Windows 10: Restrict Access to Drive C

Discus and support Restrict Access to Drive C in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello! I bought a laptop for my 8y/o son for his online schooling. I have Windows 10 Home and I added him as Family account. I'd like to restrict... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by xTiNx, Jul 1, 2020.

1. xTiNx Win User

Restrict Access to Drive C

Hello!

I bought a laptop for my 8y/o son for his online schooling. I have Windows 10 Home and I added him as Family account.

I'd like to restrict his access to Drive C where Windows is installed but still be able to use apps that he needs for school that are also installed in Drive C, e.g. Word

I just don't want him to make changes or whatever to C Drive. I transferred his user folder to another drive.

Windows 10 Home doesn't have gpedit.msc so I can't do that. I also tried to enable the gpedit by running a .bat file that I downloaded somewhere. But even if it's enabled, it doesn't work.

Editing the registry also affects myselfAdministrstor account - I can't open Drive C. Windows also doesn't allow me to edit Permissions for Drive C Properties > Security.

I've been googling but nothing worked for me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

:)

xTiNx, Jul 1, 2020
  2. RajuRanju Win User

To restrict access to C drive in windows 10

Hi, I want to restrict access to some folders in C drive. How to do the same. And please let me know if any third party application ?? And how to use bitlocker.

RajuRanju, Jul 1, 2020
  3. Paola Gar Win User
    c-drive not accessible, access denied

Hi,

To better understand the issue, we'd like to get the following information:

• How are you trying to access (CRestrict Access to Drive C :) Drive?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • If possible, kindly send us a screenshot of the complete error message you're getting.

Looking forward to your response.

Paola Gar, Jul 1, 2020
  4. Restrict Access to Drive C

The C: drive is still accessible, even though it is restricted via group policy

Hi All,

I have a strange issue. I have a GPO configured that restricts access to the C:\.

It hides the drive from the user within File Explorer, and you cannot search for the drive from within File Explorer Search. It errors to say that the drive is restricted, which is correct.

However, if you use the Cortana Search box in the Windows Taskbar, you can search and open C: and access the files within.

We have the "Hide these specified drives in My Computer" policy option set to "Pick one of the following combinations: Restrict C drive only".

Thanks

Graham

Graham Hodgetts, Jul 1, 2020
Thema:

Restrict Access to Drive C

1. Restrict Access to Drive C - Similar Threads - Restrict Access Drive

2. No access to C: Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No access to C: Drive: So essentially, I was tryna give access to a file, and I messed with security permissions which ended up making me lose access to my hard drive altogether. I've tried reinstalling Windows completely, using cmd prompt, reinstalling Windows 10, and then upgrading to Windows 11...
  3. No access to C: Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No access to C: Drive: So essentially, I was tryna give access to a file, and I messed with security permissions which ended up making me lose access to my hard drive altogether. I've tried reinstalling Windows completely, using cmd prompt, reinstalling Windows 10, and then upgrading to Windows 11...
  4. Problems with c drive restrictions.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problems with c drive restrictions.: I was doing everything as usual until one day I got a problem. For some reason half of my games couldn't be saved others wouldn't be even able to launch. I found out that this is happening because they cant use documents folder which means that they are blocked by computer...
  5. Restricting user access to a drive on my PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restricting user access to a drive on my PC: I have multiple users that log in to a single Win 10 PC and on that PC there is a drive E: that I'd like to give access to some users Jim and Joe and restrict access to others Mike and Mary. All users log in using their Microsoft accounts for authentication e.g. no guest...
  6. Granting access to games that are on a restricted drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Granting access to games that are on a restricted drive.: Hello, I am struggling to set up an account for my girlfriend with the right permissions. I created an account for her on my windows 10 machine, and under security settings removed all permissions. I don't want her accessing D: Drive. However, all my games such as Sims 4...
  7. No Access to C Drive

No Access to C Drive: I'm not good with computers so I need help with a permissions problem on my C Drive. I wiped my laptop recently and tried to add a folder on my C Drive and tried to change it from a read-only file but it wouldn't let me. I tried following a few guides to give myself C Drive...
  8. Restrict access to a drive

Restrict access to a drive: Hi all, My PC use to be solely mine, and now others will be able to use it soon, in preparation for that, I am trying to restrict access to a certain drive so that i can only access it! I have tried a google search and nothing came up for anything remotely close without...
  9. No access to C Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No access to C Drive: Split from this thread. You think you have problems? My "c" Drive has not worked or giving me access to it, as a result of the Windows download or upload to help in my "Windows Experience", I have not...that's NOT received any upgrades for security, version updates, apps,...
  10. C Drive not accessible

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    C Drive not accessible: Hi. Windows 10 is installed in C drive. By mistake i changed the security settings and now neither i can access it nor i can install anything on it. I've attached few of the pictures. If you can help me in solving this issue i'll be really thankful to you. Thanks,...