Windows 10: Retrieving Data From Drive That Won't Boot

Discus and support Retrieving Data From Drive That Won't Boot in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; The SSD drive on my computer will no longer boot windows. Windows tried all the built in repair tools it has but couldn't repair it. However, I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ROSSIGIANK, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Retrieving Data From Drive That Won't Boot

The SSD drive on my computer will no longer boot windows. Windows tried all the built in repair tools it has but couldn't repair it. However, I have been able to boot my pc from a usb pen drive and can access the drive, which seems to be working fine. I'd been intending to upgrade to a bigger SSD for a while and will take the opportunity to do so now. Now that I can access the drive I'm not really sure what to do next: I tried to backup the drive but it keeps failing saying the media is write protected. All my user settings and programs are on here and it would be nice to be able to restore if possible. Or would there be a way to repair or replace windows itself on the original drive (seeing as I can access it) without losing the data on there. I'm no computer tech, but would be interested to know peoples thoughts.

Many thanks in advance, Ross.

:)

ROSSIGIANK, Jan 3, 2019
  2. cereberus Win User

How to enable fast boot on PC

No. You can always use a live linux drive for example.

cereberus, Jan 3, 2019
  3. tops Win User
    Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

tops, Jan 3, 2019
  4. Retrieving Data From Drive That Won't Boot

Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Retrieving Data From Drive That Won't Boot :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Jan 3, 2019
Thema:

Retrieving Data From Drive That Won't Boot

1. Retrieving Data From Drive That Won't Boot - Similar Threads - Retrieving Data Drive

2. data retrieval

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    data retrieval: hi, does anyone of a good software data retriever ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-retrieval/e83120d9-104e-4296-a333-0a1de2d1a57a
  3. data retrieval

in Windows 10 Gaming
    data retrieval: hi, does anyone of a good software data retriever ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-retrieval/e83120d9-104e-4296-a333-0a1de2d1a57a
  4. data retrieval

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    data retrieval: does anyone know how to recover lost data manually with no software ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-retrieval/ff84667b-bccd-4f26-bba6-d2e4fc23ca0f
  5. data retrieval

data retrieval: does anyone know how to recover lost data manually with no software ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-retrieval/ff84667b-bccd-4f26-bba6-d2e4fc23ca0f
  6. Retrieving data from Volume 3 on a dual boot system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Retrieving data from Volume 3 on a dual boot system: Hello,I had trouble logging into Volume 3 due to a "sign-in process initialization failure". As a result, I was not able to login to the system, so I installed Windows 10 again on Volume 5. However, there is some important data still on Volume 3 and I need to retrieve it....
  7. Thumb Drive Data Retrieval

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumb Drive Data Retrieval: Does anyone know of a free way to retrieve data from a malfunctioning SD card? Most allow a free scan but not data retrieval. Thanks. 164157
  8. Retrieve all data from One Drive and the disable it.

Retrieve all data from One Drive and the disable it.: Windows 10 routinely places files out on OneDrive. Since I have loads of space on my C drive I plan to disable OneDrive and have all my files physically on my pc. It seems to me that in order to do that I need to move the data that's out there to my hard disk first, and I'm...
  9. Ho to retrieve data from a formatted hard drive

Ho to retrieve data from a formatted hard drive: Hi, Is it possible to retrieve data from a formatted hard drive? I made a mistake while I was working on several external hard drives at a time and ended up formatting the wrong disc, ie. my private files and folder's disc. and I need this data back. I know that there are...
  10. Retrieving documents from a Windows 10 hard drive that won't boot up

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Retrieving documents from a Windows 10 hard drive that won't boot up: Let me start by apologizing if this is the wrong area to post this. It seemed like the closest to my issue: My computer was originally Windows 7, upgraded for free to 10 during their upgrade campaign. I suspect I got a virus that my protection couldn't handle. My system...