Windows 10: Retail Win10

Discus and support Retail Win10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My free upgrade will not work no matter what I try. It always gives me the same message. "........cannot be installed on USB flash drive." Of course, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rgauchey, Aug 8, 2015.

1. rgauchey Win User

Retail Win10

My free upgrade will not work no matter what I try. It always gives me the same message. "........cannot be installed on USB flash drive." Of course, I do not have a drive attached to USB. So, I don't know what is generating this error. If I bite-the-bullet and buy a retail version do you think I will have the same problem?

:)

rgauchey, Aug 8, 2015

2. After upgrade, will license still be retail or not ?

Original title: If users upgrade from win 8.1 retail to win10 free upgrade, will the license still be retail or not ?

If users upgrade from win7/8.1 retail to win10 free upgrade, will the license still be retail or not ? can it be transferrable still and how wi if users upgrade from win7/8.1 retail to win10 free upgrade, will the license still be retail or not ? can it
    be transferrable still and how will that work? i only want to know this, and a lot of other people would like to knowll that work?

Amith Ingalagi, Aug 8, 2015
  3. Activation error code 0xC004C003

1. Where or from whom did you purchase the "retail key?"

2. What, if any, Windows version was installed on the computer before you installed Win10?

3. Is the "retail key" for Win10 Home, Win10 Pro, or...?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Aug 8, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

Retail Win10

It appears the drive you are trying to update - is flagged as a removable drive..

purchasing a retail version will not help your issue, as the software is the same, so you are just basically purchasing a new product key

please open command prompt (admin)
    type> diskpart
    type> list disk
    type> select disk 0
    type> detail disk

post a pic of command window

Kyhi, Aug 8, 2015
  5. rive0108 Win User
    Perhaps posting a snapshot of disk management would help..??

rive0108, Aug 8, 2015
  6. rgauchey Win User
    Hope this helps.............

Retail Win10 [​IMG]

rgauchey, Aug 8, 2015
  7. Kyhi Win User
    Kyhi, Aug 8, 2015
  8. rgauchey Win User

Retail Win10

I have done all three..........as well as windows update history has numerous failures.
    ....setup from MCT
    .....Setup from mounted iso
    .....booting from said iso

rgauchey, Aug 8, 2015
  9. altae Win User
    Are those GPT or legacy partitions? What version are you trying to install, 64 bit or 32 bit? I think Windows 10 64 bit only works with a GPT partition table, at least on the system disk. If your problems persist I recommend erasing all partitions on the system disk in order to start from scratch.

altae, Aug 9, 2015
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Don't erase all partitions, you need to do an upgrade to qualify for the free Windows 10.

Ztruker, Aug 9, 2015
  11. letmein Win User
    Wouldn't the product key suffice ?

letmein, Aug 9, 2015
  12. Ztruker Win User
    No, you have to upgrade an existing qualifying OS, no exceptions. That means you have to start the upgrade from a booted OS. That means running setup.exe from a mounted ISO, inserted flash drive or DVD.

Many have tried, none have succeeded.

Ztruker, Aug 9, 2015
  13. letmein Win User

Retail Win10

Thanks

letmein, Aug 9, 2015
  14. letmein Win User
    Most new computers come with bloatware. Make sure to shutoff and uninstall any running programs including security tools as they are known to cause issues.

letmein, Aug 9, 2015
  15. altae Win User
    That's true. But If Windows 10 keeps refusing the system disk/ partition the only way for the op would be to erase all partitions, create a proper GPT partition table on the system disk and reinstall the current Windows version again. Than it should be possible to go through the update process. To me it really sounds like there is something wrong with the partition table of the disk onto which the op wants to install Windows 10. But that's only a so called "educated guess". It's really difficult to tell without access to the op's computer.

altae, Aug 9, 2015
Thema:

Retail Win10

1. Retail Win10 - Similar Threads - Retail Win10

2. Replacing my SSD Retail OS Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing my SSD Retail OS Win10: Hello Team, I'm planning to replace/upgrade my SSD into 1TB. So I was thinking to re-use my product key after changing and re-install my OS on new SSD. I understand that I'll need to de-activate the current OS before I re-activate with the same key on the new SSD. However,...
  3. Replacing my SSD Retail OS Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing my SSD Retail OS Win10: Hello Team, I'm planning to replace/upgrade my SSD into 1TB. So I was thinking to re-use my product key after changing and re-install my OS on new SSD. I understand that I'll need to de-activate the current OS before I re-activate with the same key on the new SSD. However,...
  4. Replacing my SSD Retail OS Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Reinstall from Win10 retail USB flashh drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall from Win10 retail USB flashh drive: Near comedy of things going on at once. HD with Install went at once, no saving. USB with Win retail will not install on new, or any other drive I have. Looked over multiple suggestions on the web. "new" in options is not highlighted and in dim letters for all drives...
  6. Reinstall from Win10 retail USB flashh drive

Reinstall from Win10 retail USB flashh drive: Near comedy of things going on at once. HD with Install went at once, no saving. USB with Win retail will not install on new, or any other drive I have. Looked over multiple suggestions on the web. "new" in options is not highlighted and in dim letters for all drives...
  7. Reinstall from Win10 retail USB flashh drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Moving my Retail Win10 to a new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving my Retail Win10 to a new PC: Hi all,I have a retail version of Win10 on my current 10-year old PC and have located the partial product key and other details found via the command prompt. I'm ordering a new custom PC and obviously want to transfer my Win10 across. After a quick online search, the...
  9. Moving my Retail Win10 to a new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving my Retail Win10 to a new PC: Hi all,I have a retail version of Win10 on my current 10-year old PC and have located the partial product key and other details found via the command prompt. I'm ordering a new custom PC and obviously want to transfer my Win10 across. After a quick online search, the...
  10. Moving my Retail Win10 to a new PC