Windows 10: Restoring Windows PC with a failed SSD boot drive

Discus and support Restoring Windows PC with a failed SSD boot drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; How do I rescue a PC with a failed SSD boot drive. Windows 10 Pro was the System and PC comes up in BIOS. Have the original Disk. Supplier gone out of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ZH_505, Sep 25, 2018.

1. ZH_505 Win User

Restoring Windows PC with a failed SSD boot drive

How do I rescue a PC with a failed SSD boot drive. Windows 10 Pro was the System and PC comes up in BIOS. Have the original Disk. Supplier gone out of business just before it happened.

:)

ZH_505, Sep 25, 2018
  2. topgundcp Win User

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Sep 25, 2018
  3. SSD as Boot Drive? How?

Well, I have Windows installed on the SSD, along with the drivers and browser. Now, I'm trying to install other stuff (Steam, games, etc.), but the mechanical drive isn't showing. I'm sure I missed a step?

Chosen Juan, Sep 25, 2018
  4. Restoring Windows PC with a failed SSD boot drive

Win 10, no boot, no safe mode, no system restore, Status_Wait_3 error, 0x80070003 , bootrec commands successful, but still no boot, what else?

Agreed. Don't know where that "windows.old" is coming from. I only have the one SSD drive currently attached to the PC, which should hold my one Windows 10 installation. I thought perhaps the second installation was referring to the ISO on the USB drive?
    Anyhow, I chose the "All" option at the "Add installation to boot list prompt" and then proceeded to try another system restore, which ultimately failed at the restore registry step.

Alan in Viriginia, Sep 25, 2018
Thema:

Restoring Windows PC with a failed SSD boot drive

1. Restoring Windows PC with a failed SSD boot drive - Similar Threads - Restoring failed SSD

2. System Restore Failing and Windows not booting up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore Failing and Windows not booting up: Hi,I tried updating my display driver AMD Radeon and it crashed at 97%. So I force shut it down and my laptop Dell enter the login screen. The screen is just blank after the Dell screen. I tried System Restore from the recovery options and none of the recovery points work....
  3. Desktop PC - Replacing a failed SSD Drive - Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop PC - Replacing a failed SSD Drive - Windows 10: Hi, The SSD drive on a desktop PC has failed which was the boot drive with Windows 10. Currently the PC will boot to the ASUS EZ-mode bios utility. It see's the other hard drive which was has files and games plus the DVD/CD drive. If I replace the SSD drive, how doI load...
  4. PC changed drive c to drive g on my SSD = no boot drive = no booting up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PC changed drive c to drive g on my SSD = no boot drive = no booting up.: I did something very stupid and had to check every component on my PC to find out what was defective. Turns out the MB battery was dead as a doornail! Replaced it. I had been trying "fix startup problems", "restore", "recover", etc. from a rescue disk. Nothing would work. In...
  5. Pc Failing to Boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc Failing to Boot: My Pc froze then crashed yesterday, when I tried to restart it the Preparing Automatic Repair page comes up but nothing happened even tried leaving it for a few hours. I then tried to get it to Boot via the Boot menu {F8} with Win10 Media Creation Tool on a USB, this results...
  6. Cloned/Restored SSD won't boot

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned/Restored SSD won't boot: Hi, I wanted to migrate entirely from my current boot drive (Samsung 950 EVO m.2 256 GB) to a newly purchased drive that I want to use a my boot drive (Samsung 980 PRO m.2 1TB) I first tried cloning with Macrium Reflect, not realizing the destination drive needed to be...
  7. Upgrading Windows 10 PC with an SSD boot drive

Upgrading Windows 10 PC with an SSD boot drive: I want to upgrade my desktop computer with a 1TB SSD Drive to increase performance. BUT, I do NOT want to have reinstall EVERYTHING and do it from scratch. I have PC Mover to do that with, but the target SSD drive has to be set up with Windows 10 before I can do the move. As...
  8. failed ssd c drive

failed ssd c drive: I installed a new video card and when I went to boot my system up I could not, ssd c drive had failed to boot. I tried a boot recovery disk, I tried laying a new version of windows 10, nothing worked. Can I create a disk image from my failed ssd drive and how?...
  9. Windows restore failed and PC won't boot

Windows restore failed and PC won't boot: Hi, I have just come back from a two week holiday and booted up my PC at which point it downloaded a new Windows update, so naturally I rebooted to complete the update installation. Upon rebooting and completed installation, a lot of my programs stopped working, wouldn't...
  10. SSD boot drive corrupted after Oct 10 failed update

SSD boot drive corrupted after Oct 10 failed update: Yes my ssd boot sector is no longer recognized after Oct 10 2018 failed update. Windows 10 Pro. Samsung 680 evo 500GB will no longer boot. I can use the drive as a storage drive still works like that. It is formatted in dynamic mode sectors and no provisioning (Ack)...