Windows 10: Restriction Notice on Windows Update Pages

Discus and support Restriction Notice on Windows Update Pages in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Thanks everyone! This could of course just be a bug, as some of the links say, but I would have thought that more people would be seeing it if that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DaveH1, May 13, 2017.

1. simrick Win User

Restriction Notice on Windows Update Pages

The anti-telemetry changes would have to have been done by a third party for it to make a difference (O&O Shutup, etc.)
    Good. Let us know how that goes.
    Just so you understand, an in-place repair is not a last resort, and retains all applications, settings (except for what it might correct) and data. It's definitely something to be done before looking at reset/refresh/clean install, which remove stuff. *Wink

simrick, May 14, 2017
  2. Bree New Member

"*some settings are hidden or managed by your organisation" means, as Dalchina says in post #4, that there's a non-standard registry setting. Whether this was set through group policy, a third party app or by the user themselves in Regedit can be difficult to track down.

As an example (not, unfortunately, the one the OP wants) here's one I know of, having set it myself. You can try it yourself to see the effects. Create the DWORD AllowTelemetry with the value 0 in... Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection

This adds the red message (complete with the '*') in Settings > Privacy > Feedback & diasgnostics and greys out the 'Select how much data you send to Microsoft' options. This registry setting will be retained after an in-place upgrade, either to the same version or upgrading to Creators (I know, having done both). Delete AllowTelemetry and that setting page returns to normal.

3. DaveH1 Win User
    Thanks @simrick.

Well, you're not going to believe this, but it seems to be fixed, and I have absolutely no idea why!
    *Eek

I booted into Windows 10 (I have a multi-boot machine) and the message was still there, as expected.
    I then downloaded and installed the Tweaking.com repair tool.

I looked around its menus to see what it could do, but didn't actually run any of the routines.
    I then looked at Windows Update again, and the red message had gone, both from the first page and the Advanced Options page!

Now I obviously have no way of proving that installing the repair tool had anything to do with this, although I can't for the life of me imagine why it would have done. As I said, I didn't actually run any of the repair options!

Just as a test, I then uninstalled the Tweaking.com repair program, and the message still didn't come back.
    I then did a manual ERUNT backup of the registry, and then restored the automatic backup that it had created when I first booted into Windows 10, when the message was definitely present, and rebooted again. The message still did not come back, so it's presumably nothing to do with anything in the registry.

This is quite bizarre. If it suddenly fixed itself now, for an unknown reason, it would be an enormous coincidence.
    Does the mere act of installing the repair tool do anything to the system? Surely not.

I don't know about any of you, but I for one really hate it when that happens. I'm pleased that the message has gone, but I still want to know why it was there in the first place, and why it has now suddenly disappeared for no apparent reason!

Cheers, Dave.
    *Smile

DaveH1, May 14, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

I forgot to tell you, I waived my magic wand over your system.

Restriction Notice on Windows Update Pages [​IMG]

I don't know what to say. Simply installing Tweaking won't do anything. *Confused

simrick, May 14, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Clearly you threatened it sufficiently...*chuckle

dalchina, May 14, 2017
  6. DaveH1 Win User
    Yes, I guess I must have done!
    And, @simrick, if it was your magic wand, I hope you keep it to hand and fully charged here at all times!
    *Biggrin
    I guess it's going to be one of those things that will never be explained.
    Clutching at straws here, but I'm wondering if deleting those registry keys did in fact do the trick, but for some reason it didn't produce a result straight away. Unlikely though that sounds, that's all I can think of.
    It would be an almost unbelievable coincidence if it spontaneously fixed itself at the same time that I was working on it with your help!
    Anyway, if it comes back, you'll all be the first to know!
    Cheers and thanks for all your help all of you, I'm loving this forum already!
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    *Smile

DaveH1, May 14, 2017
  7. simrick Win User
    It was obviously the magic wand trick. *Wink
    Please go ahead and mark the thread as solved; you can unmark it, if it appears again. Cheers Dave! *Thumbs

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Restriction Notice on Windows Update Pages - Similar Threads - Restriction Notice Update

2. Windows Notices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Notices: I noticed this morning upon my computer boot and before the desktop appeared I received a notice for enhancing the Microsoft Edge browser.These enhancements would come if I decided in a package form too which two of them, I did not want. There was one I was just not...
  3. Windows Notices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Notices: I noticed this morning upon my computer boot and before the desktop appeared I received a notice for enhancing the Microsoft Edge browser.These enhancements would come if I decided in a package form too which two of them, I did not want. There was one I was just not...
  4. Windows Update Assistant Not Noticing my Drive

Windows Update Assistant Not Noticing my Drive: So I decided to use the windows update assistant to update to the latest version of Windows 10. However I get an error. It says "This pc can run windows 10 but it doesn't have enough storage.". It doesn't seem to notice I have a hard drive with 1TB of storage plugged in....
  5. Disable cmd window update notice?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable cmd window update notice?: I am not sure which forum (if any) would be best to use for this question, but maybe someone will be able to advise or refer me elsewhere if I post in the most general one. It's not really a Windows 10 issue per se (I have the same problem in Windows 7 too). I use a...
  6. Notice of Update Real or Fake

in Windows 10 Customization
    Notice of Update Real or Fake: Keep getting a notice stating there is an update for Windows 10 and to pick of the three boxes, either remind me, or pick a date or (sorry can't remember third box. Is this a legitimate update or scam?? Thanks CD...
  7. Update is ready notice

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Update is ready notice: Running Win 10 Pro Version 1803. Keep on getting a small widow with: Update is ready. "Update and benefit from enhancements and fixes." How do I know it is a legit update or something else. [ATTACH]...
  8. "Account Update" notice

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Account Update" notice: I received an email from "account team" stating that my account would be closed on 25/08/2018 if I didn't "update your account" Is this a Microsoft notice?...
  9. Restricting Windows Updates bandwidth

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Restricting Windows Updates bandwidth: Hi All I've just started migrating users to Windows 10 (from 7). With Windows 7 we used a BITS Group Policy that limited the bandwidth Windows Updates used during the day to 1kb so that the WAN links don't max out (they're only 10mb). This has worked fine for the Windows 7...
  10. Software Update Notices

Software Update Notices: I received a software update notice for Acrobat Reader DC two or three days which I clicked on, downloaded and install. I still get the notice as of today. IIRC, I've had this before but never this long. 22165