Windows 10: Retrieving a deleted sticky note: snt-file doesn't contain recent entries

Discus and support Retrieving a deleted sticky note: snt-file doesn't contain recent entries in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I accidentally deleted a sticky note after which I searched the internet for ways to retrieve said sticky note. The solution that's mentioned the most... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Fredd33_V, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Fredd33_V Win User

Retrieving a deleted sticky note: snt-file doesn't contain recent entries

I accidentally deleted a sticky note after which I searched the internet for ways to retrieve said sticky note.
    The solution that's mentioned the most is to 1) go to the following path "%AppData%\Microsoft\Sticky Notes\", 2) open the .snt-file containing information from all sticky notes with a text editor such as Wordpad and 3) sift through the information (including code) in the file to locate the content of the deleted sticky note.

I followed that solution and succesfully opened the .snt-file, but I soon realised that while the file did contain content from the sticky note I accidentally deleted, the content was several months old, meaning that entries I made to the note for the recent 3-4 months were not there. That was true also for all of the other sticky notes I had not deleted. It just seemed that for some reason the .snt-file stopped updating at some point several months ago. It stirkes me as weird that the .snt-file contains older information, but not the most recent entries.
    Does anyone have an explanation for that?

:)

Fredd33_V, Jan 6, 2019

2. sticky notes

I have a situation in which we need the date and time stamp from an OPEN sticky note. If she closes it out, it will go into Sticky Notes SNT file which contains other deleted sticky notes and the date and time stamp for the entire folder. Any suggestions
    will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Officer Powell

***Category edited for clarity by the moderator.***

Gary Powell, Jan 6, 2019
  3. sticky notes

Was this the WIndows 10 Upgrade from WIndows 7, 8 or 8.1?

Check now for a C:\Windows.old folder that is created during an Upgrade. If that folder is found, you can

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows 10
    and then follow the steps here:

• To backup sticky notes in Windows 10/8.1/8/7:
    STEP 1. Type %AppData%\Microsoft\Sticky Notes in the windows.old folder Search box.

STEP 2. Copy StickyNotes.snt to a safe location.

• To restore sticky notes:
    STEP 1. Type %AppData%\Microsoft\Sticky Notes in start menu search box or run and press Enter.

STEP 2. Copy the StickyNotes.snt file from your backup folder and paste it in the folder that opens. Agree to overwrite the old file, or delete it first before copying. If it balks then install and use the

Take Ownership Shortcut
    on the folder so you can replace the .snt file.

If you don't have Windows.old folder, do you have a backup image of your old install which we can help you mount to browse into the old files?

If not then your notes may be lost. In the future use Notepad or Wordpad which can more easily save Files to your Documents, or back up the Sticky Notes file regularly following the above.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jan 6, 2019
  4. Retrieving a deleted sticky note: snt-file doesn't contain recent entries

Transfer Sticky Notes snt file to new PC with win 10 1607

I found and copied my snt file on my Win 7 machine. I have a new Win 10 machine with Anniversary Edition (ver 1607) and want to transfer my sticky notes to it.

The old path doesn't exist. I made a new sticky note on new pc, closed the program, and searched the entire C: drive for *.snt. Cant find it anywhere. How do I import old sticky notes to new machine?

Laura Sangree, Jan 6, 2019
Thema:

Retrieving a deleted sticky note: snt-file doesn't contain recent entries

1. Retrieving a deleted sticky note: snt-file doesn't contain recent entries - Similar Threads - Retrieving deleted sticky

2. Restoring Deleted Sticky Notes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring Deleted Sticky Notes: After accidentally deleting a sticky note, is there a way to restore the note? Also, is there any way to disable the shortcut of Ctrl+D to prevent accidental deletion? I'm using Sticky Notes 4.5.6.0 on Windows 10. Thank you....
  3. Restoring Deleted Sticky Notes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restoring Deleted Sticky Notes: After accidentally deleting a sticky note, is there a way to restore the note? Also, is there any way to disable the shortcut of Ctrl+D to prevent accidental deletion? I'm using Sticky Notes 4.5.6.0 on Windows 10. Thank you....
  4. Retrieve and Install Sticky Notes via PowerShell

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Retrieve and Install Sticky Notes via PowerShell: Hi, I'm in the same situation as someone who posted the same question in 2017: Retrieve and Install Sticky Notes via PowerShell I'm able to list 145 applications, for instance: PackageFullName : Microsoft.OneConnect_5.2006.1691.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe...
  5. Sticky Note

Sticky Note: Hi! After Windows update I can't open Sticky Note App. It shows that i'ts loading, but then disapear. I have there infomation that i really need and i understand that I can't use App reset option....
  6. .snt file full. Sticky Notes icon opens New and Empty. It _is_ there Just can't get it!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .snt file full. Sticky Notes icon opens New and Empty. It _is_ there Just can't get it!: I think File,..Storage rather than Windows Settings for this. w10 Dell Inspiron PC I had several windows open. I clicked the Sticky Icon in the tray. It came up fine. I put my cursor on it to scroll and it disappeared. Icon only brings up NEW empty. APPS and...
  7. Auto-Deleted Sticky Notes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Auto-Deleted Sticky Notes: Hi, my sticky notes are being deleted one by one by the system ever since I updated to the latest Windows version. And yes, it wasn't a mistake. I didn't accidentally close/delete the sticky notes by myself. It just randomly disappear by its own every time I turn on the...
  8. Finding an accidentally deleted Sticky Note

Finding an accidentally deleted Sticky Note: Hi, I accidentally deleted a sticky note and I had apparently disabled the permission before delete feature. I tried this – C:\Users\[Windows Userame]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Sticky Notes and Windows + R with Sticky Notes but the Sticky Notes folder does not exist....
  9. any way to retrieve lost sticky note?

any way to retrieve lost sticky note?: Windows 1803, windows store killed as well as all apps, lost sticky notes. None of the powershell methods will reinstall the windows store or its apps. Have several machines doing this. Is there any way to get the users sticky notes back? thank you....
  10. Delete Sticky Notes in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Delete Sticky Notes in Windows 10: How to: Delete Sticky Notes in Windows 10 How to Delete Sticky Notes in Windows 10 The Sticky Notes app is a preinstalled UWP (Universal Windows Platform) app in Windows 10. This apps allows you to create and save notes to the desktop of your Windows 10 PC. Thanks to a...