Windows 10: Restoring System Image caused One Drive files to be deleted

Discus and support Restoring System Image caused One Drive files to be deleted in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I restored my Windows 10 computer from a saved System Image. After restoring, I found many folders and files that had been added to my One Drive since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Guatdad, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Guatdad Win User

Restoring System Image caused One Drive files to be deleted

I restored my Windows 10 computer from a saved System Image. After restoring, I found many folders and files that had been added to my One Drive since the saved System Image was created were deleted. Fortunately, they were in the Recycle Bin. How should I have restored from a System image to prevent this from happening?

:)

Guatdad, Mar 1, 2020
  2. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CRestoring System Image caused One Drive files to be deleted :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CRestoring System Image caused One Drive files to be deleted :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Mar 1, 2020
  3. jellyroll Win User

AndreTen - I have tried Disk Cleanup but unfortunately the problem entries did not go away.
    I feel certain Bree (VIP Member) has identified the correct cause of this problem as above and his adviced solution should also do the trick.

- - - Updated - - -

Bree - Thank you. I must admit that I did use 'Create system image' a few times in 'Backup & Restore (Windows 7)' instead of 'Backup now' and these ghost entries relate to those actions. You have rightly identified the cause of this issue.
    It is crazy that Microsoft has put two different backup options causing the issue of these ghost restore points.

Regarding your advice on how to rectify the issue - I must add that I am not very computer savvy and feel reluctant to use Diskpart utility etc to delete 'WindowsImageBackup\SPPMetadataCache' and 'WindowsImageBackup\Catalog folders' from within 'System Volume Information' folder with command Prompt as I fear damaging the pc by making any mistakes, as I have never done this before.

Please advice if there may be another simpler method to delete the above folders OR if you are able and have time to post a step by step instructions (with pictures if possible) on how to follow your advice. Much appreciated.

jellyroll, Mar 1, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

I know of no easier way to delete them, so here are the instructions.

A System Image restore point is describe as type 'Backup'.

Restoring System Image caused One Drive files to be deleted [​IMG]

First, go to Settings > Backup & Restore > Recovery and select the 'Restart now' button in Advanced Start-up.

When you get Advanced Start-up, select Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then Command Prompt.

You will be asked to choose an administrator account and supply it's password, then the Command Prompt will open.

Type the commands DISKPART then LIST VOL and EXIT to see a list of all drives, in this example the Windows system is on the C: drive, yours may have a different letter. Whatever the letter is, type it followed by a colon to switch to that drive, in this example I typed C:

Then use the CD (change directory) command CD System Volume Information\WindowsImageBackup

Use the DIR command to check you are in the right folder, then use DEL to delete the contents of each of the Catalog and SPPMetadataCache folders.

Youn can now close the command prompt window (or type EXIT) to restart the PC and go back to Windows.

All System Image Restore points of type 'Backup' will now have gone.

Bree, Mar 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Restoring System Image caused One Drive files to be deleted - Similar Threads - Restoring System Image

2. one drive files restore

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    one drive files restore: My one drive files are deleted. Please help me to restore my one drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-files-restore/0848a996-bc0d-478d-91c8-3472a727fac7
  3. Restore the files on one drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restore the files on one drive: I moved my files from one drive to my PC drive 1 month ago. Then my PC has crashed. Can I resotre the file on onedrive? There was no file in trash box. It seems that when I moved the file from one drive, it did not go to the trash....
  4. Restore the files on one drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore the files on one drive: I moved my files from one drive to my PC drive 1 month ago. Then my PC has crashed. Can I resotre the file on onedrive? There was no file in trash box. It seems that when I moved the file from one drive, it did not go to the trash....
  5. How to restore files deleted from One Drive

How to restore files deleted from One Drive: I deleted some files from One Drive by mistake. I desperately need to get them back. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-files-deleted-from-one-drive/103a3703-2f59-4ce5-8b99-8ab1bd8f4f19
  6. How would restoring a system image affect One drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How would restoring a system image affect One drive?: Let's say i imaged my laptop using a disk imaging solution and 3 months later found the need to restore the same during which time i have made plenty of changes to the files in my One drive local folder and to one drive files uploaded to the cloud. On restoration of image...
  7. Restore One Drive From a Windows System Image

Restore One Drive From a Windows System Image: I had a single drive not the C drive fail in my computer but bought a new one. I have a Windows system image from about two months ago and would only like to restore the image of that one drive so I don't have to do everything I did in the last two months over again on my...
  8. No available drive for restore system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No available drive for restore system image: My hard drive crashed. I bought a new one, used a bootable USB to restore a system image and got the error message. I searched online and received many options. Tried them all to no avail. I reinstalled Win 10 Pro and tried to do it again. No luck. What am I missing?...
  9. How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore: Windows 10 64-bit. When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an...
  10. Deleting system image file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleting system image file: Hi I have read lots of advice about deleting system image files but I get blocked everytime by the message 'file is in use and cannot be deleted' and I have no idea how to get around this any suggestions please. Windows 10 user#...