Windows 10: Retail and OEM product keys

Discus and support Retail and OEM product keys in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello there, I want to buy a product key to activate my OS. In the web I found that there are two types. One is using a retail keyquite expensive and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Ezra Johns, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Retail and OEM product keys

Hello there,

I want to buy a product key to activate my OS. In the web I found that there are two types. One is using a retail keyquite expensive and other is using a OEM key. I further found that once you activate using a OEM key it is locked to that device while retail keys can be transferred to another device. In some forums, some people had said that hackers have found their product key and published it online which deactivated their product. I want to know a few things regarding that;

1If I buy a OEM key and activated my device. If someone got hold of it, and published online or they tried to activate using my key, will my key be disabled and my device deactivated?

2If I buy a retail key and activated my product;

aCan someone who got access to it activate theirs?

bIf they publish it online, do I have to buy a new one?

cIs there any way I could make sure that even if someone got hold of the key, they wouldn't be able to activate theirs?

Thank you in advance.

:)

Ezra Johns, Mar 24, 2021
  2. Sharief K Win User
    Sharief K, Mar 24, 2021
  3. OEM key vs Retail key??

Hi,

Could anyone clarify me the difference between these two product key types.I have came through that OEM keys are much cheaper compared to retail keys..any advantage / disadvantage going with OEM keys?

Thanks. Retail and OEM product keys :)

Flashvenom960, Mar 24, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Retail and OEM product keys

OEM to Retail

Hi Aravind

Is the Retail licence the same edition (Home, Pro . . etc) as the OEM licence?

Do you have the product key for your Retail licence?

If so, open the Settings App, go to Update and Security - activation

Click 'Change Product Key' and enter your retail licence key . . .

DaveM121, Mar 24, 2021
Thema:

Retail and OEM product keys

1. Retail and OEM product keys - Similar Threads - Retail OEM product

2. Transfer of retail windows product key. Will the OEM stay and be used again?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer of retail windows product key. Will the OEM stay and be used again?: I just built a new pc, I was planning to transfer my retail windows 10 pro on laptop that was once an OEM but upgraded to retail windows 10 pro. What is the most effective way of transferring it and what will happen to my laptop that had it's retail windows removed? The...
  3. should I buy an OEM product key for windows 10 or buy a retail product key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    should I buy an OEM product key for windows 10 or buy a retail product key?: I want to use this key to transfer many times in the future. So a retail product key can be used for future version of windows? like windows 11, windows 12pretend next version after 11 is 12? or I cannot?...
  4. should I buy an OEM product key for windows 10 or buy a retail product key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    should I buy an OEM product key for windows 10 or buy a retail product key?: I want to use this key to transfer many times in the future. So a retail product key can be used for future version of windows? like windows 11, windows 12pretend next version after 11 is 12? or I cannot?...
  5. should I buy an OEM product key for windows 10 or buy a retail product key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. OEM Product Key

OEM Product Key: Is it possible to retrieve my windows OEM product key when I purchase my HP Laptop way back in 2014 windows 8 pre-installed with the computer, upgraded to 10 when came out? I replaced my HD 2 years ago and I need to replace it again with SSD. I contacted HP support and he...
  7. OEM product Keys

OEM product Keys: i want to buy oem license key from amazon for my laptop is that ok ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/oem-product-keys/63fba0b4-4c8e-432f-936f-05451ec28757
  8. retail product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    retail product key: i like to if the product key sold by Bestbuy store is legit or a scam https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/retail-product-key/6bb8c0dc-a139-4344-a068-8d521fe0fd04
  9. Retail oem products

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Retail oem products: So impressed i was with the price and reviews for an ASUS vivobook notebook laptop i bought one for my son going into 6th form at school and i went back to ARGOS in Sainsburys and bought another one for myself . Problems arose when files started to disappear and then whole...
  10. OEM Product Key

OEM Product Key: I recently bought a Windows 10 Pro (OEM) and installed it on my computer which currently has a windows 10 Home ( OEM ). Then i installed the windows 10 home to my laptop. However i can't activate the product key of the said OS. I get this error "We can't activate windows on...