Windows 10: Retaining File Dates From Compressed Files

Discus and support Retaining File Dates From Compressed Files in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a number of folders that I sent to compressed files to make it easier to move to a new laptop. When I uncompress them on the new laptop the file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/wessellj, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Retaining File Dates From Compressed Files

I have a number of folders that I sent to compressed files to make it easier to move to a new laptop. When I uncompress them on the new laptop the file date is changed to the current as they're written to the file system. That makes basic sense, but I want them to keep the original date/times.

I looked at the options for the compact command and it's not an available option. This being a work laptop, I'm also not able to install anything like 7-Zip or Winzip which may allow me to uncompress them and retain the file attributes.

Would someone be able to point me in the right direction?

Update:

Installing or using portable 3rd software not already on the system is forbidden by policy and monitored, and I understand it's for good reasons. So I'm trying to figure out how myself and others who will be getting new laptops can retain file dates without needing anything extra or traveling long distances. Gotta be done locally with nothing connected to the system or extra software involved.

Reddit - you are challenged

submitted by /u/wessellj
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/wessellj, Nov 24, 2020
  2. RejZoR Win User

Compress files??

It all depends on the contents. Back in the early days of DVD games, they had plenty of space compared to CD's. So they left stuff uncompressed on the DVD itself. Compressing such ISO image would result in very high compression ratio. But these days, even DVD discs are becoming small and game companies are already using data compression to fit more data on the same DVD. And since you cannot compress already compressed data, you're seeing more and more of the 99% compresion ratio moments.

Good examples of such scenarios is when you want to compres uncompressed WAV file and a MP3 file. WAV is not compressed and you can decrease its size significantly. You might gain few kilobytes when trying to compress already compressed MP3. The same is with images. You can compress BMP images rather well but when compressing JPG images, you won't really gain anything as its already compressed.

There are few very specialized algorithms that may gain some more compression out of already compressed data, but the gains are usually very small and usually not worth the extra compression time needed to perform the compression itself. Plus you can only use them to compress very specific data files.

RejZoR, Nov 24, 2020
  3. Compress files??

using upx? to compress exe files
    but you need to make it executable zip first then do upx

micropage7, Nov 24, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Retaining File Dates From Compressed Files

So I used KGB Archiver to compress a 10gb file into a 40mb file...

Exactly. Most compression programs change a series of 1s and/or 0s to a couple of digits, and stores the total file in a table of contents/index. If you've got a file with TONS of repeating digits, sure, but pictures? No way to get that kind of compression in the real world.

from an article on "How To Geek"

First, we installed Bastion and compressed its folder — about 863 MB in size of music, graphics, executable files, and various different types of documents:

• Zip (Windows 8.1): 746 MB (86.4% of the original size)
    • Zip (WinZip): 745 MB (86.3% of the original size)
    • RAR (WinRAR): 746 MB (86.4% of the original size)
    • 7z (7-Zip): 734 MB (85% of the original size)
    Next, we compressed Hotline Miami, which is 654 MB of data:

• Zip (Windows 8.1): 316 MB (48.3% of the original size)
    • Zip (WinZip): 314 MB (48% of the original size)
    • RAR (WinRAR): 307 MB (46.9% of the original size)
    • 7z (7-Zip): 301 MB (46% of the original size)
    I would not expect a great deal of change from those numbers in November of 2014 to now, nor would I expect any real-world files to come any where NEAR the compression rate of .4%.

Ahhzz, Nov 24, 2020
Thema:

Retaining File Dates From Compressed Files

1. Retaining File Dates From Compressed Files - Similar Threads - Retaining File Dates

2. Compressing Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compressing Files: Is it safe to compress all the folders in c drive? Please answer !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressing-files/1d9bcd44-7272-4ed6-a598-3724a298ba3d
  3. Cant compress files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant compress files?: So I'm trying to compress files for a personal project but when i click "send to" the only option is "Bluetooth" device. How do i fix this? submitted by /u/D0bious [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jm3qax/cant_compress_files/
  4. Compressed file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Compressed file: I have a photo file that is compressed. I don't know how that happened, but how do I remove it from being compressed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressed-file/834893b5-4de1-415a-8560-319b6f411950
  5. File Compression . . .

File Compression . . .: My computer, is a "Dell" laptop. Running, Windows 10 pro. I want to compress all my files. Like "Documents". WinZip was the first one, I found. But, WinZip, is not free. So, I typed in. Show me alternatives, to WinZip. I found, quite a few. But even, the alternatives. Have,...
  6. file compression

file compression: I have a 5.3mb pdf file that I need to compress to a 2.0mb. How do I do this? Thank you all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-compression/9213218a-4cba-414b-b613-048b16bd05d7
  7. compress large file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    compress large file: How to compress a large picture file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compress-large-file/3eb5d31e-31b5-44af-90d5-4acfdd810a3c
  8. Copying Compressed Files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Copying Compressed Files: Greetings, I already tried asking this in Microsoft Answers. I would like to use the compact command before copying files to an external drive. However, I've run into two problems: First, it seems that Windows automatically decompresses files before copying them, and tries...
  9. Compressed Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compressed Files: Hello, I was wondering if there was any way to automatically compress all files on my pc without having to go and manually compress all of them. Please and thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressed-files/61cf235d-6333-4696-b2be-666b891dedbb
  10. Compressed files and notepad

Compressed files and notepad: I'm attempted to download a file that was downloading as a notepad text. This file is supposed to be a compressed file with a program that runs after it's unzipped however I can't get the file to revert back to it's original state from the site....