Windows 10: Retail product key for Windows 10 is not working with new computer build.

Discus and support Retail product key for Windows 10 is not working with new computer build. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently built a new computer, I recycled the boot SSD and HDD. Everything else is new including RAM. When I booted the computer I noticed I still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JesseK7, Mar 28, 2021.

1. JesseK7 Win User

Retail product key for Windows 10 is not working with new computer build.

I recently built a new computer, I recycled the boot SSD and HDD. Everything else is new including RAM. When I booted the computer I noticed I still had Windows 10 Pro, however it was indicating that Windows was not activated in settings with error code 0x803f7001, and displayed a watermark on my screen constantly. I wiped my drives. Went to my Microsoft account, purchased Windows 10 Home. Indicated a local install of Windows 10 Home. Installed Windows 10 Home. Restarted my computer. It is still indicating that I need to activate Windows 10. So, I enter product key manually. No go. "That product key you entered did not work, check product key and try again or enter a new product key". Error code 0xc004f050. I mean come on, I payed for the software. Why would that product key not work? Mint or Ubuntu is starting to look tempting.

:)

JesseK7, Mar 28, 2021
  2. Andre Da Costa, Mar 28, 2021
  3. Windows 10 Retail Product Key

I own a retail copy of Windows 8.1 from the Microsoft Store.

It is visible in my account purchase history.

I furthermore have a retail Product Key associated with that purchase

in the email I received when I made the purchase.

I want to upgrade this machine, running this Retail copy of Windows 8.1,

to Windows 10, through the Retail Upgrade 1-Year program.

Here is my question.

Will I receive an unique, individual, windows 10 Retail Product Key,

That I can extract from the registry and write down on paper with a pencil,

as opposed to TY4CG-JDJH7-VJ2WF-DY4X9-HCFC6(build 10240 generic key)?

This hypothetical question is brought to you by my future self 366 days from now,

where my current computer dies and I purchase a new one and desire to transfer

my Retail Windows 10 License to a new computer.

This question requires a fully qualified Yes or No answer to be considered answered.

I will not accept any cookie cutter answers. Please do not copy and paste information

that I can read elsewhere, I and the rest of this community have already read that

information to the full extant it is available for us to read.

LegendaryPokemon, Mar 28, 2021
  4. Andynor91 Win User

Determining if I can use my product key for new build

So I currently have a Windows 8 Pro key that I bought in 2012 at Microsoft's official store for €30 (promotion for eligible people who had xp, vista, or win 7 - I had win 7), which further down the line gave me the free upgrade option to windows 10.

It's only been used on the computer I am using now (so only 1), and when I do "slmgr -dli" in cmd, the prompt shows: "Windows(R) Professional Edition, Description: Windows(R) Professional Edition, RETAIL channel, Partial Product Key: XXXXX, License Status: Licensed".

Question is: can I deactivate the key on this computer, and reactivate it on my to-be new build? Also, do I need my new windows 10 product key (if there is one - can't seem to find it on my computer), or do I just use the Win 8 Pro key that I have when I reactivate windows 10 for the new build?

Found an insane amount of conflicting information regarding this questions when I googled it, so I got no clue what website or article to believe.

Any help is greatly appreciated! *Smile Retail product key for Windows 10 is not working with new computer build. :)

Andynor91, Mar 28, 2021
Thema:

1. Retail product key for Windows 10 is not working with new computer build. - Similar Threads - Retail product key

2. Windows 11 activation with new Windows 10 Retails product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 activation with new Windows 10 Retails product key: I understand that Microsoft does not sell Windows 10 online/offline at present. However the Win10 pro retail physical version are available at many stores. And I am found that those are little bit cheap compared to Win11 pro retail from online/offlineMy quarry is that if I...
  3. Windows 11 activation with new Windows 10 Retails product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 activation with new Windows 10 Retails product key: I understand that Microsoft does not sell Windows 10 online/offline at present. However the Win10 pro retail physical version are available at many stores. And I am found that those are little bit cheap compared to Win11 pro retail from online/offlineMy quarry is that if I...
  4. Retail and OEM product keys

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Retail and OEM product keys: Hello there, I want to buy a product key to activate my OS. In the web I found that there are two types. One is using a retail keyquite expensive and other is using a OEM key. I further found that once you activate using a OEM key it is locked to that device while retail...
  5. Windows Product key on a New computer.

Windows Product key on a New computer.: Hi, I was going to build a new computer, meaning that I would need another copy of windows 10 home. I purchased a CD installation of windows 10 home and a product key, I was wondering if I would be able to use that product key and CD installation from 2016 to use for my...
  6. Windows Product Key on a new computer

Windows Product Key on a new computer: Hi. I bought my kids laptop computers recently. One is a Surface and one is a Lenovo. If I am not mistaken, there is no Windows 10 DVD that ships with the laptop. So, if, years from now, my kids need to reinstall the OS, they will need a Windows 10 product key, right?...
  7. retail product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    retail product key: i like to if the product key sold by Bestbuy store is legit or a scam https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/retail-product-key/6bb8c0dc-a139-4344-a068-8d521fe0fd04
  8. New Product Key not working

New Product Key not working: I just bought a product key from the Microsoft store. They sent me a product key. When I entered to key to activate Windows 10 I wouldn't work. Any ideas? This is a new build computer. My son put a copy of Windows 10 on it but I had to buy a product key. So am I just out $140...
  9. Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer

Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer: Hi, I'm currently building a gaming desktop, and I don't want to have to buy a new Windows 10 product key as they are quite expensive. I'm wondering if I can transfer the key from my current laptop. I've used a software called ProduKey which found the key from my computer for...
  10. Previous Product Key On New Build

Previous Product Key On New Build: I recently completed a new build and was told that I could use the product key associated to my microsoft account from my previous PC. However, once windows was installed the key would not activate. I've followed all troubleshooting steps regarding activation in general and...