Windows 10: Retrieve original activation code for win10-Pro? Alternatively, get a new key?

Discus and support Retrieve original activation code for win10-Pro? Alternatively, get a new key? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have several Dell Inspirion 660 win10 computers, but only one with the win10 Pro-edition . When I tried to start that one up today after a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Geert Cuypers, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Retrieve original activation code for win10-Pro? Alternatively, get a new key?

I have several Dell Inspirion 660 win10 computers, but only one with the win10 Pro-edition . When I tried to start that one up today after a few months of inactivity, mouse and keyboard would not load, regardless what I tried. I have had quite a few older hard drives fail over the past year, including backups while I was trying to recover, so there is no functional backup left of that specific hard drive.

I plugged in a home edition bootable drive, and that one started up OK, but showed the win10-home ID.

When I tried to change the key, I couldn't because I don't have it.

I plugged in the original drive in a USB-enclosure. That seemed OK, with all non-hidden files intact and no disk error message after connecting. I used admin command line to check for original key, it returned nothing.

I also used 2 small 3rd-party programs that supposedly can find the key in BIOS or UEFI? file or in the windows directory. First one said it couldn't open that UEFI file, second retrieved the ID as shown in the basic system info screen when you click on 'system' in the old control panel, but could not find the original key.
    I do have a picture of that system screen that shows it's the 64-bit Pro edition and the ID code 4 x 5 numbers/letters, but does not show the activation key.

Computer still has a DELL service tag, but no Microsoft ID sticker.

I also don't have emails form that go that far back, so I'm stuck.

I've download the win10 ISO-file today.
    I have not figured out how to bypass the start-up of the original hard drive to get into the recovery partition to 'reset' the original drive. If the drive doesn't die on me while reinstalling, that might resolve the problem. MIGHT, haven't tried that yet.

I've also been thinking about installing PRO on top of the newer home-edition drive, in the hope it would recover the original activation key from the BIOS/EEFI. Would that work if those key-retrieval programs claim they can't find it?

Help and suggestion would be appreciated. TIA.

:)

Geert Cuypers, Dec 24, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Win10 Pro Product Key on old machine needed for new one

No you retrieved the currently installed key from the correct place but it is the generic key, not the one you used to activate. The generic key cannot activate a new install of Windows.

Generic Product Keys to Install Windows 10 Editions

As dalchina asked in post #2...

How did you originally activate your Win 10?
    What does @Superfly's ShowKeyPlus tell you? This can show you the original key in addition to the currently installed key.

3. Win10 Pro Key & Activation

Hi,

I have a copy of Windows 8.1 Pro which I upgraded during the free upgrade time to Win10 Pro. Nothing has changed in my system except a new video card (other one failed :-( ).

I thought good time to clear out and start again with a new install. I used a keyfinder ( I tried it on existing copy of Win8,1 - showed correct results) to obtain Win10 Pro CD Key and made a not of this.

Put an .iso of Win10 onto a USB key and installed successfully the software.

When I try to enter the CD key & activate, I get error code 0x87E105DC

Could anyone please advise?

Many thanks,

Mark

Mark McG_899, Dec 24, 2020
  4. Retrieve original activation code for win10-Pro? Alternatively, get a new key?

Retrieving original activation key for windows

Just FYI, what is listed as "Windows 10" on the Media Creation Tool is multi edition. It can install Home or Pro. If an embedded key is detected it will auto match the edition and you won't be asked to select Home or Pro, or be asked for a product key. If no key is detected, or the key is for a version not supported by that ISO, you'll be prompted to select Home or Pro, and enter a key. For the current latest build anyway. Older builds would not use Windows 8/8.1 keys.

alphanumeric, Dec 24, 2020
Thema:

Retrieve original activation code for win10-Pro? Alternatively, get a new key?

1. Retrieve original activation code for win10-Pro? Alternatively, get a new key? - Similar Threads - Retrieve original activation

2. How to retrieve my Windows 11 Pro Activation Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to retrieve my Windows 11 Pro Activation Key: Hello,I bought a PC with Windows 11 Pro installed on it. The hard drive recently crashed and I have to install a new HD. However, I do not have the activation key. The PC is listed on my Microsoft Account. It did not have a sticker on the PC. I don't know why manufactures...
  3. Win10 Pro Key Code

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 Pro Key Code: I need to purchase a windows 10 pro key code for my PC, but I see that Micrrosoft stopped selling them on their website earlier this year, and I don't seem to be able to find a safe enough source to buy it from. Is there any recommendations on this matter?Also it's kind of...
  4. Win10 Pro Key Code

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Pro Key Code: I need to purchase a windows 10 pro key code for my PC, but I see that Micrrosoft stopped selling them on their website earlier this year, and I don't seem to be able to find a safe enough source to buy it from. Is there any recommendations on this matter?Also it's kind of...
  5. Win10 Pro Key Code

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Retrieve Activated Windows 10 Pro key?

Retrieve Activated Windows 10 Pro key?: In Windows 10 Pro, Activation shows the following:Activation Edition Windows 10 Pro Activation Windows is activated with digital license The laptop originally came with Windows 10 Home. I retrieved the UEFI/BIOS product key using this command:wmic path...
  7. Retrieving Original Product Key

Retrieving Original Product Key: I am Using HP TS 14 Notebook PC. It was Pre installed with Windows 8 Home Edition. It was upgraded it to Windows 10 Home. My laptop suffered Hard Disk Failure so a new Hard Disk was inserted without Activation of Windows. I cannot Retrieve my Original Product Key. Please help...
  8. transfer a Win10 Pro activation key to a new computer

transfer a Win10 Pro activation key to a new computer: I am replacing my old HP computer. Win10 Pro is an upgraded OS on this machine. I have a valid key for this OS that I would like to use with my new computer. I recently built a new machine for my wife. In the process of that I purchased a Win10 Pro disc with a separate key....
  9. Retrieve activation key

Retrieve activation key: I have a dell inspiron which I bought in 2014 with Windows 8 already installed. Since then, I never had any problems with my laptop until the last few weeks. Long story short: I need to reinstall my Windows 10 from scratch, but I can't find the activation key. I'm from Brazil...
  10. Retrieving original activation key for windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Retrieving original activation key for windows: Hello! I bought a demo-pc in 2014 that came with win8, but i was unable to log in as i did not have the password, so i flashed windows 10 insider build. But i am tired of all the bugs, so i want to get the regular windows 10 build now. Does anyone know how i can do...