Windows 10: Restricting Networking Access

Discus and support Restricting Networking Access in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two Pcs let A & B. Both are connected through LAN and both are having Windows 10 installed. In both the computer there are two accounts viz.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SUDIPTASINHA, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Restricting Networking Access

I have two Pcs let A & B. Both are connected through LAN and both are having Windows 10 installed. In both the computer there are two accounts viz. Administrator and Guest. I have restricted the access of Guests in Administrator Account. Now I want to restrict the access of Guests of Computer A to the files of Computer B via network and vice versa. The drives of both the computers are shared to everyone. How can I restrict the access of other computer's guest account? Please help.

:)

SUDIPTASINHA, Apr 14, 2019

2. Restrict Network Drive Access to User

Hi Beach,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there network discovery option is enabled on the computer.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• When you say that "kids have a local account", is the child account configured as standard user account on the computer?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to hide the network discovery of the computer in the shared network.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Type "HomeGroup" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Then click on Change Advanced sharing settings.

4. Expand Private.

5. Turn off network discovery.

5. Expand Guest or Public.

6. Then turn off network discovery
    option.

7. Click on Save changes button.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with restricting network drives to the child account, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Apr 14, 2019
  3. Restricting Access to Folders on a network

Hi. We have a Windows Home Server 2011 with a network share, and 4 laptops attached to this. We use a backup system on the server - Cloudberry backup to Amazon S3, and I want to restrict access to a certain folder (and all sub folders) on the network so
    that only one particular user and the server/backup system can access it. However, whenever I try to restrict access, it restricts it on the server as well, which means the backup fails. I have tried using ICACLS on the command prompt, but that didn't seem
    to work across all the subfolders within - there are quite a lot of folders within folders, so could that be the problem? I am not an IT expert by any stretch of the imagination, so if anyone could provide me with an idiots guide of how to do this, that would
    be much appreciated!

Thanks

VickiMerriman, Apr 14, 2019
  4. taward Win User

Restricting Networking Access

One computer cannot access other network computers.

So I've tried every troubleshooting step I know:
    • Double checked that Net Bios was enabled
    • Ran a bunch of network commands:
      • flushed DNS
      • registered dns
      • pinged and located the named computers successfully
    • Reset my router to factory settings

Nothing works when I try to access via explorer. I'm still baffled by the fact that every other computer can access each other AND access this computer. It's just the outgoing connection from this machine that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

taward, Apr 14, 2019
Thema:

Restricting Networking Access

1. Restricting Networking Access - Similar Threads - Restricting Networking Access

2. Restrict Software access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restrict Software access: I have a problem i cannot seem to find the answer for.I'm using my computer for my business. On it, I have sensitive data via Dropbox that I don't want my employees to have access to. So I'm going to set up a new user account. But in my experience, when I set up a new user...
  3. Restrict Software access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restrict Software access: I have a problem i cannot seem to find the answer for.I'm using my computer for my business. On it, I have sensitive data via Dropbox that I don't want my employees to have access to. So I'm going to set up a new user account. But in my experience, when I set up a new user...
  4. Mobile hotspot restricting network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mobile hotspot restricting network: I am a windows 11 user. This issue only started recently, where whenever I switch on mobile hotspot in my laptop, I am able to use the network in the device I'm connected to, but except for some websitesgoogle and youtube as far as I've seen, webpages and apps that use a...
  5. Mobile hotspot restricting network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mobile hotspot restricting network: I am a windows 11 user. This issue only started recently, where whenever I switch on mobile hotspot in my laptop, I am able to use the network in the device I'm connected to, but except for some websitesgoogle and youtube as far as I've seen, webpages and apps that use a...
  6. Restricting Network Access on Win10/Linux Dual Boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restricting Network Access on Win10/Linux Dual Boot: Hello,I Am Ketan Mehta Owner Of Petromet Inc I have a PC with Windows 10 and Kubuntu Linux dual boot.The machine is connected to my DSL router via LAN cable. No Wifi hardware installed.I like Windows to have no internet connection at all. Linux should be able to connect...
  7. Restricting Sharing of Networked Files

Restricting Sharing of Networked Files: I have two computers, Computer A and Computer B. Both are Win10 Pro. They are on the same LAN. Each has multiple users. I do not allow identical userids on different systems. A recent ransomware incursion used identical IDs to access multiple machines. I want to share...
  8. Home working - Restrict network access to PC

Home working - Restrict network access to PC: Hi I've got a site to site VPN used to connect me with the office which is done via my router. This has a rule set to route traffic to one PC. How do ensure that no one in the office is able to log into my pc or access any shares on my PC ? The VPN is only for me to access...
  9. Windows 10 Network. Selective access restriction query

Windows 10 Network. Selective access restriction query: I have a small Windows 10 network consisting of five good spec PC’s on a peer-to-peer network. All PC’s have their own primary software applications but data from all workstations are saved to a shared folder on a shared secondary hard drive on one of the PC’s (which also...
  10. Restrict access to a drive

Restrict access to a drive: Hi all, My PC use to be solely mine, and now others will be able to use it soon, in preparation for that, I am trying to restrict access to a certain drive so that i can only access it! I have tried a google search and nothing came up for anything remotely close without...