Windows 10: Restoring windowsapps from eternal hard drive

Discus and support Restoring windowsapps from eternal hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Before formating my pc I backed uped forza horizon 4 ultimate edition 93GB by going to settings/apps move and then choosing my external hard drive. Now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by III III, Jun 4, 2021.

1. III III Win User

Restoring windowsapps from eternal hard drive

Before formating my pc I backed uped forza horizon 4 ultimate edition 93GB by going to settings/apps move and then choosing my external hard drive. Now after the windows reinstall, windows doesn't recognize the apps stored on my external hard drive "we couldn't find anything to show here. Double check your search criteria". How can I restore my apps from my external hard drive? Really not in the mood to redownload 93GB. Windows doesnt allow me to copy the apps inside the windoesapps from my external hard drive to my main drive either.

:)

III III, Jun 4, 2021
  2. sumasage Win User

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Jun 4, 2021
  3. Free hard drive backup/restore program?

Obviously you're looking for something besides your Xp Pro utility that does this?

thoughtdisorder, Jun 4, 2021
  4. glivo Win User

System Restore fails: AppxStaging %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApp 0x80070091

Steps taken.
    Part 1/
    Install W10. User -Test (No additional updates. No OEM drivers)
    Create Restore Point -"Pristine"
    Make a system alteration. ie; D/L and Install Google Chrome.
    System Restore to RP "Pristine". (Note: Chrome should be gone.)
    Successful. Chrome is gone and Edge reset. ??? Chromesetup file removed from \downloads??? Why???
    New Restore Point - "Undo Restore" created by system.

Step 2/
    D/L and install KB3213986. Reboot.
    Make a system alteration. ie; D/L and Install Google Chrome.
    Create Restore Point - "Update 1 Chrome"
    Make a system alteration. Uninstall Chrome.
    System Restore. (Note: Chrome should come back but may not work correctly.)
    Fail. 0x80070091

To me that represents a conclusive result.

The next obvious thing to do was to roll back the Update, assuming that this will fix System Restore. However, rolling back the Update DID NOT restore the functionality of System Restore. So now my confident claim, above, is a bit shaky. If performing the update does in fact cause the issue, removing it doesn't put it right.

So now, the next obvious thing is to perform the WindowsApps rename or deletion process, to apply the fix, and run a series of testing to see if System Restore becomes stable.

Results.
    Performing the WindowsApps rename fix, instead of deleting it this time, once again resulted in System Restore operating correctly. I have been able to install the remaining updates and flip back and forth between Restore Points without issue.

At this point I am done with it. My testing shows that:
    • It is update KB3213986 that causes the problem to occur in the first instance.
    • Rolling back the update does not correct the problem.
    • Performing the known fix returns System Restore functionality.
    • For how long, we don't yet know.

Should you wish to rename the WindowsApps directory rather than delete it, the attrib WindowsApps -h command line can only be performed after the icacls command line.

glivo, Jun 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Restoring windowsapps from eternal hard drive - Similar Threads - Restoring windowsapps eternal

2. Deleting WindowsApps Folder from an external Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting WindowsApps Folder from an external Hard Drive: HelloI have been unable to find the answer to this questionI have and external hard drive that I used to use with a Windows 10 laptop, I recently got a windows 11 desktop and I was trying to clean some stuff off of the External HD and noticed that it has a WindowsApps folder...
  3. Deleting WindowsApps Folder from an external Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting WindowsApps Folder from an external Hard Drive: HelloI have been unable to find the answer to this questionI have and external hard drive that I used to use with a Windows 10 laptop, I recently got a windows 11 desktop and I was trying to clean some stuff off of the External HD and noticed that it has a WindowsApps folder...
  4. Restore from Backup on External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore from Backup on External Hard Drive: I had to send my laptop to get repaired, so I backed up my laptop onto an external hard drive. I have gotten my laptop back, and as expected, everything is gone. I am trying to restore from my backup, but it does not seem to be working. I created the backup with Windows 10,...
  5. Eternal Hard drive storage changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Eternal Hard drive storage changed: I have a seagate 2TB external hard drive. I downloaded a windows installer to try and get my old laptop working it didnt so i removed it and plugged it back to my pc to remove the installer and stuff but now it says its max compacity is 32GB instead of the original 2TB how...
  6. Restoring Files From An External Hard Drive

Restoring Files From An External Hard Drive: So I had to send in my previous laptop for repair and backed up my critical files and programs prior to sending it off. Glad I did so, since the folks doing the repairs, totally borked it. I got my warranty refund and purchased a new laptop. Problems have arisen though, in...
  7. Restore System Image From External Hard Drive

Restore System Image From External Hard Drive: Ok, so here's the situation... I'll start out with the fact that I'm somewhat tech savvy. I'm 36, and have been working on computers since I was 6. I taught myself BASIC at 10. I'm no expert, but I'm not your average user. I normally search for my solutions on the internet,...
  8. restore hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    restore hard drive: How do I re-format the hard drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-hard-drive/d3ced27f-d6e8-419f-9b29-45fbf00daa8f
  9. Restoring from external hard drive

Restoring from external hard drive: My old laptop became non-functional (bad motherboard), so I uninstalled my SSD hard drive and have been using it as an external hard drive. Now, I would like to install everything on this external hard drive including the OS and files onto a new laptop. How can I do this?...
  10. New Seagate Eternal Hard drive not showing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New Seagate Eternal Hard drive not showing in Windows 10: http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/externa...on-hard-drive/ New Seagate Eternal Hard drive not showing in Windows 10. I never formatted it but I did copy it's files on to c drive the application only asks for you to register it. I went to clone my disk restarted and failed now I...