Windows 10: Restoring window placement when undocking and docking a laptop

Discus and support Restoring window placement when undocking and docking a laptop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have two extra screens on my laptop at work. I take my laptop to a meeting with no extra screens connected. I come back, dock the laptop, and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by djjjblawson, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Restoring window placement when undocking and docking a laptop

I have two extra screens on my laptop at work. I take my laptop to a meeting with no extra screens connected. I come back, dock the laptop, and the windows need to be rearranged again.

Is there a way to get windows or a utility to keep track of the overall screen configuration #, size, resolution, and remember where windows were placed, so when the screen configuration matches again, it puts applications BACK where they were?

:)

djjjblawson, Jan 14, 2020

2. Undock laptop then dock, all display of windows is lost

when undocking laptop then docking the display windows change size

dayslizard101, Jan 14, 2020
  3. Undock Windows 10 laptop

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I will certainly help you with this.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• Are you facing any issue while undocking the laptop from docking station?
    As of now there is no such software “undock" button for Windows 10, you can use hardware undock button to undock the laptop.

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Jan 14, 2020
  4. Restoring window placement when undocking and docking a laptop

Undock Windows 10 laptop

Hello... Thank you for the response. I was unaware that Windows 10 did not have a software undock button. I'm not having any issues undocking using the physical undock button on the docking station.

One question; since there isn't a software undock button there aren't any hardware profiles to save my dock-settings, this is causing me to have to enable my 2nd monitor each time I dock my laptop. My current setup is as follows: I use my laptop monitor
    + a 22" monitor. The 22" becomes my primary and my secondary is my laptop screen. Is there any way to setup my laptop so that when I dock it it remembers my setup?

Thanks.

WindowsBeatsMac, Jan 14, 2020
Thema:

Restoring window placement when undocking and docking a laptop

1. Restoring window placement when undocking and docking a laptop - Similar Threads - Restoring window placement

2. Blue Screen BSOD when undocking laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue Screen BSOD when undocking laptop: My HP laptop started blue screening when I unplug it from the USB C dock. I have installed all available driver and firmware updates. Can someone please check the attached minidump files and help me with this?Dump Files...
  3. Blue Screen BSOD when undocking laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue Screen BSOD when undocking laptop: My HP laptop started blue screening when I unplug it from the USB C dock. I have installed all available driver and firmware updates. Can someone please check the attached minidump files and help me with this?Dump Files...
  4. Blue Screen BSOD when undocking laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Docking and undocking keeps increasing icon spacing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Docking and undocking keeps increasing icon spacing: Dear MS representatives,Will the Windows 10 bug that causes theHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetricsIconSpacing and IconVerticalSpacingto keep increasing from the default value of -1125 each time a Surface Book device is docked and undocked, ever be fixed?I...
  6. Docking and undocking keeps increasing icon spacing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Docking and undocking keeps increasing icon spacing: Dear MS representatives,Will the Windows 10 bug that causes theHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetricsIconSpacing and IconVerticalSpacingto keep increasing from the default value of -1125 each time a Surface Book device is docked and undocked, ever be fixed?I...
  7. Docking and undocking keeps increasing icon spacing

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Latitude 7400 series & Dell Docking Stations - wifi unusable when undocked

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Latitude 7400 series & Dell Docking Stations - wifi unusable when undocked: Have an issue with a couple of different Dell Latitude laptops in the 7400 series. They're connected to a number of different Dell docking stations. When undocked the wifi completely disapears and the only way to get it back is to reboot the laptop. All drivers and firmware...
  9. Desktop icons keep rearranging after dock/undock

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons keep rearranging after dock/undock: I have a Dell laptop and a Dell external monitor. I am running Windows 10 version 1607 build 14393.1884 I have seen other posts about this but nothing recent. I am new to using a laptop with a second monitor. Every time I dock or undock the laptop, the desktop icons...
  10. Dock or Undock Touch Keyboard in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Dock or Undock Touch Keyboard in Windows 10: How to: Dock or Undock Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 [img] Information You can use different keyboards with Windows to fit your needs. The most common is a physical, external keyboard that you plug into your PC. Windows 10 includes a touch keyboard for PCs. You can...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Restoring undocked window

2. why does window 10 look different docked vs undocked

3. undocked laptop now cant window

4. windows profiles for docked and undocked,
  5. what to do when an app wont open on laptop after undocking laptop from docking station - app is opening on other external monitor and wont show up on laptop screen,
  6. remember window placements using docking windows10