remove, I clicked restore. Now whenever I scan the file nothing shows up apart form a notification saying that the scanner skipped a file. When I click it, it takes me to the exclusions page, but there's nothing there. What...
  8. View details of quarantined items all at once?

View details of quarantined items all at once?: I restored an old drive that has many EXE files, which are self-running presentations from old CD-ROM projects of mine, and I'm attempting to copy them over using a third party back up app, however Windows 10 has snagged a whole bunch them all at once in rapid fire and sent...
  9. restoring quarantined items

restoring quarantined items: where is the history tab in MSE https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_scanning-windows_7/restoring-quarantined-items/bf7f1eef-3b43-4640-b871-7f45da593878
  10. How to delete quarantined items

How to delete quarantined items: So when I go to the quarantined items and I check the history, I there's only a details and allow button, there's no remove button, please help! I don't want to be affected with viruses!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender allow quarantined item missing