Windows 10: Retrieve Windows 10 Professional product key for a new PC

Discus and support Retrieve Windows 10 Professional product key for a new PC in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all, Recently my old PC which had Win 10 Pro on it died. The hard drive died. I am building a new PC and I would like to reuse the Win 10 Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ScottL9155, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Retrieve Windows 10 Professional product key for a new PC

Hi all,

Recently my old PC which had Win 10 Pro on it died. The hard drive died.

I am building a new PC and I would like to reuse the Win 10 Pro license that I had.

Is there a way to retrieve the key so that I can use Win 10 again for my new PC?

Kind regards

:)

ScottL9155, Dec 7, 2020

2. Using Windows 10 Professional Product key to Windows 8.1 Professional

You have to buy windows 8.1 Pro.

The Windows 10 key is only for Windows 10.

There is Downgrade Rights but you don't qualify for it as you bought Windows 10 Pro yourself and they only apply to OEM preinstalled Windows 10 OEM licenses (Dell, HP, etc)

Here is the information about Downgrade rights. It is an old Microsoft link which they removed but the information still apples>

Device Partner Center

Downgrade rights for Windows software
    The following OEM versions of Windows software are eligible for downgrade rights.

[table][tr][td]Windows 10 Pro includes downgrade rights to:
    • Windows 8.1 Pro
    • Windows 7 Professional
    [/td][td]Windows 8.1 Pro includes downgrade rights to:
    • Windows 7 Professional
    • Windows Vista Business
    [/td][td]Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate include downgrade rights to:
    • Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate
    • Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, or Windows XP x64 Edition
    Note Other OEM Windows 7 versions (for example, Windows 7 Home Basic and Windows 7 Home Premium) do not include downgrade rights.[/td][/tr][/table]

Note downgrade rights are only available as long as Microsoft provides support for that earlier version,
    as outlined in the
    Windows lifecycle fact sheet

Steps for an end user to downgrade Windows software

To downgrade eligible Windows software, end users must:

• Purchase a PC preinstalled with Windows software.
    • Accept the Microsoft Software License Terms.
    • Perform the downgrade process to the eligible downgrade product using the media/key from a genuine, previously licensed OEM or retail product.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Microsoft no longer sells any edition of Windows 8.1.

try amazon.com, etc.

Warning:

You do not buy a Product Key by itself, as they are normally stolen/pirated, Volume Licenses which are not for private use, or MSDN keys which are not to be sold by the original subscription holder.

Make sure that you buy the complete sealed package (DVD, license)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Shop.aspx

Read Section: Beware of Product Keys sold separately.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Bill Smithers, Dec 7, 2020
  3. Using Windows 10 Professional Product key to Windows 8.1 Professional

HI,

Due to some inconvenience while using Windows 10 Professional, I want to use Windows 8.1 Professional.

1. Can I use the Windows 10 Professional product key to activate & use Windows 8.1 Professional?

2. As I have already purchased Windows 10 Professional License, don't want to pay again for Windows 8.1 Professional.

Please Suggest...

Thanks..

VinayakParab, Dec 7, 2020
  4. SamhaCQ Win User

Retrieve Windows 10 Professional product key for a new PC

I installed a new version of windows with new product key, I need to retrieve my old product key from my pc

I installed a new version of windows with new product key, I need to retrieve my old product key from my pc

SamhaCQ, Dec 7, 2020
Thema:

Retrieve Windows 10 Professional product key for a new PC

1. Retrieve Windows 10 Professional product key for a new PC - Similar Threads - Retrieve Professional product

2. product key retrieval

in Windows 10 Gaming
    product key retrieval: My son originally had an windows 8.1 that he upgraded to windows 10. Recently we changed out his motherboard, cpu and ram. I completely forgot about making sure it was linked to his microsoft account. So now we need to activate it and can't. He has the original product key...
  3. product key retrieval

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    product key retrieval: My son originally had an windows 8.1 that he upgraded to windows 10. Recently we changed out his motherboard, cpu and ram. I completely forgot about making sure it was linked to his microsoft account. So now we need to activate it and can't. He has the original product key...
  4. Retrieve Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Retrieve Product Key: Can anyone advise me how to retrieve my WIN Pro Plus 2010 Product Key located in my PC order that I can "Activate" my Win Pro Plus 2010? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/retrieve-product-key/41a604ee-f6f0-4e52-97ea-35026f7d9d7a
  5. Retrieve Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Retrieve Product Key: Can anyone advise me how to retrieve my WIN Pro Plus 2010 Product Key located in my PC order that I can "Activate" my Win Pro Plus 2010? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/retrieve-product-key/41a604ee-f6f0-4e52-97ea-35026f7d9d7a
  6. Retrieve Product Key

7. Retrieve Product Key

Retrieve Product Key: Hi, I have reset my computer and can´t remember the product key for my MS Office - student. I made the purchase online. Have gone through my email but still can´t find it. How can I retrieve it?...
  8. Retrieve product key from laptop and put it on new pc

Retrieve product key from laptop and put it on new pc: So a while ago I bought this old laptop from the xp era that had windows 10 on it somehow. Because it was still so slow, I put linux on it and erased windows. The device still shows up in my devices, so I was wondering if I can get that product key somehow from my account and...
  9. product key retrieval

product key retrieval: Tricky question : I have a surface pro3 purchased with original OEM version of Win10 home. Boxes thrown away years ago. It was upgraded by corporate IT to Win10 enterprise and in doing so they completely wiped the restore drive. I now wish to use this PC with Win10 home...
  10. Retrieve Windows 10 Product key installed on the PC

Retrieve Windows 10 Product key installed on the PC: I purchased the PC with preinstalled windows 5 years back. Therefore I do not have the product key. The hard disk is giving problems and it needs to be replaced. Please share my activation key so I do not face any problems reloading windows. [ATTACH]...