Windows 10: Return searching inside files to auto filter without needing to press enter

Discus and support Return searching inside files to auto filter without needing to press enter in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So after an update not long ago for some reason it seemed my files stopped auto sorting when I typed in the search bar. For example if I wanted to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AaronPfeffer, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Return searching inside files to auto filter without needing to press enter

So after an update not long ago for some reason it seemed my files stopped auto sorting when I typed in the search bar.

For example if I wanted to search for a specific picture in my pictures folder all I had to do was type the first little bit in the search bar and without even pressing enter it would auto filter and show me all related pictures with a similar title. Then all I have to do is backspace/delete what's in the search bar and it'll return to how it was before I typed in the bar.
    Now it only shows a tiny itty bitty drop down when I type in the search bar and I'm forced to press enter in order for it to actually do anything and do the search and when I delete what's in the search bar it's now stuck on that parameter and I have to use a backspace key to go back to the file almost like it was in a different file or something.

Is there any way to go back to the auto filter system that's way faster and easier?

:)

AaronPfeffer, Dec 29, 2020
  2. Try0x101 Win User

Cortana search filter list

I have a lot of space for display content in Cortana search list, and 80% of it not used because Cortana sorting items by types.
    How disable all filters and make visible all suggested content?

Return searching inside files to auto filter without needing to press enter [​IMG]

Try0x101, Dec 29, 2020
  3. Search without Cortana

Hi,

The search function on Cortana showing both local and online suggestions is designed to help users to gain full access to all the possible search results. If you're trying to search for a local file without picking up online suggestions, we recommend that
    you use the filter option to refine the search. Here are the steps on how to set the filter:

• Type the word that you're trying to search.
    • Select the appropriate filter for the desired result.

Return searching inside files to auto filter without needing to press enter 8f635b1a-87cb-478c-89d6-f384502ffef7.png
    • Wait for the list to load and click the desired search result.

Basic searches like, function, settings, and location doesn't require filter. In addition, you can click the drop-down arrow for
    Filters to view other filter type.

Let us know should you need further assistance.

Darwin Dim, Dec 29, 2020
  4. Return searching inside files to auto filter without needing to press enter

Problem: Windows Search Does Not Return XPS Files

Hello Joe,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

Once again we appreciate your patience on this issue. I would like to assist you with further information from here.

If the Search and indexing capabilities are not working in Windows, you may refer to the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Start the “Windows Search” service manually from the Windows Service Console

Please try these steps and check if that works.

a) Press “Windows Logo” + “R” keys on the keyboard to open the “Run” command box.

b) Type “Services.msc” in the “Run” command box and press “Enter”.

c) In the “Services” window, search for the
    Windows Search service, right click on it and the click on “Properties” from its context menu.

d) In the properties window, check if the service is started, if not click on “Start”.

e) Also, make sure that the “Startup Type” is set as “Automatic”.

f) Click on “Apply” and then “OK” and restart the computer.

g) Now, check if the issue still persists.

Method 2:

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.

• Restart the computer.

Method 3:

If the above does not help, I suggest you to try the following steps to employ the DISM command lines:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope it helps this time.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

Return searching inside files to auto filter without needing to press enter

1. Return searching inside files to auto filter without needing to press enter - Similar Threads - Return searching inside

2. Windows Search not returning files

in Cortana
    Windows Search not returning files: This worked perfectly fine before when I was able to just type a file name such asautoclicker to get autoclicker.exe or to get song and get song.txt.But now, it does nothing.I have tried running the troubleshooter....
  3. Windows Search not returning files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search not returning files: This worked perfectly fine before when I was able to just type a file name such asautoclicker to get autoclicker.exe or to get song and get song.txt.But now, it does nothing.I have tried running the troubleshooter....
  4. Windows Search not returning files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows file explorer only searching after pressing enter.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows file explorer only searching after pressing enter.: I have Windows 10, file search after 'enter key' is annoying.So I enabled 'view option' in 'automatically type into the search box'.But that doesn't help me either.how can I fix this? Older windows version searched files or folders automatically without 'enter key'.I want to...
  6. Search Filter

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Search Filter: Under content filter I have turned on the filter inappropriate websites and searches. However it still allows searches that should be marked as inappropriate. Is there away to add words or phrases that can not be searched.Thanks in advance for any help or insight....
  7. Windows file explorer only searching after pressing enter.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows file explorer only searching after pressing enter.: Once every time I typed a letter in the search field it would show me the files but now it only searches when I press enter. It has been too annoying for me. [ATTACH] I have done that but it does nothing and still needs me to press enter before it searches. [ATTACH]...
  8. PIN log in without pressing enter

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    PIN log in without pressing enter: Windows 10. I have one PC that I enter my PIN and it logs in without my having to press the "enter" key. I have another PC that I enter my PIN and then must press "enter" before it logs in. What do I need to change to get the 2nd PC to log in like the 1st PC (not having...
  9. PIN log in without pressing enter

in Windows 10 Support
    PIN log in without pressing enter: Windows 10. I have one PC that I enter my PIN and it logs in without my having to press the "enter" key. I have another PC that I enter my PIN and then must press "enter" before it logs in. What do I need to change to get the 2nd PC to log in like the 1st PC (not having...
  10. having to press enter to search in file explorer after reinstalling windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    having to press enter to search in file explorer after reinstalling windows: [ATTACH] So i recently reinstalled windows using windows 10 media creation tool on a USB stick. After i did so, the search bar in the file explorer now requires me to press enter to start searching for the files i am looking for. In the past, it used to immediately make a...