Windows 10: Retail Windows 8.1 Pro - New Computer License

Discus and support Retail Windows 8.1 Pro - New Computer License in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Alright, this seems fairly a simple question but there seem to be quite a few variants in the answers I see on the web. First, let me clear things... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by NarcAngel, Sep 9, 2019.

1. NarcAngel Win User

Retail Windows 8.1 Pro - New Computer License

Alright, this seems fairly a simple question but there seem to be quite a few variants in the answers I see on the web.

First, let me clear things up.

I bought Windows 8.1 pro in 2015 I think, I bought that Windows from the Windows Stores directly, it is not OEM, it's a direct purchase of both the license and the DVD which I received by mail at that time and I still have the DVDs and the license key for Win8.1 pro.

I eventually upgraded that Win8.1 to Win10 during the free phase of passage from 7/8 to Win10.

My current Win10 is Win10 pro with a digital license.

I am soon replacing the entire computer for a new one, everything totally new, the old computer is 10 years of age.

I am wondering, do I need to buy a new license or does my license carries to a new computer?

Thank you for any clarification!

:)

NarcAngel, Sep 9, 2019

2. Can Windows 10 Pro be moved to a new computer using digital license?

• If you upgraded from a retail copy of Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1, the Windows 10 license carries the retail rights from which it was derived –
      can be transferred. But under Microsoft’s rules, you are only entitled to a one time transfer.
    • If you upgraded from an OEM Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1 license, these are licenses that come preinstalled on a new computer from a manufacturer, and then your Windows 10 license maintains the OEM rights –
      cannot be transferred.
    • If you have a full retail copy of Windows 10, you can transfer it as many times as you want.
    • If you performed an
      Easy Upgrade to the Windows 10 Pro Pack
      from Windows 10 Home, you can transfer it using Digital Licensing. This is possible because of the Pro Pack, while an upgrade, is a retail license attached to the Microsoft Account used to purchase it.

RichardEiler, Sep 9, 2019
  3. _rwhite_ Win User
    Windows 8 Pro Retail => Windows 10 Pro (Free upgrade) Fails Activation after hardware change

Hi,

I bought 2 retail licenses (one for my desktop and one for my laptop) for Windows 8 several years ago and upgraded to Windows 10 (via the free upgrade). Recently I had to change some hardware (motherboard) and I get the following error code when trying to
    activate Windows: 0xC004C003.

I have tried the following, all of which have failed.

1. Troubeshoot -> I recently changed hardware on this device (I can only see my Laptop License and not my desktop)
    2. Provided the Installation ID (via phone helpdesk) on two occasions.
    First help desk technician suggested I buy a new Windows License and the second suggested I reinstall and use Windows 8. Both suggestions from help desk are ridiculous.

How do I proceed without having to:

1. Pay for a license I should technically already have
    2. Downgrade back to Windows 8 (loose time / data)

_rwhite_, Sep 9, 2019
  4. Retail Windows 8.1 Pro - New Computer License

How to transfer windows 10 license to a new computer?

If its the free upgrade originated from an OEM Windows 7 or Windows 8 preinstalled license, it is still not transferrable, even though it says its retail in the command line using slmgr.vbs /dlv command.

Only licenses upgraded from a retail Windows 8 or Windows 7 or full Windows 10 license.

Learn more:

Andre Da Costa, Sep 9, 2019
Thema:

Retail Windows 8.1 Pro - New Computer License

1. Retail Windows 8.1 Pro - New Computer License - Similar Threads - Retail Pro Computer

2. Transferring Windows 11 Pro digital license Retail to new laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring Windows 11 Pro digital license Retail to new laptop: I have a Windows 11 Pro digital retail license which I used in my older laptop. I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 11 Home installed by default. I uninstalled my Pro key from my old laptop using `slmgr /upk && slmgr /cpky` commands and even wiped my hard disk of old...
  3. Windows 10 Pro licensed for only 1 computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Pro licensed for only 1 computer: I have windows 10 Pro on my laptop and on my PC, Is it bad enough to even Sign in to a Microsoft account due to Licenses Agreements? If so I am really sorry...
  4. [RESOLVED] Transferring Windows 10 Pro RETAIL license from old computer to new computer

[RESOLVED] Transferring Windows 10 Pro RETAIL license from old computer to new computer: Hi there I have an old computer with Windows 10 Pro Retail fully activated. It was originally a Windows 8 Pro retail key that I bought from a shop in a box and then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I would now like to transfer this old license to my new computer that also has...
  5. Transferring Windows 10 Pro RETAIL license from old computer to new computer

Transferring Windows 10 Pro RETAIL license from old computer to new computer: Hi there I have an old computer with Windows 10 Pro Retail fully activated. It was originally a Windows 8 Pro retail key that I bought from a shop in a box and then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I would now like to transfer this old license to my new computer that also has...
  6. Forgot to deactivate a retail license to transfer to a new computer

Forgot to deactivate a retail license to transfer to a new computer: Hello. I own a retail license of Windows 7 with a free upgrade to 10 some many years ago. I recently changed hardware motherboard, GPU, processor so it was a significant change. I actually forgot to deactivate the old license I am still using the same HD so that means I can't...
  7. licensing and transferring win 8 pro retail key account to totally new system

licensing and transferring win 8 pro retail key account to totally new system: Hi, Good day to you. Planning to get a new system. And like to check if i can transfer my win 8 proretail key account to totally new system on win 10 pro. My win 8 pro key has been upgraded to win 10 pro which i am using now.Will i be able to transfer it to new system on...
  8. transferring licensed retail version of Windows 10 to a new computer

transferring licensed retail version of Windows 10 to a new computer: I have a full licensed retail version of Windows 10 on my old computer. Full details please of how this ma[y be transferred to my new computer. Am not an IT guru so need details of where to access the old Product key Many thanks Charlie #&...
  9. Is reactivating a retail Windows 10 Pro license on a new computer allowed (after the old...

Is reactivating a retail Windows 10 Pro license on a new computer allowed (after the old...: Situation: My old computer stopped working, I've built a new one and would like to get my Windows 10 Pro key reactivated on the new computer. In my first naïve attempt at "freeing up" the key for reactivation, I figured it was a good idea to delete the old computer from my...
  10. Windows 10 Pro retail activation on a new computer

Windows 10 Pro retail activation on a new computer: Hi,I'm receiving an error 0xc004c003 when trying to activate my Windows 10 Pro retail license on my new computer. My old computer is formatted so the license should no longer be active....