Windows 10: Restricting Standard User Ability to Install/Uninstall apps

Discus and support Restricting Standard User Ability to Install/Uninstall apps in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I set up an account for my kids on a new laptop about 6 months ago. When I did this, I made sure they were a standard user and needed my permission to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Antipants, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Antipants Win User

Restricting Standard User Ability to Install/Uninstall apps

I set up an account for my kids on a new laptop about 6 months ago. When I did this, I made sure they were a standard user and needed my permission to install or uninstall apps. This worked well until the end of December 2020. I just noticed that there were new apps my kids installed, mostly games, without my knowledge or consent. When I went to review the settings, there is no option to limit what they can do. The only option I see that could remotely be helpful is asking me to sign in to my microsoft account, add them/give them microsoft accounts, and then I can make these choices. I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO DO THIS. Why can't I just limit their options like I did when I first bought the computer? I hate Apple but if this is what Microsoft has come to I'm seriously considering switching.

:)

Antipants, Feb 11, 2021

2. Need some restriction of my standard user in my PC

The easiest way to restrict a standard user from accessing the files of another user account is by ensuring that the files are saved to the
    C:\Users\<AdministratorUsername> folder or the %userprofiles% folder. If a standard user attempts to access the files from the said folder, by default, it would instantly prompt for the administrator's credentials in order
    to access it.

If you wish to put restrictions on a specific file, you may follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the specific file and choose Properties.
    • Choose Security tab.
    • Click Edit.
    • Choose Add.
    • Type the username, click Check Name and then, hit
      OK.
    • You can now manage the restrictions for the user profile, under Permissions for <username>.
    If you wanted to set a restriction on the Local Drive, follow these steps:

• Double-click This PC.
    • Right-click on Local Disk (CRestricting Standard User Ability to Install/Uninstall apps :).
    • Choose Properties.
    • Select Security tab.
    • Click Edit.
    • Choose Add.
    • Type the username, click Check Name and then, hit OK.
    • Set the level of restriction for the said drive.
    Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Feb 11, 2021
  3. Windows 10 self installing apps I have uninstalled!

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps:

Step 1: I suggest you to end the task in task manager.

• Go to task bar

• Right click on task bar

• Select task manager

• Click on apps and end the task.
    Step 2: Go to appwiz.cpl and locate to the apps, right click on apps and uninstall apps.

If the issue persists I suggest you to create new user account and check if it helps.

Step 3: You may check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

• Go to Settings.

• Choose Accounts
      and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.

• Select Add an Account.

• Enter a user name and hit Next.

• Click on Finish.

• Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.

• Check if issue persists.
    Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Feb 11, 2021
  4. Mark0 Win User

Completely uninstall provisioned apps: how-to and detailed explanation

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. In step 1 I suggest to create ONE user only. I see you start with 2 users.
    I suggested so because I see the error after the app has been uninstalled for that user and it is reverted to Staged state, i.e. it is still there, but not installed to any user. At that point option 6 fails for me. When you try option 6, I see the app is still installed for the second account.

Mark0, Feb 11, 2021
Thema:

1. Restricting Standard User Ability to Install/Uninstall apps - Similar Threads - Restricting Standard User

2. How to install programs on a standard user?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to install programs on a standard user?: I was always using admin account but I've heard that it's not a recommended way to use system for security reasons. So I did a fresh Windows 10 install and created an additional standard user. And I encounter many problems: Some programs that I install on a standard user,...
  3. I uninstalled the touchscreen ability

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I uninstalled the touchscreen ability: I was playing sims and the touch screen ability was messing with my playing, so i googled up how to turn it off, and I guess I ended up uninstalling it instead. For some reason, I didn't think I wasn't going to be able to get it back, but it seems like the case....
  4. standard user

in Windows 10 Customization
    standard user: see attachments. when i view my account settings i see that i'm an administrator, but when use control panel/user accounts/change your account type, it seems to think i am already a standard user. the way UAC acts, it seems to think i am an administrator. which is...
  5. how to restrict users ability to install programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to restrict users ability to install programs: Windows 10 Pro - Have normal user ( NOT administrator). while logged in as a normal user and installing Chrome, get pop-up that says you must be administrator to install, and then get a sign in screen for an administrator user. If I close the pop-up screen without...
  6. User restrictions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User restrictions: How can I restrict a user profile from downloading programs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-restrictions/701495f4-6697-427d-ad20-16d961188fa1"
  7. Restricting the programs a teen and install and uninstall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Restricting the programs a teen and install and uninstall: Hi, I wonder if someone can advise me. I want to give my teen son a PC experience that is as close to being a local adminstrator as I can make it, while still making sure he cannot access unsuitable content. Specifically, I would like to: Give him the ability to install...
  8. How to prevent standard users from installing apps

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to prevent standard users from installing apps: H guys, Currently i have a laptop with 1 admin and 1 standard user account. I want to prevent standard users account from installing any programs and also prevent them from messing around with the settings like changing the wallpaper or themes or any other settings. my...
  9. How to restrict standard user access to folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to restrict standard user access to folders: On my secondary hard drive, I have some folders that I don't want standard users to see or access. How can I go about doing this? Thanks! 17727
  10. how to Uninstall an app installed with another user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to Uninstall an app installed with another user: Yesterday I had a problem with my current user, and to solve it I had to create another user account in windows. But now, my game "Quantum Break" that I had registered with the other user no longer appears as installed in windows. All applications are fine except the game....