Windows 10: retrieve wife's MS account which seems to have disappeared from user accounts

Discus and support retrieve wife's MS account which seems to have disappeared from user accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Configuring Wife's Win 10 home Samsung laptop so our grandchildren can use it for home lessons in lock down. Have removed all wifes files to a usb... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by jimh_sup, Jan 9, 2021.

1. jimh_sup Win User

retrieve wife's MS account which seems to have disappeared from user accounts

Configuring Wife's Win 10 home Samsung laptop so our grandchildren can use it for home lessons in lock down. Have removed all wifes files to a usb stick and have been creating user profiles for grandchildren but in the process I seem to have lost wife's user account. I had one as well on laptop but do not remember my password amd do not have a reset on usb stick How can I retrieve or restore wifes: user account as i think it is linke to several programmes we need to retain?

:)

jimh_sup, Jan 9, 2021
  2. Kari Win User

Change Microsoft Account Details in Administrator Account

Hi Daryl, welcome to the Ten Forums.

It's quite easy in fact, simply switch the account in question first to a local account, then switch back to a Microsoft account, this time using your wife's MS account credentials.

Tutorials:
    Notice that before doing this you need to remove the new additional MS account on the PC, the one you created with her credentials. Windows allows only one user account for each email address, if the new account exists you cannot switch the original administrator account to an MS account using the same email address. Tutorial: User Account - Delete in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Kari, Jan 9, 2021
  3. Kari Win User
    Change Microsoft Account Details in Administrator Account

Strange.

It looks as if the best alternative would be as follows, subject to me understanding you correctly that you only want one user account and that should be an MS account with your wife's email address:
    • Create a user account to your wife with her MS account email
    • Copy the data from C:\Users\Your_Original_Account to the new account of your wife's (Documents to Documents, Pictures to Pictures and so on)
    • Make your wife's account an administrator account
    • Delete your original account

Kari, Jan 9, 2021
  4. Kari Win User

Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

If the local account is the one where you have most of your personal data, this is how I would do it:

• Sign in to your Microsoft account
    • Copy all documents, pictures and other personal data from Microsoft account's user folders to corresponding folders in user Public (contents of MS account Documents folder to Public Documents folder and so on)
    • Sign out from Microsoft account
    Notice that above steps are only required if Microsoft account user folders contain data you want to keep. If its user folders are empty or do not contain anything worth saving, you can skip the above steps. Continue from below.

• Sign in to the local account
    • Delete the Microsoft account (Option One in this tutorial)
    • Switch your local account to a Microsoft account (tutorial)
    • Copy the data backed up from old Microsoft account to Public folders to new Microsoft account in corresponding folders

That's it. Using the Public folders as temporary storage you will have none whatsoever file owner / permission issues later on.

Kari, Jan 9, 2021
Thema:

1. retrieve wife's MS account which seems to have disappeared from user accounts - Similar Threads - retrieve wife's account

2. Is there a way to retrieve a PREVIOUS MS account password?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is there a way to retrieve a PREVIOUS MS account password?: I'm coping with an older BitLocked Win 10, Lenovo Thinkpad. I have the recovery key, and all was going well until I got to the step asking for the MS account password. The password was changed a while ago while this computer was locked. So this computer is looking for the...
  3. Is there a way to retrieve a PREVIOUS MS account password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to retrieve a PREVIOUS MS account password?: I'm coping with an older BitLocked Win 10, Lenovo Thinkpad. I have the recovery key, and all was going well until I got to the step asking for the MS account password. The password was changed a while ago while this computer was locked. So this computer is looking for the...
  4. Is there a way to retrieve a PREVIOUS MS account password?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. User account disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User account disappeared: Hello,I recently opened my windows 11 laptop after not using it for a week. Upon boot up, my user profile seems to be missing I have only ever had one user profile since this is a personal laptop. My only option to log in to an account is “New user” and a password is...
  6. User account disappeared

User account disappeared: Hello,I recently opened my windows 11 laptop after not using it for a week. Upon boot up, my user profile seems to be missing I have only ever had one user profile since this is a personal laptop. My only option to log in to an account is “New user” and a password is...
  7. User account disappeared from laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User account disappeared from laptop: I went to log on to my user account on my laptop after not going on it for several months, however I had forgotten my pin. I clicked on forgotten my pin expecting there to be an option to change it or something but instead my account has now completely disappeared from the...
  8. User account disappeared from laptop

User account disappeared from laptop: I went to log on to my user account on my laptop after not going on it for several months, however I had forgotten my pin. I clicked on forgotten my pin expecting there to be an option to change it or something but instead my account has now completely disappeared from the...
  9. User Account Disappearing From Welcome Screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User Account Disappearing From Welcome Screen: (I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask so let me know if I should post elsewhere) I have my PC running Windows 10 Education set up with two users on it: one administrator (me) and one standard user (my brother). After my brother logs out of his profile, mine doesn't...
  10. Retrieve Minecraft Key On An Account, Which Is Not Accessible.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Retrieve Minecraft Key On An Account, Which Is Not Accessible.: Hello, I had a minecraft key I had from my mojang account that was redeemed on a separate Microsoft account a year ago, And I have no idea what the login information was and I don't have it hooked up to my main either. Please help thanks ***Changed Original Title From:...