Windows 10: Restoring Windows EFI files without wiping Linux EFI files

Discus and support Restoring Windows EFI files without wiping Linux EFI files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have recently re-installed Linux on my computer (I have a dual boot), and I have accidentally removed and recreated the EFI partition, so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AmitGold, Jun 30, 2019.

1. AmitGold Win User

Restoring Windows EFI files without wiping Linux EFI files

Hi,

I have recently re-installed Linux on my computer (I have a dual boot), and I have accidentally removed and recreated the EFI partition, so I can't boot into Windows.

I searchedsome tutorials, and I found this one which uses the `bcdboot` command to recreate to Windows EFI folder and files, but I'm afraid that it will wipe my Linux EFI files...

Will it wipe my Linux EFI files? What can I do to keep them?

Thanks!

:)

AmitGold, Jun 30, 2019

2. EFI partition delete issues and restoration

If I delete the EFI partition accidentally in Windows 10, how do I setup or manage or restore the EFI partition?

Kaushik Guha, Jun 30, 2019
  3. UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME after creating new EFI System Partition

Hello,

On my laptop (Acer Swift 3) I dual boot Windows 10 (stock Windows, not Acer's version) and Arch Linux, recently I ran out of space on my EFI System Partition (ESP) while trying to install a different Linux kernel, so I copied out all of the files on the
    ESP, created a new, bigger one and copied all of the files back on. After removing and re-adding the boot options using the EFI shell, Linux booted fine (from rEFInd) but Windows no longer boots - every time it blue screens with UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. I
    have already tried:

• deleting /boot/EFI/Microsoft and /boot/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi, then running `bcdboot /l en-gb /s s: /f UEFI` from a recovery disk - same problem
    • running various `bootrec` commands, some said "Access Denied" (what???) and some claimed there are no valid Windows partitions even though one is mounted at C:
    • Startup Repair - did not find any problems
    • reinstalling Windows - the installer says it will reboot and continue afterwards, when it reboots it dumps me at the main installer menu, without having made any progress
    • looking at EFI NVRAM variables - it is impossible to tell which of these actually affect the Windows boot manager
    • `sfc /scannow` - it was a shot in the dark and lo and behold it did nothing
    Any help getting Windows to boot again will be greatly appreciated.

TommyHudson1, Jun 30, 2019
  4. btarunr Win User

MSI's First EFI BIOS, More Now Available

MSI has launched the first EFI BIOS based motherboard "P45D3 Platinum & P45 Platinum". EFI, Extensible Firmware Interface, is intended to replace the legacy BIOS firmware interface used by current PCs. It offers a new and more flexible enviroment that supports colorful graphical interfaces, multiple languages and has mouse support. The EFI BIOS will encourage users to experience the full potential of MSI motherboards. Even at this early stage MSI has seen excellent OC potential using the current generation of MSI motherboards in combination with EFI BIOS.

New Type of Graphics BIOS Settings

MSI has started to adapt EFI into its next generation motherboard platform. The ability to use a GUI and mouse provides the opportunity to fully experience the possibilities of MSI motherboards. EFI also supports LAN, pre-OS applications such as live update, games, instant messenger, media player and a browser. Microsoft will add EFI support to the x64 versions of Windows Vista with Service Pack 1.

What is EFI BIOS?

The Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) is a specification that defines a software interface between an operating system and platform firmware. EFI is intended as a significantly improved replacement of the old legacy BIOS firmware interface historically used by all IBM PC compatible PCs. The EFI specification was originally developed by Intel, and is now managed by the Unified EFI Forum and is officially known as Unified EFI (UEFI).

Benefits of EFI BIOS:
    • Supports graphical menus and features
    • Supports mouse-controlled interface
    • Supports pre-OS applications, file oriented (ex: System
    • recovery, games, media player, Internet browser, etc.)
    • Supports multiple languages
    • UEFI support for x64 versions of Windows Vista are included in Service Pack 1
    To find out more and download MSI Click BIOS for you P45 Platinum based motherboard, visit this page!

Source: MSI

btarunr, Jun 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Restoring Windows EFI files without wiping Linux EFI files - Similar Threads - Restoring EFI files

2. efi and esp files missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    efi and esp files missing: so, I am running a dual boot configuration on a steam deck, after having a corrupt steam install i reinstalled steam and found that windows 11 efi and esp files are missing from their drives, while the partition for windows is completely safe and secure, i would highly prefer...
  3. efi and esp files missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    efi and esp files missing: so, I am running a dual boot configuration on a steam deck, after having a corrupt steam install i reinstalled steam and found that windows 11 efi and esp files are missing from their drives, while the partition for windows is completely safe and secure, i would highly prefer...
  4. Restoring efi SYSTEM partition

Restoring efi SYSTEM partition: Currently if I restore only one partition at a time with Acronis the efi SYSTEM partition is missing some data, side note restoring whole drive works however.But my question is:If I used bcdedit /export c:\bcd.bak first and latter on a blank formatted 260MB formatted fat32...
  5. Showing efi\boot\bootx64.efi file not found.. what's the issue..?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Showing efi\boot\bootx64.efi file not found.. what's the issue..?: I have created bootable media with GPT mode.My previous version of Windows is Windows 7, which is corrupted. And when I wanted to install windows 10, after selecting the media the error is showing like:- efi\boot\bootx64.efi' 14 file not found.. kindly help...
  6. Showing efi\boot\bootx64.efi file not found.. what's the issue..?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Showing efi\boot\bootx64.efi file not found.. what's the issue..?: I have created bootable media with GPT mode.My previous version of Windows is Windows 7, which is corrupted. And when I wanted to install windows 10, after selecting the media the error is showing like:- efi\boot\bootx64.efi' 14 file not found.. kindly help...
  7. Showing efi\boot\bootx64.efi file not found.. what's the issue..?

8. Recovering Windows from EFI file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering Windows from EFI file: For a few days I have not been able to access my laptop with Windows 10. It all happened after a hard reboot I did because it was unresponsive, after which it started a disk checkup which I couldn't skip.After a few more hard reboots and me allowing the disk checkup to...
  9. Recovering Windows from EFI file

Recovering Windows from EFI file: For a few days I have not been able to access my laptop with Windows 10. It all happened after a hard reboot I did because it was unresponsive, after which it started a disk checkup which I couldn't skip.After a few more hard reboots and me allowing the disk checkup to...
  10. Recovering Windows from EFI file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Recovering Windows from EFI file: For a few days I have not been able to access my PC with Windows 10. It all happened after a hard reboot I did because it was unresponsive, after which it started a disk checkup which I couldn't skip.After a few more hard reboots and me allowing the disk checkup to continue,...