Windows 10: Restoring System Image Backup after RAM/SSD changes?

Discus and support Restoring System Image Backup after RAM/SSD changes? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Sorry if this is a dumb question. Would RAM/SSD changes made after creating the backup (in my case, 8GB-> 2x8GB, added a second SSD) cause issues when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/user531800869420, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Restoring System Image Backup after RAM/SSD changes?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Would RAM/SSD changes made after creating the backup (in my case, 8GB-> 2x8GB, added a second SSD) cause issues when restoring from a system image backup?

submitted by /u/user531800869420
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/user531800869420, Sep 13, 2020
  2. DexterG Win User

How to restore a system image backup to a hardware encrypting SSD (eDrive)

Has anyone figured out how to restore a system image backup to a hardware encrypting SSD (eDrive)? The problem I am experiencing is that I can successfully restore the system image to the SSD but hardware encryption is no longer enableable like it was before
    the backup and restore.

Here is a basic overview of the procedure: How to Restore System Image Backups on Windows 7, 8, and 10

Here are the specific steps I followed to reproduce and document this problem:

1. Install Windows 10 (1607) onto a Crucial M500 SSD eDrive.

2. Turn on Bitlocker and the C: drive is instantly encrypted on reboot.

3. Confirm hardware encryption using Manage-bde -Status.

4. Create a system image backup using the "Create a system image" command under "File History/System Image Backup" or "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" in the Control Panel.

5. Boot to a Windows thumb drive or DVD, open a command prompt and Clean the SSD using Diskpart.

6. Restore the system image backup to the SSD. Process completes successfully and Windows runs normally.

7. Re-enable Bitlocker but only software encryption is available. The hardware encryption which was working fine before the image backup and restore is now inoperative.

I have tried this several times with various changes, such as clearing the TPM, turning Bitlocker off before creating the system image, and using a 1511 version of Windows 10 instead of the 1607 version. The results are always the same.

Conclusion: System image backups of a hardware encrypted drive are unusable because the hardware encryption can never be turned on again after the image is restored to a new, or even the same, SSD.

If anyone has figured out how to make this work I would love to hear your solution!

However, I think it is currently impossible because of a bug in Bitlocker, System Image Recovery, or both. I'm hoping that someone from Microsoft will take notice of this post and address the problem, either by providing a procedure that actually works or
    by fixing the malfunctioning code in Windows.

DexterG, Sep 13, 2020
  3. Restore a System Image Backup

I created a Windows 10 System Image backup of my SSD drive, and stored it on a 64GB USB stick prior to sending my computer in for repair. Of course, the SSD was needlessly wiped and reset to factory defaults, so now I want to restore the system image.
    Unfortunately, I can't get Windows to recognize the USB nor a copy of that image on a hard drive during the "select an image" process. In addition, I copied that backup to a NAS device and tried to get the restore software to recognize that, but it just keeps
    giving me the same error.

I've tried using the advanced startup to select an image both from within Windows 10 as well as via booting from a USB stick that was loaded with the Windows 10 media tools. The same errors and dialogs are presented.

What are the steps to replace the factory image with my backed up system image?

Unfortunately, the system image is not bootable since that would make too much sense.

Kirk Hutchinson, Sep 13, 2020
  4. Restoring System Image Backup after RAM/SSD changes?

How to restore a Windows 10 system image to an existing or larger storage device

Just tried restoring a WIN 10 backup (made from 500gb SSD to 1TB SSD) get the message " the system image restore failed the parameter is incorrect 0x80070057"

• Apparently it is not possible to restore to a different SSD using WIN 10 backup and restore

TomWalsh14, Sep 13, 2020
Thema:

Restoring System Image Backup after RAM/SSD changes?

1. Restoring System Image Backup after RAM/SSD changes? - Similar Threads - Restoring System Image

2. Restore complete system image backup on laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore complete system image backup on laptop: When I try to recover my data from a system image backup I made from an external hard drive in Windows Recovery, it says I need to create a disk. However, the issue is that I am doing this on a laptop that doesn't have a CD/DVD-ROM drive. Aside from purchasing a portable one,...
  3. Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup: After a recent win 10 update completely immobilized my hard drive, I was forced to backup the drive from a saved image. The system restored fine, but when I try to restore my files backed up through File History, I get into an endless loop of identifying the drive with the...
  4. Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup: After a recent win 10 update completely immobilized my hard drive, I was forced to backup the drive from a saved image. The system restored fine, but when I try to restore my files backed up through File History, I get into an endless loop of identifying the drive with the...
  5. Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. backup and restore system image fails

backup and restore system image fails: I am having a problem with backup and restore not completing a system image backup. I've researched this problem in this forum and have not found an answer that works. I have an Acer machine running windows 10 Home. It has a 1 TB internal hard drive and a 1TB external hard...
  7. Restoring from system image backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring from system image backup: submitted by /u/SgtJackVisback [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lk0h04/restoring_from_system_image_backup/
  8. Combinte backup and restore system images

Combinte backup and restore system images: I have been testing different backup programs, and periodically I manually created a system image using backup and restore. However, I did not always use the same external drive for these images. As a result, I have a WindowsImageBackup folder on two different drives. Is...
  9. How to restore system image backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to restore system image backup: Hi guys, i made a system image backup of the window 10 running on my toshiba laptop via control panel on a external harddrive. And i am trying to restore it by going to window recovery, then system image recovery in advanced options. But the problem i am facing it that when i...
  10. System Image or Backup and Restore Files in Win10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image or Backup and Restore Files in Win10: Hi, A few days ago I discovered I had some corruptive files preventing me from Updating successfully. So, after much hair-pulling I did a Windows 10 reinstall via a USB Flash Drive while Windows was running and it was successful thanks to some talented folks on this forum....