Windows 10: "Resume from Hibernation"?

Discus and support "Resume from Hibernation"? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been using Win10 since July. It has been working fine. Just recently I noticed a blue screen at boot up stating, "resume from hibernation". I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SJMaye, Oct 20, 2015.

1. SJMaye Win User

"Resume from Hibernation"?

I have been using Win10 since July. It has been working fine. Just recently I noticed a blue screen at boot up stating, "resume from hibernation". I have never used hibernation in my life. Sleep mode, yes. Hibernation, no. But I have an SSD and don't use sleep anymore. I do a full shutdown every time. I noticed the same issue on my Dad's Win10 computer.

Is this normal?

BTW- The reason I am asking is I want to boot from a USB flash drive, but "resume from hibernation" will not allow that.

:)

SJMaye, Oct 20, 2015
  2. graye Win User

Downloads will not resume

This is a known issue with the new Microsoft Edge browser.... but I haven't heard of this with Internet Explorer

graye, Oct 20, 2015
  3. How can I get Whatsapp?

also no resuming

Internet Troll, Oct 20, 2015
  4. AndyFH Win User

If this is a laptop then remove the battery and ac adaptor for a few mins and it should boot up.
    Also, try tapping F8 at boot up and choose Safe Mode, this can fix a few things.
    To disable hibernation altogether (and save gigabytes of disk space) right click 'Start' and then click 'Run',
    type 'powercfg /hibernation off' and click 'Ok'.

AndyFH, Oct 25, 2015
  5. SJMaye Win User
    That is the weird thing. This is a desktop. i will try your suggestion. Thanks!

SJMaye, Oct 25, 2015
  6. AndreyT Win User
    It is normal for a laptop to automatically transfer to Hibernation mode from Sleep mode if it's sleeping on battery power and the battery is about to go flat. Many (if not all) laptops provide support for this feature, which makes them automatically wake up from sleep and enter hibernation instead.

You desktop is apparently waking up from so called Hybrid Sleep, which is a mix of Sleep and Hybernation. The same thing could be happening on the laptop, if your sleep settings are configured accordingly.

If that's the reason, check your Power Options settings and see what it is set up for with regard to sleep.

AndreyT, Oct 25, 2015
  7. SJMaye Win User
    I checked and it appears you were right. According to MS by default when a computer goes to sleep it goes in the Hybrid Sleep. I disabled this.

SJMaye, Oct 26, 2015
  8. baitmn Win User

Hi All here on the forum,

I'm having almost the same issue, Resume from Hibernation,
    it all started just after the last update from m/s with win 10,
    I have 3 tb drives, 2 have win 10 instated 1 of the 2 is working with no problem to report,
    all of this is on a self built desktop see profile,
    Have never use hibernation on either drive, using balance power setting for unit on both,
    have set to fast start and shut down on both,
    After trying different thing for a few days,
    Have found that turning off fast start and shut down off Turns off the Resume from Hibernation,
    What is going on here???
    I would love to have the fast start and shut down working,
    Any help here from Shawn and the Crew
    Thanks for taking time to read and post

baitmn, Jan 21, 2016
  9. yurtesen Win User
    I have the same problem on an HP laptop. It recently started doing this. If I hibernate, it turns on few seconds after pressing power button theen abruptly powers off. Next press of the power button causes a fresh windows start. I looked around online and all I found was to disable hibernate as solution. That is sort of unacceptable.

yurtesen, Jan 22, 2017
  10. mrgeek Win User
    @ yurtesen & batimn; lately experienced start problems coming out of hibernation on my HP laptop too (default action closing lid). I turned off hibernation (which turns off fast start) and just use sleep or shut down. The extra 15-20 sec to start up and 5 cents of overnight electricity makes it not worth my time to diagnose (I have plugged in 90% of time). I simply either sleep for immediate start up or shut down with lid close. Putting to sleep then closing lid retains sleep when on battery. No more issues, little time invested. Good Luck

mrgeek, Jan 22, 2017
  11. yurtesen Win User
    @mrgeek The problem is not the battery/power usage, but that I am doing some work and I want to save the open programs as they are. Hibernate is very useful for that. I don't have to start all the programs, find the right documents, go to right pages, lines etc. You are right in a way, I could probably just standby the computer. But I tried that, but at least twice it turned on by itself in my backpack! I realized what was going on only when I felt the sudden burn on my back *Smile I also want to turn it off completely to avoid such accidents.

BUT I remembered that I installed some AMD driver updates recently, I also remembered that it told me I didn't have PSP and Startnow drivers. I went to "Programs and Features" and clicked "Change" then selected "PSP Driver" and clicked "Clean Uninstall" and now I can hibernate again.

Before that I uninstalled the "AMD Startnow" and "SMBus driver" but I think they were unrelated (because I tested after removing them and still PC was just powering itself off when resuming from hibernate).

