Windows 10: restrict taskbar search to local computer, disable WEB

Discus and support restrict taskbar search to local computer, disable WEB in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have enabled the search bar in Windows 10 1903. I wonder if this is possible to restrict this search bar to the local computer and completely disable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Olive, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Olive Win User

restrict taskbar search to local computer, disable WEB

I have enabled the search bar in Windows 10 1903. I wonder if this is possible to restrict this search bar to the local computer and completely disable web searches. This web search launch Edge with Bing despite the fact that edge is not my default browser and bing not my default search engine.As I have the pro edition, I have already tried to play with the group policy editor but no option seems to effectively disable this; though some options seems to claims it. There are indeed options that claim to disable "web search" but web search in the taskbar remains active even after having enabled these options!

:)

Olive, Oct 18, 2019
  2. Eric Ber Win User

Disable Web Search when I hit Windows Key to Search my Computer

Hi Larry,

To be able to disable the Web Search when using the searchbox, you need to turn off Cortana. The searchbox will now say "Search Windows" instead of "Ask me anything." It will be more responsive and only show results from your hard drive or local network. To
    do this, you can follow the steps below:

• Login to Windows 10 computer with your Microsoft account.
    • Click on Cortana search bar.
    • In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    • Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    • Then turn off Cortana option.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Oct 18, 2019
  3. Disable Web Search Results in Windows 10 Start Menu

Hi Taira,

Disabling web results in the search box depends on the version and build of your Windows 10. We suggest checking the Windows 10 version and build installed on your computer. To check the version and build, follow the steps below:

• On Cortana search, type winver and press
      Enter
    • A pop-up box will appear containing the version and build of your operating system.

Meanwhile, you can try these steps on how to disable web results in the search box:

• Click the search box in the taskbar.
    • Select the Notebook icon
      restrict taskbar search to local computer, disable WEB a0c1fa7c-1198-4621-a19b-ece827a34a33.png

in the left pane.
    • Click Settings from the list.
    • In the Settings page, turn off the Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option.
    • Also, turn off the Search online and include web results option.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out.

Gerard Qui, Oct 18, 2019
  4. Carlo Fer Win User

Disable Store and Web search in Start Menu

Hello
    SystemSupport346,

Since the steps above did not work for you, we suggest that you disable web search by navigating the settings of Cortana itself. Please follow the steps below:

• Open the search box in the taskbar.
    • Click the Notebook icon.
    • Click Settings from the list.
    • On the Settings page, turn off the Cortana can give me suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option.
    • Turn off the Search online and include web results. See screenshot below:

restrict taskbar search to local computer, disable WEB 4b6583c8-efc0-4f9f-a9a0-4ce531f271db?upload=true.png

Hope this information helps you. Feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

Carlo Fer, Oct 18, 2019
Thema:

1. restrict taskbar search to local computer, disable WEB - Similar Threads - restrict taskbar search

2. Exclude web from local searches?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Exclude web from local searches?: When I search for "sourdough" in the lower left field next to the Windows button, I'm hoping to get results of documents or images with the keyword "sourdough" in the title or contents. Instead, most of the results are web pages about sourdough. Can I configure the Windows...
  3. Disable Start Menu Web Search?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable Start Menu Web Search?: What's the current way to disable the web search? Preferably without editing the registry submitted by /u/HeyLittleMonkey [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k8ptap/disable_start_menu_web_search/
  4. Re disable web search

in Windows 10 Customization
    Re disable web search: The system updated to the new 2020 update and re-enabled web search. The previous ways to disable it do not work. How do you disable it again. Being told that it isn't an option isn't an answer or solution....
  5. Web search in taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Web search in taskbar: I used to do the web search in the taskbar to make it easier for me to find things on the web. Lately, I have noticed that searching the taskbar only shows the results from my PC and files, but nothing form the web. I can't even see an option that says find more information...
  6. Disable web searches in Start menu

in Cortana
    Disable web searches in Start menu: I need to be able to disable web searches in the Start menu. We have several Windows 10 laptops that we use to administer exams, and obviously we cannot have students able to search the internet during their exams. Having no way to disable this feature makes these laptops...
  7. Disable web results in search

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disable web results in search: What am I missing here to stop getting web results when searching for stuff on my PC? Enabling "Do not allow web search" does....nothing..... [img] [img] 120609
  8. How to disable cortanas web search?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable cortanas web search?: I just reinstalled and theres no option in her settings to turn off the web search she does when you search for files on your pc and such. How else could I turn it off if its not listed in her settings? 24449
  9. Re-enabling local file search in taskbar with Cortana disabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Re-enabling local file search in taskbar with Cortana disabled: Hello! If I disable websearch in the taskbar by setting the key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search\ConnectedSearchUseWeb to 0 and/or I disable Cortana completely either by setting the key...
  10. disable web search

in Windows 10 Support
    disable web search: On the start menu I do not like that 10 is searching the web for results. I've found the entries in group policy as shown below but that doesn't work.*Mad How do I disable web search from the start menu. Disable web results in Windows 10 search - Microsoft Beta - Neowin...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. search online and include web results missing