Windows 10: Restrict access to a drive

Discus and support Restrict access to a drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, My PC use to be solely mine, and now others will be able to use it soon, in preparation for that, I am trying to restrict access to a certain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tman3000, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Tman3000 Win User

Restrict access to a drive

Hi all,

My PC use to be solely mine, and now others will be able to use it soon, in preparation for that, I am trying to restrict access to a certain drive so that i can only access it! I have tried a google search and nothing came up for anything remotely close without encrypting, i was wondering if there was a way around like setting permissions Tried, no success, might be due to the users having microsoft accounts. If anyone is able to help that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

:)

Tman3000, Feb 24, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Unable to set restriction for local user in Windows 10

Hi,

I realized your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

• How did you noticed that user is still able to access the drive?

• Did you log into the local user account and check the permission?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below to restrict the user.

• In File Explorer, right click on the drive which you want to restrict.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Click on Edit to change the permissions.
    • Uncheck all the permission for system.
    • Click OK and make sure the change is applied to all subfolders and files.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

Arun B J, Feb 24, 2020
  3. Restrict Network Drive Access to User

Hi Beach,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there network discovery option is enabled on the computer.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• When you say that "kids have a local account", is the child account configured as standard user account on the computer?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to hide the network discovery of the computer in the shared network.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Type "HomeGroup" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Then click on Change Advanced sharing settings.

4. Expand Private.

5. Turn off network discovery.

5. Expand Guest or Public.

6. Then turn off network discovery
    option.

7. Click on Save changes button.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with restricting network drives to the child account, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Feb 24, 2020
  4. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

Thema:

1. Restrict access to a drive - Similar Threads - Restrict access drive

2. Restrict another admin from accessing a drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restrict another admin from accessing a drive: Hi, I need to hide my drive D from another administrator on my PC, so they can't open it.I think it's done from the permissions settings, but I don't wanna mess anything up. Can anyone provide me with a step-by-step tutorial? Thank youI'm using Windows 10 pro - 21H2...
  3. Restrict another admin from accessing a drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restrict another admin from accessing a drive: Hi, I need to hide my drive D from another administrator on my PC, so they can't open it.I think it's done from the permissions settings, but I don't wanna mess anything up. Can anyone provide me with a step-by-step tutorial? Thank youI'm using Windows 10 pro - 21H2...
  4. Restrict another admin from accessing a drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. restrict local account access to external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    restrict local account access to external drive: If I, as administrative account holder, access an external drive by using the BitLocker code, will another user of the PC, with a standard local account, also be able to access the contents of this external drive? Or will this other user also need to enter the Bitlocker code...
  6. restrict local account access to external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    restrict local account access to external drive: If I, as administrative account holder, access an external drive by using the BitLocker code, will another user of the PC, with a standard local account, also be able to access the contents of this external drive? Or will this other user also need to enter the Bitlocker code...
  7. restrict local account access to external drive

8. Restricting user access to a drive on my PC

Restricting user access to a drive on my PC: I have multiple users that log in to a single Win 10 PC and on that PC there is a drive E: that I'd like to give access to some users Jim and Joe and restrict access to others Mike and Mary. All users log in using their Microsoft accounts for authentication e.g. no guest...
  9. Granting access to games that are on a restricted drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Granting access to games that are on a restricted drive.: Hello, I am struggling to set up an account for my girlfriend with the right permissions. I created an account for her on my windows 10 machine, and under security settings removed all permissions. I don't want her accessing D: Drive. However, all my games such as Sims 4...
  10. Restrict Access to Drive C

Restrict Access to Drive C: Hello! I bought a laptop for my 8y/o son for his online schooling. I have Windows 10 Home and I added him as Family account. I'd like to restrict his access to Drive C where Windows is installed but still be able to use apps that he needs for school that are also...