Windows 10: Retiring a laptop and transferring its retail licence to another laptop

Discus and support Retiring a laptop and transferring its retail licence to another laptop in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I have a laptop that is old and needs to be retired. It has Windows 10 Home version 2004. It has a digital licence. Product Key Channel is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TezzaAlex, Jan 13, 2021.

1. TezzaAlex Win User

Retiring a laptop and transferring its retail licence to another laptop

Hi,

I have a laptop that is old and needs to be retired. It has Windows 10 Home version 2004. It has a digital licence. Product Key Channel is 'Retail'. I have read that the Retail means that I can use this licence for another device. I understand that I may only use this licence for 1 device.

I have a replacement laptop that I would like to transfer the old laptop's digital licence to so that I can download Windows 10 Home version 2004 to it. Currently the replacement laptop has Windows 10 Home version 1909. It has a digital licence also. Product Key Channel is 'Retail'.

Both laptops are registered on my Microsoft account.

Would you advise me the steps to retire the old laptop and upload Windows 10 Home version 2004 onto the replacement laptop using the transferrable Retail digital licence.

Thank you

TezzaAlex

:)

TezzaAlex, Jan 13, 2021
  2. pangTuen Win User

withdrawing a win10 pro licence from a retiring laptop.

I have to retired my current laptop because Im leaving my current job. so there are three problems Im suffering.

1. the laptop was come with a Win 10 home, and I brought a pro licence on the windows shop. how can I withdraw the pro licence and restore the laptop back to its original edition?

2. while restoring the laptop back to its original home edition, is that means I have to remove all those working files from the laptop?

3. how can I applied the Win 10 pro licence to my new surface book 2 ?

thank you very muck.

P

pangTuen, Jan 13, 2021
  3. Transfer Windows 10 digital licence to another computer

Hi,

I have retail Windows 10 Pro digital licence which is linked to my microsoft account. I want to transfer that licence to new laptop. What are the steps? Do I need to deactivate licence (and how) at first laptop and then install windows to other laptop and link
    somehow that licence to that laptop?

Thanks in advance

JovicaPantic, Jan 13, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

transfer laptop to laptop on windows 10

Hi mostlyhere

Please provide a bit more detail, what do you want to transfer over form the old laptop to the new laptop?

Your Files:

You can transfer over your data in a number of ways, it generally depends on the amount of data, which way is best, the most reliable, is to use a USB Flash Drive or external USB Hard drive, you can also upload your files to the Cloud on the old PC and pull
    them back down on the new PC

Applications

These will need to be installed in the new laptop, there is no way to reliably transfer those over

Windows 10 Settings

If you log into Windows 10 on the old PC with a Microsoft Account and have settings synced from the Settings App - Accounts Sync Your Settings, then those should appear on the new laptop automatically

Windows 10

If you mean you want to actually transfer WIndows 10 over to the new laptop, Is your Windows 10 licence based on an OEM licence (came pre-installed on a PC) or Retail (purchased separately to a PC)

If it is a Retail licence, then it will have transfer rights to a new PC, if it is OEM it will not . ..

Is your licence a Retail licence?

DaveM121, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Retiring a laptop and transferring its retail licence to another laptop - Similar Threads - Retiring laptop transferring

2. Different licence on another laptop and another different licence on pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different licence on another laptop and another different licence on pc: Hi, so whenever im trying to install windows 10 or 11 on another of my laptop Asus X409MA using this account that has pro version for both that im using right now. After i install windows on my laptop, i'll just head to the windows settings to change some things and when i...
  3. Different licence on another laptop and another different licence on pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Different licence on another laptop and another different licence on pc: Hi, so whenever im trying to install windows 10 or 11 on another of my laptop Asus X409MA using this account that has pro version for both that im using right now. After i install windows on my laptop, i'll just head to the windows settings to change some things and when i...
  4. Transfer Laptop to Another Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Laptop to Another Microsoft Account: I just donated my old laptop to a nonprofit, but it's still registered under my MS account. Is there an easy way to delete that device from my account and allow the organization to re register under their account?...
  5. Transfer Windows license to another laptop

Transfer Windows license to another laptop: I lost my laptop which had a genuine copy of Windows 10 Home. Now, I am using another laptop but it came with no pre-installed OS. So I want to reuse the old license of the window on my new laptop. Is it possible? Also, I do not have the product key of the lost laptop but it...
  6. Transferring Windows licence to another system

Transferring Windows licence to another system: Hi All, I have purchased the hp laptop which comes with the pre-installed windows. My hard-disk was slow and I ordered SSD for this laptop. Now I have to install the same windows 10 to my new hard-disk. How to do this? How to use the same license to the new harddisk?...
  7. transfer windows 10pro to another laptop

transfer windows 10pro to another laptop: I had a desktop with windows 10pro it recently suffered a power supply failure the hardrive is in good conditions it works perfect but I bought a asus vivobook with windows 10 can I transfer my license from the 10pro to the 10...
  8. transfer widnows 10pro to another laptop

transfer widnows 10pro to another laptop: I had a desktop with windows 10pro it recently suffered a power supply failure the hardrive is in good conditions it works perfect but I bought a asus vivobook with windows 10 can I transfer my license from the 10pro to the 10...
  9. how can i shift the retail licence of microsoft to another laptop

how can i shift the retail licence of microsoft to another laptop: how can i shift the retail licence of microsoft to another laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-account/27b0002c-64a2-4633-955d-8d7b4927febf"
  10. withdrawing a win10 pro licence from a retiring laptop.

withdrawing a win10 pro licence from a retiring laptop.: I have to retired my current laptop because Im leaving my current job. so there are three problems Im suffering. 1. the laptop was come with a Win 10 home, and I brought a pro licence on the windows shop. how can I withdraw the pro licence and restore the laptop back to its...