Windows 10: Restoring Windows 10 PC from Seagate External Drive

Discus and support Restoring Windows 10 PC from Seagate External Drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just got my laptop back from having the fan replaced and the data has been wiped. I thought this wouldn't be an issue because I'd made a backup using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sprocket07, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Restoring Windows 10 PC from Seagate External Drive

I just got my laptop back from having the fan replaced and the data has been wiped. I thought this wouldn't be an issue because I'd made a backup using the Seagate dashboard program, but as it turns out, none of my programs will transfer over. I have my JPGs and other images, but all my games and software aren't working. In addition, the Seagate restore menu has an option to restore files to their original locations, but for some reason it's not working for me. I feel like in hindsight, I should have used the Windows 10 image backup (or whatever it's called, I don't recall), but it's too late for that Restoring Windows 10 PC from Seagate External Drive :p Anyway, does anyone have advice on how I can fix it? I think my local computer store can do a data transfer, but I'm wondering if there's another way. Thanks.

:)

sprocket07, Feb 15, 2017
  2. themtnerd Win User

Windows 10 Fall Creator Update Kills Seagate's Backup Plus External Hard Drive

What a coincidence...? Windows 10 Fall Creator updates Sunday/Monday. My Seagate Backup Plus external hard drive appears to have died - lights are on, engine is running but it's not accessible from my hard drive. (Yes, we looked at the Disk Management
    system.)

Happened to have a brand new Seagate Backup Plus external hard drive handy, so I restored from backup but also ordered a couple Western Digital drives (have one working on the system now), so I can then transfer the restored data to the WD drive. PC is
    on almost 24/7 for two days restoring the backup. Done Wednesday.

Contact Seagate about the initial hard drive problem. We reboot the PC a couple times, testing stuff out and the drive is declared dead. I've now got my Western Digital drives, getting ready to transfer the restored data because I'm not so sure about the
    reliability of the Seagate drive. NOW, the second Seagate Backup Plus external hard drive with the restored data won't work!! This is not right. Two drives die within days of the Windows 10 Fall Creator update? There may be a problem with the hardware
    but not like that.

We connect the hard drives to my husband's laptop which is running Windows 7 and VOILA! The drives are working.

How likely is it that, along with trashing the HP Laserjet 1200 driver and the Windows DVD player software on my laptop, Windows 10 Fall Creator has also trashed the driver for the Seagate Backup Plus external hard drive?

I told the tech at Seagate that she better run this up the flag pole fast or it's going to cost Seagate a pile of $$$ from the Seagate Backup Plus users who think their drives are dead and in need of data restoration. I hope she took me VERY, VERY SERIOUSLY.

Has Microsoft screwed up Seagate big time??

themtnerd, Feb 15, 2017
  3. Is widows 10 compatible with seagate freeagent external drives?

I am not able to access my seagate freeagent external hard drive with windows 10. I installed the Seagate software on my surface pro 3, I can see the Seagate drive in windows explorer. However, when I open the Seagate manager no external drive is shown.
    Is windows 10 compatible with Seagate external drive?

RyanPastore, Feb 15, 2017
  4. Steve C Win User

Restoring Windows 10 PC from Seagate External Drive

That's sad news - I would challenge your repairer why the data was wiped for a simple fan repair since there is no reason for this. Indeed, I would demand compensation since you have a lot of work to recover from this situation (see below)

I found the Dashboard guide here https://www.seagate.com/files/www-co...r-guide-us.pdf

Unfortunately, Dashboard is useless for system recovery since it doesn't backup your OS system files.

You will need to clean install Windows from scratch if you have no other system backup - see Windows 10 - Clean Install. You will then need to reinstall all your programs and restore your user files from Dashboard. Your data may be lost sadly if this doesn't work and you have no other backup.

In future I recommend you use a disk imaging program to backup your OS system files and user data like the excellent program Macrium Reflect Free. Use this to make regular backups to your external drive and preferably a second external drive so you have two backup drives in case one fails. I wouldn't bother with Dashboard since Reflect is far more capable.

Steve C, Feb 15, 2017
  5. midgo Win User
    Great suggestion.
    I use Macrium Reflect Free at home and at work.
    I have used it several times to restore my pc and laptop using Macrium image backups when my pc and laptop somehow:/// corrupted themselves.

midgo, Feb 15, 2017
  6. I've been using the system image backup in Windows for a long time without any problems. Although it does not provide the flexibility that Macrium does, I prefer it myself. I take a fresh system image about once a week after running sfc /scannow to ensure there aren't any corruption issues. If you want to retain multiple system images, then you need to rename the current one before initializing the system image process. I keep about three or four copies on a WD external hard drive.

TexasBandit, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Restoring Windows 10 PC from Seagate External Drive

1. Restoring Windows 10 PC from Seagate External Drive - Similar Threads - Restoring Seagate External

2. Windows 10 not recognizing Seagate 5TB external drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 not recognizing Seagate 5TB external drive: I bought a new 5TB Seagate external portable backup drive. Windows 10 would not recognize it. Windows 10 Device Manager could see and name the device, but when doing 'create and format' the disk, the screen went blank. It even froze the PC. Many other problems materialized...
  3. Seagate External Drives not Functioning in Windows 10

Seagate External Drives not Functioning in Windows 10: I've talked to Seagate ... they were useless ... and now I'm pleading with you to fix this issue of communication between Windows 10 and these external drives. I have THREE and them all disappearing over a month's time can't be a coincidence. I'm reading that I'm not the only...
  4. Seagate external drive is not always recognized in windows 10

Seagate external drive is not always recognized in windows 10: I have a Seagate FreeAgent Desktop external drive that doesn't stay recognized in Windows 10. I have to undo the power cord and the USB cord and hook it back up to get it to recognize it. Is there some setting I am missing or something else that can cause this?...
  5. seagate external drive not recognised in Windows 10

seagate external drive not recognised in Windows 10: Hi, my Seagate BUP Slim BK USB Device/external drive was corrupted yesterday when I connected it to my computer. This is the message I get when I try to connect it E:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. And when I try to have it scanned for...
  6. Windows 10 and Seagate External Hard Drive not connecting.

Windows 10 and Seagate External Hard Drive not connecting.: About two weeks ago my Windows 10 on PC stopped recognizing Seagrave external hard drive in usual USB port. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-and-seagate-external-hard-drive-not/388034a2-eb70-491d-86d1-4155a9160a33
  7. Windows 10 PC not recognising the external Seagate Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 PC not recognising the external Seagate Drive: i plug this seagate drive in a blut tooth external connection. But the PC doesnt recognise the drive.. it recognises other drives but not this one...
  8. Conflict Windows 10 and Seagate External Drive

Conflict Windows 10 and Seagate External Drive: I am at my wits end. Windows 10 will not recognize my Seagate Expansion External Drive. I need to obtain some data files on the exyernal drive, and have tried every remedy I could find online, without success. Does anyone have any recommendations?...
  9. Seagate 2tb external drive

Seagate 2tb external drive: Bought a new usb cord since it kept randomly disconnecting the drive. It shows up in device management and on disk drives yet it says it cant initialize and wont show how much memory has been used or is available in volumes I dont know what to do...
  10. Seagate External Drive Not Waking

Seagate External Drive Not Waking: I have a Seagate external drive that I save my backups to. I run my backup around midnight, when the computer has not been used for a good 5-6 hours. I have been getting errors with the backup that the drive has not been accessible and thus the backup is not successful....