Windows 10: Retrieving Windows old files

Discus and support Retrieving Windows old files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Had a disaster yesterday when an update crashed my main desktop. So I ended up doing a clean install and worst of all have been a bit lazy backing up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ICIT2LOL, Jul 30, 2021.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Retrieving Windows old files

Had a disaster yesterday when an update crashed my main desktop. So I ended up doing a clean install and worst of all have been a bit lazy backing up my stuff. So what I would like to know is there any way of retrieving those old files from the previous installation?? Any ideas please.

:)

ICIT2LOL, Jul 30, 2021
  2. Mel Tar Win User

Retrieving old programs on Windows 10

Hi Carl,

To retrieve your old files, please click and follow the article below:

Retrieve files from the Windows.old folder

Note: You can retrieve the old files but not the programs installed on your PC after the upgrade. Programs that has been removed must be reinstalled.

Let us know if you need further help.

Mel Tar, Jul 30, 2021
  3. retrieve lost file from windows.old

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

We understand that you would like to retrieve the file that was deleted accidentally.

I would like to let you know that it is not possible to retrieve the deleted data by performing a System restore. However, I would suggest that you check if you can retrieve the file from the
    windows.old folder.

Refer the following link to learn how to retrieve files from the windows.old folder.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-files-upgrade-windows-old (Applies to Windows
    10)

Hope this help you. Keep us posted with the status of the issue. We’ll be glad to assist if you need further assistance.
    Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Jul 30, 2021
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 30, 2021
Thema:

1. Retrieving Windows old files - Similar Threads - Retrieving old files

2. Any Way To Retrieve My Old Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Any Way To Retrieve My Old Files: I had my Windows 10 PC Reset and lost everything, when I signed back in with the same email address, the one I used before, my files,apps,and basically everything was gone, and was back to from the start of a fresh windows 10 beginning.Any Ideas to get it back somehow, and oh...
  3. Any Way To Retrieve My Old Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Any Way To Retrieve My Old Files: I had my Windows 10 PC Reset and lost everything, when I signed back in with the same email address, the one I used before, my files,apps,and basically everything was gone, and was back to from the start of a fresh windows 10 beginning.Any Ideas to get it back somehow, and oh...
  4. Any Way To Retrieve My Old Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I can't retrieve old emails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't retrieve old emails: I can't retrieve old emails https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-retrieve-old-emails/c0dd652c-deec-42cf-ad01-ef7852ca79b0
  6. How to read my old laptop drive and retrieve it files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to read my old laptop drive and retrieve it files: I have connected my old laptop drive to my other laptop. However, I can see the drive, but there are no visible folders in the drive that have the OS system. Althrough, I can access all the files that I have saved in the partition that I have created long back. I can't...
  7. Windows Can't Retrieve Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Can't Retrieve Files: Hey folks, I have a Surface 3 that's getting older and I wanted to export my Pictures folder to a USB stick. However when I opened the pictures folder, Windows couldn't open most pictures. The pictures are in JPG format Here are the errors: when opening the pictures in...
  8. How to retrieve old windows copy?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to retrieve old windows copy?: Hello there, So the case is , I have recently bought a new laptop "HP Zbook 15 G3 Model:y6k26es" from a laptop vendor at my city,however under my laptop it says that the laptop is provided with Windows 10 Pro copy,however this isn't true here, my operating system currently is...
  9. retrieving old emails on windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    retrieving old emails on windows 10: Hello, I am having some trouble retrieving old e-mails storede in the computer. When I open Courrier it only shows the e-mails that are stored in my external mail box. How can I read old emails stored in the computer? Thank you...
  10. Retrieving old taskbar on new PC

in Windows 10 Support
    Retrieving old taskbar on new PC: Hello W10 Forum, If I were to buy a new PC with Windows 10, could I access my old taskbar on my previous PC? (assuming old PC has malfunctioned and won't boot up) Thank you. 122159