Windows 10: Restoring to a new PC using the OneDrive backup

Discus and support Restoring to a new PC using the OneDrive backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, my files backed up into OneDrive, using this "Backup Important PC Files" function of OneDrive. Now I got a fresh install new PC and want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MobilePaul, May 27, 2020.

1. Restoring to a new PC using the OneDrive backup

Hi,

my files backed up into OneDrive, using this "Backup Important PC Files" function of OneDrive.

Now I got a fresh install new PC and want to restore that data. Actually I want to setup OneDrive that it simply syncs down the files into the same space as they have been on the old PC. I think that is called a restore?

What is the Microsoft official way of doing that? Ideally there is a proven step by step guide - after all, that OneDrive data is the only copy I got. And I do not want OneDrive to remove all cloud data because it syncs my empty box into the cloud...

Using the download function is not really a good idea - then I would need to sort file back into their proper location. And I most likely would create a real mess once I turned OneDrive Sync back on ... having the same file on local disk and in the cloud - but does OneDrive really get that?

Thx,

Paul

:)

MobilePaul, May 27, 2020

2. Official OneDrive "restore" procedure for a new PC

Hi,

I got a new PC install. All my vital files from the old box are uploaded in OneDrive. I am now looking for the official Microsoft procedure how to get those files down to the new PC without OneDrive messing up my stuff in the cloud. BTW - I have this "Backup
    my importan files to OneDrive" option enabled on the old box.

e.g. I am worried that when enabling OneDrive on the new box and signing in to OneDrive, that OneDrive either tries to sync my new empty folders onto the cloud (deletes all the stuff in cloud) or syncs some new system files into the cloud that in turn breks
    again some file structures in my cloud account.

The OneDrive Help does propagate to use OneDrive as a backup media, but seems to totally neglect the restore process ... at least I was unable to find any sound step by step description for my restore scenario. And I won't go for this "just set it up again
    and all will be well" - hey that is my data, right? :-D

thx,

Paul

MobilePaul, May 27, 2020
  3. kernrsn Win User
    W10 Mobile Lumia 830 Backup Not Being Saved to OneDrive

Thanks Chari San,

I understand I can not see what is contained in the backup stored on OneDrive, but I should see them listed. In my case there is not one being stored at all even though the phone reports it has backed up. See screenshots from OneDrive from my phone logged
    into the same account the phone is and the backup settings page above. Without the backup on OneDrive my restored phone will lose at least call history, start screen setup and installed app list from what I have found.

Step #2 is not displayed on the new phone. (How can it restore a backup that is not on OneDrive at all). It skips over that step and I get a default install on the new phone without my call history, start page or app history. I'm not sure what else I
    might be missing but for sure at least those 3 items do not come across.

How do I resolve this issue? Suggestions?

kernrsn, May 27, 2020
  4. Restoring to a new PC using the OneDrive backup

Backup and restore with Onedrive

the .edu OneDrive account in question is already logged-in where you are mentioning. My question is, how do I use the windows 10 backup that was created several days ago, in that OneDrive account, as a restore point to restore my PC back to what it was
    before this accidental formatting.

Shawn Pup Buster, May 27, 2020
Thema:

Restoring to a new PC using the OneDrive backup

1. Restoring to a new PC using the OneDrive backup - Similar Threads - Restoring using OneDrive

2. Using Backup & Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using Backup & Restore: I want to use Backup and Restore to transfer programs and data to a new computer, but the old computer may have been hacked; is there a danger that I will bring the malware to that new computer?...
  3. Using Backup & Restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using Backup & Restore: I want to use Backup and Restore to transfer programs and data to a new computer, but the old computer may have been hacked; is there a danger that I will bring the malware to that new computer?...
  4. Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’: OneDrive backup moved a lot of my files to OneDrive and I’d like to put them back where they were on my laptop and go back to selectively choose which files to store on OneDrive. things are a mess. Is there an ‘easy’ way to do this short on selecting those files one by one ....
  5. Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’: OneDrive backup moved a lot of my files to OneDrive and I’d like to put them back where they were on my laptop and go back to selectively choose which files to store on OneDrive. things are a mess. Is there an ‘easy’ way to do this short on selecting those files one by one ....
  6. Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. BAckup and restore for new User

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BAckup and restore for new User: Hi All Used to be windows user in the xp days and then went to mac. Now Mac's are becoming way too expensive and Windows 10 seems to be a more stable product, I am looking to move back. With Mac I can do a Time Machine backup and just restore all my programs, settings etc...
  8. Official OneDrive "restore" procedure for a new PC

Official OneDrive "restore" procedure for a new PC: Hi, I got a new PC install. All my vital files from the old box are uploaded in OneDrive. I am now looking for the official Microsoft procedure how to get those files down to the new PC without OneDrive messing up my stuff in the cloud. BTW - I have this "Backup my importan...
  9. Use OneDrive for backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Use OneDrive for backup: Good morning all, Can OneDrive (I have the 1TB upgrade) be used for backup of files and the OS ? Is there a tutorial somewhere ? My system consists of: Surface Go, 4GBram, 64GBstorage, Win10 S mode, Edge, Office 365, No physical keyboard, No mouse. Thanks Lee 130841
  10. Backup and restore with Onedrive

Backup and restore with Onedrive: I recently was fixing my partner's laptop drive via hooking it up to my PC. I was trying to format the laptop's drive and in the process I also formatted my P c's drive. But luckily within the last 2 weeks prior to the formatting, I was finally able to use my OneDrive...