Windows 10: Retrieving laptop win10 product key before replacing system HDD with a new SSD

Discus and support Retrieving laptop win10 product key before replacing system HDD with a new SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an Acer Aspire 5732Z laptop, originally bought with Win7 Home. Years ago Microsoft let me freely upgrade to Win10 Home. As far as I remember I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AlexMagen, May 25, 2020.

1. AlexMagen Win User

Retrieving laptop win10 product key before replacing system HDD with a new SSD

I have an Acer Aspire 5732Z laptop, originally bought with Win7 Home.

Years ago Microsoft let me freely upgrade to Win10 Home. As far as I remember I did not have to sign in with a new product key.

As the original HDD is quite slow, I think about replacing it with a new SSD.

My questions are:

1, Will I need to write a product key during the Win10 Home installation in the new SSD?

2. Can I use for that purpose the original Win 7 Home key?

3. If negative, then how do I retrieve my product key? I tried the cmd > wmic path SoftwarelicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey, but received no result.

Thank you for any help.

Alex

:)

AlexMagen, May 25, 2020

2. Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.

Hey,

I have an acer laptop that has an hdd with windows 10. I would like to replace this hdd with an ssd, but with a clean install of windows 10. Is there a way to transfer win 10 and activate it onto the ssd.

The laptop does not have an additional hdd option.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Nikaash

NikaashSenpai, May 25, 2020
  3. JayTeeHam Win User
    Reinstalling Win10 On New Hard Drive, current hdd is failing and i need to replace.

Reinstalling Win10 On New Hard Drive, current hdd is failing and i need to replace fast! Backup and restore misses several key files so can't transfer to new hdd.

I need to reinstall my winOS on a new hdd, current hard drive is failing fast! I bought Win8, upgraded to 8.1 free, then 10 free. I can't find Win 10 Product Key Only Product ID Listed In SysInfo.

Can I download Win10 for free somewhere, and locate the Product Key to install for free, or do I have to buy the complete WinOS 10 Pro to the tune of $200!!!? Help Please! Thanks so much!

JayTeeHam, May 25, 2020
  4. Retrieving laptop win10 product key before replacing system HDD with a new SSD

SSD disappeared and laptop acting weird after HDD replacement?

Hi!

Long story short (can give more details if it helps), started hearing sounds from laptop and correctly guessed hard disk was in danger of failing. Got it to the repair people before it failed, who copied my data to an external, then replaced my 1TB HDD with
    a 500GB HDD.

I've got a few more issues, but the simplest to answer would be... is it normal that I'm not seeing the second drive (D:/) that I used to have? Replacing the HDD and therefore reinstalling windows 10 shouldn't have messed with the SSD, right? And I'm guessing
    unless they physically took it out of the laptop (doubtful), it should still be there. However, laptop can't see it in Disk Management. Currently there's:

1. C: - about 465GB
    2. Disk 0 partition 3 - 100MB
    3. System reserved - 549MB

The original specifications say "128GB PCIe SSD" - where did it go?!

Thanks Retrieving laptop win10 product key before replacing system HDD with a new SSD :(

WannabeTechie2, May 25, 2020
Thema:

Retrieving laptop win10 product key before replacing system HDD with a new SSD

1. Retrieving laptop win10 product key before replacing system HDD with a new SSD - Similar Threads - Retrieving laptop win10

2. product key retrieval

in Windows 10 Gaming
    product key retrieval: My son originally had an windows 8.1 that he upgraded to windows 10. Recently we changed out his motherboard, cpu and ram. I completely forgot about making sure it was linked to his microsoft account. So now we need to activate it and can't. He has the original product key...
  3. product key retrieval

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    product key retrieval: My son originally had an windows 8.1 that he upgraded to windows 10. Recently we changed out his motherboard, cpu and ram. I completely forgot about making sure it was linked to his microsoft account. So now we need to activate it and can't. He has the original product key...
  4. Retrieve Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Retrieve Product Key: Can anyone advise me how to retrieve my WIN Pro Plus 2010 Product Key located in my PC order that I can "Activate" my Win Pro Plus 2010? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/retrieve-product-key/41a604ee-f6f0-4e52-97ea-35026f7d9d7a
  5. Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop: I have a Lenovo laptop running on Windows 10. I am planning to replace the the hard drive from HDD to SSD to enhance the speed. My question is, How can i transfer the existing OS from the HDD to the new SSD using the back-up file?...
  6. Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop: I have a Lenovo laptop running on Windows 10. I am planning to replace the the hard drive from HDD to SSD to enhance the speed. My question is, How can i transfer the existing OS from the HDD to the new SSD using the back-up file?...
  7. Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Retrieve Product Key

Retrieve Product Key: Hi, I have reset my computer and can´t remember the product key for my MS Office - student. I made the purchase online. Have gone through my email but still can´t find it. How can I retrieve it?...
  9. Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.: Hey, I have an acer laptop that has an hdd with windows 10. I would like to replace this hdd with an ssd, but with a clean install of windows 10. Is there a way to transfer win 10 and activate it onto the ssd. The laptop does not have an additional hdd option. Thanks in...
  10. Retrieve product key from laptop and put it on new pc

Retrieve product key from laptop and put it on new pc: So a while ago I bought this old laptop from the xp era that had windows 10 on it somehow. Because it was still so slow, I put linux on it and erased windows. The device still shows up in my devices, so I was wondering if I can get that product key somehow from my account and...