Windows 10: Restoring system using system image windows 10

Discus and support Restoring system using system image windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; when restoring computer from system image in windows 10, does the target drive have to be at least the same size as the drive containing the image. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JIME3, Oct 16, 2018.

1. JIME3 Win User

Restoring system using system image windows 10

when restoring computer from system image in windows 10, does the target drive have to be at least the same size as the drive containing the image. I'm getting contradictory answers from various forums. also does it have to be an external drive ?

:)

JIME3, Oct 16, 2018

2. System Image Restoration in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on Windows 10.

Before we proceed, I would like you to answer the following questions:

• Could you please tell me are you facing any issue with your Windows 10 computer?
    • Could you please explain in detail “Windows 10 restoration of system Image affects all the existing partitions instead of only C:\”?
    When we create system image, by default, a system image includes the drives required for Windows to run. It also includes Windows and your system settings, programs, and files. You can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer
    if your hard disk or computer ever stops working.

In Windows 10 We have an option to select other drives while creating System Image backup. If you have selected other drives too when creating System Image backup it will affect those drives too.

I suggest you to create a system image and check.

To create system image on Windows 10 follow the below methods.

• Type File history in the search area on the taskbar and select File history.

• Click on System image backup on the left bottom corner of the Window file history Window.

• Click on Create System Image on the left panel of the System Image backup windows.

• Select the driver, where you want to Create system Image.

• Follow on screen instruction.
    Please get back to us with the updated information. WE will be happy to assist you further.

AmritaBhattacharjee1709, Oct 16, 2018
  3. Windows 10 system image restore points unable to delete

Have deleted system image backups using the windows 10 suggested method. But 2 system image rstore points are still listed under other backups. Have tried all the suggested methods on the net and from the microsoft community, but the system image restore
    points remain. Even after deleting all but the last normal restore points. I guess I can just ignore them. Would appreciate any advice as nothing seems to remove them.

Aquarius 2015, Oct 16, 2018
  4. Restoring system using system image windows 10

System Image Restoration in Windows 10

Hi AmritaBhattacharjee1709

Thank you for showing interest to solve my problem.

Now I will expand my question:

In windows 8 and windows 8.1 I used to restore system image many times to restore my system to earlier dates successfully. During such restoration ONLY my windows partition [C:\] had been undergone the desired changes leaving
    the other partitions in the Disk unchanged. In other words restoration of system image only affected windows partition WITHOUT AFFECTING REMAINING PARTIONS OF THE HARD DISK.

This experience encouraged me to create sytem image in windows 10 Pro (after availing free upgrade and activated) also. So I experimented with system image created in windows 10 to test the effectiveness of restoration function in windows
    10 Pro. I created system image properly and stored it in a portable external hard disk. Then I proceeded with restoration of system image from external portable disk where it had been created and stored. I could successfully restore my system to windows 10
    Pro to the time it was created. But to my utter surprise and dismay the existing data in the remaining partitions(six in numbers) on the internal hard disk vanished leaving the partition sizes intact.
    For the restored Windows 10 only System Volume Information and Recycle Bin folders are available in all the six remaining partitions. The sizes of those partition did not under go any change.To
    my understanding these patitions are not formatted. I attached the internal Hard Disk to linux system and found out that data in the remaining partitions are available for recovery using data recovery software such as photorec etc.

I am not a technical person .

Is there any chance of getting back data from the other partitions?

Why windows 10 restoration of system Image affected all the existing partitions instead of only C:\.?

I repeat my statement. The same restoration of System Image procedure in earlier versions i.e. Windows 7, windows 8 and Windows 8.1 had been quite successful affecting only the Windows Partition C:\ and there had been no change in the remaing partitions.
    The Data in those partitions were intact.

But in Windows 10 Pro the data in the remaining partitions are not available. Only Sustem Volume Information and Recycle Bin folders are available. Also note the partition sizes did not undergo any changes.

May I get any solution ? Thanks and Regards

ERSathyaNarayanan, Oct 16, 2018
Thema:

Restoring system using system image windows 10

1. Restoring system using system image windows 10 - Similar Threads - Restoring system using

2. System Image Restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Image Restore: I am trying to restore a System Image created two weeks ago on an external hdd and everything seems to go well until it begins the restore process at which point I get an error stating the operating systems are different BIOS vs EFI. How do I correct this so that I can use...
  3. Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?: Hi guys, Bear with me on this little odyssey. It's a bit of a ramble, and more just me moaning than asking an actual question, but if anyone can help me figure out where I was going wrong I can sleep a bit easier. I was working on a project to deploy a custom Windows image...
  4. System restore and system image

System restore and system image: So I regularly create backups on my computer using the windows 7 restore tool from the control panel. There comes an option for creating the system image for drive C which is an SSD. I have heard that if the windows goes corrupt or is accidentally reset I can restore the...
  5. Restoring Windows 10 System Image

Restoring Windows 10 System Image: Is it possible to install recovery media on the same external hard drive as the system image? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restoring-windows-10-system-image/1737c692-1129-4665-ad09-81159c764e5b
  6. Use System Image restore

Use System Image restore: I had done a fresh install around middle of May. Kept MS out of it during install. Result was Administrator Account which I later hid, Me as Administrator local, Tester local, and Me with MS account. Setup backups and SR and C as system, D as programs, and E as data. A few...
  7. Windows 10 system image restore

Windows 10 system image restore: Saved an image of Windows 10 ssd along with data hard drive , attempted to restore using recovery CD, the data drive was copied but the system image restore failed with message 0x80070057 "The parameter is incorrect". I am using two new target drives . I have looked at about...
  8. System Image not Restoring.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image not Restoring.: Hi guys, so i reset my Toshiba laptop to its original factory settings and it came with windows 10 home. Then i had to clean install the windows on my laptop again because i was having some trouble with the touchpad drivers, so i wiped C. drive fully and installed window 10...
  9. Restore System Image

Restore System Image: I familiar with restoring a back up image from an external USB HD. My question is, what is the correct procedure for restoring a system image from an incremental or differential back up image. Would I restore the first saved image and then the last incremental or differential...
  10. system restore and imaging.

system restore and imaging.: Hello I have a one T external drive I image to and it recently showed that 2 - 23 or 30 GB images were filling the drive. A friend, using Treesize, explained that this is due to the restore points taking up space. I changed the scale from 2% to 1 and then created one point....