So, I blame the PSP driver, do you also have an AMD model?

yurtesen, Jan 22, 2017
  12. mrgeek Win User
    yurtesen; I have HP with AMD A8-5550M processor. The driver is from 2009 but the display driver is different, is that what you updated ? You could roll back if you think that's the issue. Have you tried the original drivers for your model from HP Support page or recovery partition? Then, work forward with Windows updates.

If it turned on by itself in your backpack, maybe jiggling of your wireless mouse took it out of sleep/standby. I've had that happen in my carry case before and switch mouse off now. *Huh

mrgeek, Jan 22, 2017
  13. prikker Win User

I always use hibernation (once a week I clean with CCleaner and Disk Cleanup and do a full shutdown) and never had a blue screen.

prikker, Jan 22, 2017
  14. yurtesen Win User
    @mrgeek I don't know why it turned on from sleep and I would rather keep it hibernated since hibernation IS WORKING now since I removed the AMD PSP Driver.

I don't have recovery partition. One of the first things I did was to do a clean install of win10 anniversary edition and I did not download any drivers from HP as far as I can remember. Windows found all drivers and I put latest AMD GPU drivers manually.

I think my suggestion to you is to look for the latest bios for your laptop from HP site first. Because I saw many times some bios updates fixing sleeping etc. related problems. I think perhaps our problems are different because your CPU does not have PSP AFAIK. Platform Security Processor was added to some models starting in 2014.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help *Smile

yurtesen, Jan 22, 2017
  15. yurtesen Win User
    I have also another machine on which hibernation works flawlessly. I dont do any disk cleanup whatsoever. I wonder to what conclusion we can come to with this information...hmm...

yurtesen, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. "Resume from Hibernation"? - Similar Threads - Resume Hibernation

2. Windows 11 can't resume from hibernation on BIOS PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 can't resume from hibernation on BIOS PC: Although Windows 11 is not supposed to be installed on BIOS PCs, some people including Microsoft have published instructions and some of them work.One PC has Windows 7 x64 in one partition and Windows 11 in another partition. Two PCs have Windows 10 x64 in one partition and...
  3. Windows 11 can't resume from hibernation on BIOS PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 can't resume from hibernation on BIOS PC: Although Windows 11 is not supposed to be installed on BIOS PCs, some people including Microsoft have published instructions and some of them work.One PC has Windows 7 x64 in one partition and Windows 11 in another partition. Two PCs have Windows 10 x64 in one partition and...
  4. Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000001.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000001.: Hi All,From last 5 days I am facing an issue with the system. It doesn't turns on black while turning on from hibernation and after sometime it creates a dump file and then restart itself.based on the windbg analysis of the dump file I get the below analysis:2: kd> !analyze...
  5. Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000001.

Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000001.: Hi All,From last 5 days I am facing an issue with the system. It doesn't turns on black while turning on from hibernation and after sometime it creates a dump file and then restart itself.based on the windbg analysis of the dump file I get the below analysis:2: kd> !analyze...
  6. Windows 11 Pro blue screens after resuming from suspend or hibernate - every time.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro blue screens after resuming from suspend or hibernate - every time.: I took all the windows updates and also updated my display driver to latest version but no luck. Every time I resume from suspend/hibernate I get blue screen.Here is a link to my minidumps: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rjQGD3o534zm1uzzyYzMsTLxps73M2TV/view?usp=sharing...
  7. Windows 11 Pro blue screens after resuming from suspend or hibernate - every time.

Windows 11 Pro blue screens after resuming from suspend or hibernate - every time.: I took all the windows updates and also updated my display driver to latest version but no luck. Every time I resume from suspend/hibernate I get blue screen.Here is a link to my minidumps: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rjQGD3o534zm1uzzyYzMsTLxps73M2TV/view?usp=sharing...
  8. Phone popup spam when i resume from hibernation complaining that my phone was disconnected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phone popup spam when i resume from hibernation complaining that my phone was disconnected: If i plug my phone Poco M5 into my PC, disconnect it, and then hibernate my PC, windows 10 will give me popup spam complaining that my phone is disconnected after resuming from hibernation : https://i.imgur.com/DryEjP2.jpgThis didnt used to happen on my PC, it only started...
  9. Phone popup spam when i resume from hibernation complaining that my phone was disconnected

Phone popup spam when i resume from hibernation complaining that my phone was disconnected: If i plug my phone Poco M5 into my PC, disconnect it, and then hibernate my PC, windows 10 will give me popup spam complaining that my phone is disconnected after resuming from hibernation : https://i.imgur.com/DryEjP2.jpgThis didnt used to happen on my PC, it only started...
  10. Hibernate fails to resume with 0xC0000411, Kernel-Boot error...

Hibernate fails to resume with 0xC0000411, Kernel-Boot error...: As per title. This started sometime in June or July, and persisted across a full windows reinstall and then upgrade to Windows 11. I recently found suggestions to look in the Kernel-Boot event viewer logs, which show the error BL_LOG_ERROR_RES_INVALID_HBBOOT_MEM_MAP, which...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Have found that turning off fast start and shut down off Turns off the Resume from Hibernation

2. Resume from hibernation