Windows 10: Restoring Windows 10 file backup to new computer

Discus and support Restoring Windows 10 file backup to new computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had issues with an old computer acting bad. So while it was still working, I set up File Backups within Windows 10 so it would be continuously be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by alertcpr, Jun 4, 2019.

1. alertcpr Win User

Restoring Windows 10 file backup to new computer

I had issues with an old computer acting bad. So while it was still working, I set up File Backups within Windows 10 so it would be continuously be backing up.

Then I decommissioned the computer, did a reset, and starting using a different computer, which I had also reset. BOTH computers use Windows 10 Home.

I am trying to restore the files from the old computer to the new computer. The first thing the new computer did when I started the Backup program was to create a new File Backup set, with only a few folders in it (since I have no files on this computer yet).

Now every time I try to start a Restore Using File History, it brings up the backup it created about 10 minutes ago.

The External Hard drive where my backups are located is attached, and I can see it in file explorer. But I can't see the backup sets in File Explorer. Only very old backups

How do I find and restore my backups? Everything is Windows 10.

:)

alertcpr, Jun 4, 2019
  2. Rey Cam Win User

Having trouble restoring from a windows 10 backup to a new computer

Hi Tim,

You can restore files from a backup from another computer by following the steps below:

• Select the Start button, then select Control Panel >
      System and Maintenance > Backup and Restore.
    • Choose Select another backup to restore files from, and then follow the steps in the wizard. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

This files will be restored in a folder having the "Username" of the one who created the file. To find the restored files:

• Select the Start button, then select Computer.
    • Double-click the icon of the drive that the files are saved on, for example
      C:\.
    • Double-click the Users folder. You will see a folder for each user account.
    • Double-click the folder for the user name that was used to create the backup. The restored files will be in the various folders based on where they were located originally.

After performing the steps, kindly share with us the result.

Rey Cam, Jun 4, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 4, 2019
  4. Restoring Windows 10 file backup to new computer

Restore backup files on new computer.

I was able to backup files to an external hard drive, however i cant seem to restore them to new computer. How do you do this. System restore doesnt see the files from new computer.

-> A "File Backup" requires a "File Restore" to restore files and folders.

-> A "System Restore" works only if you previously created an image of your installation.

Did you do a file backup or did you create an image?

What are the operating systems of the two machines?

Frederik Long, Jun 4, 2019
Thema:

Restoring Windows 10 file backup to new computer

1. Restoring Windows 10 file backup to new computer - Similar Threads - Restoring file backup

2. Restoring windows backup in a new array

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring windows backup in a new array: Hi,I am responsible for operating windows server 2016. The server has 3 hard drives, and the controller is on RAID 0 mode. I want to change the array to RAID 1. Can I backup the server to an external drive, change the array to RAID 0, and restore the backup using the CD...
  3. Restoring windows backup in a new array

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restoring windows backup in a new array: Hi,I am responsible for operating windows server 2016. The server has 3 hard drives, and the controller is on RAID 0 mode. I want to change the array to RAID 1. Can I backup the server to an external drive, change the array to RAID 0, and restore the backup using the CD...
  4. Windows 10 backup and restore - File history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 backup and restore - File history: Does Microsoft still support Windows 10 Backup and Restore File History? I have read differing opinions on this? Is it being phased out? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-backup-and-restore-file-history/48ead602-8f04-49b3-9d8f-b8d056df5ebe
  5. BAckup and restore for new User

BAckup and restore for new User: Hi All Used to be windows user in the xp days and then went to mac. Now Mac's are becoming way too expensive and Windows 10 seems to be a more stable product, I am looking to move back. With Mac I can do a Time Machine backup and just restore all my programs, settings etc...
  6. restore a backup from old computer to a new one - both windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    restore a backup from old computer to a new one - both windows 10: how do i restore a backup from my old computer to my new one - backup files are on an SD card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-a-backup-from-old-computer-to-a-new-one/ba22eb2a-e6c7-4b39-8fe1-931b7ea2b786
  7. Restoring Backup to New Machine

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring Backup to New Machine: Hello, I have small home based business and I have a computer that has all my software for accounting, orders etc. I paid a consultant good money to set and configure all that. He also said he put 2 drives that copy on each other so if one go bad, the other takes over. Have...
  8. Backup old computer and restore onto new computer

Backup old computer and restore onto new computer: A friend of mine smashed his all-in-on PC with Windows 10 Home and asked me to make a backup of his data and later restore the data onto his new PC. I have basically two questions about this: 1.) How do I do the backup best? Can this be done with Windows' own backup feature,...
  9. Restoring a Windows 10 Backup to Another Computer

Restoring a Windows 10 Backup to Another Computer: My hard drive failed and took out the motherboard when it failed. I had run an Windows 10 backup to a backup drive prior to the failure. Can I restore the backup to another computer running Windows 10?...
  10. Backup and Restore Files

Backup and Restore Files: Hello and niceday to everyone. just joined this win10forum. I just finished upgrading from my win7 to this free win10Pro upgrade from microsoft, since yesterday everything works as normal and better than the previous win7. First thing I did after completing updates and...